Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

Alle

You still percieve intelligence somewhat in the realm of education. Malcolm may have an excellent short-term memory, but there is more to intelligence than that. Wisdom, cunning, memory, capacity to learn, creativity, intuition are all different factors to a persons intellect. I would never say that Malcolm is anything less than a genius, but the fact remains that he has consistantly been outwitted and outfoxed by his younger brother for the last several seasons of the show. Whether or not it was a conscious battle of wills between them, or if one was attempting to blindside the other, Dewey has often successfully second-guessed him. Their respective performance in school isn't quite open and shut since we know more one and less about the other. Keep in mind that when they admitted in season five that Dewey was a genius and was going to be tested, of course his classroom performance had to be such that it would merit this consideration from the school. Perhaps if the shows writers intended to exhibit Dewey's school performance like they did with Malcolm before him, then such an episode would have a seen-it-all-before effect on its audience. It would look rather repetitive and unoriginal, and compared to newer storyline ideas, just undesirable. Was it the writer's intention to put Dewey on par with Malcolm, or did they allow the audience to draw its own conclusions? We all draw our conclusions from what we see from it, and our conclusions can vary somewhat. But in my opinion, at least, is that in terms of guile, social graces, inventiveness, creativity, psychology and common sense, Dewey has a clear advantage over Malcolm. And much of those can't be taught in school. Malcolm was clearly a few steps ahead of his peers in the Krelboyne class, I won't deny that. But if you wish to compare Malcolm and Dewey's intelligence in educational forums, then you may consider it a default decision to Malcolm since his reputation is better known. Surely, though, can you sufficiently justify that if you know precious little about the other guys record?

I think that Malcolm is smarter, Dewy is wiser (possibly) but definiteely not smarter. I perceive intellignce in the form of academic achievement and not wisdom because wisdom is something different from intelligence. I believe there has not exactly been much evidence for Dewy's smartness, however form what they have shown, I say that Malcolm is smarter, I am not saying this because he's my favourite or that I hate Dewey or whatever, it's just objectionally, people keep on saying that Dewey has outfoxed Malcolm continually but it hasn't been that many times. Dewy is just msart musically and quite gifted acandemically, however I am not going to shower him twith praise about cunningness etc. As I do not believ he is the King Pin. I believ he is just above average, and personally if they any of them were to ever meet me I would clean the floor with them with my cunningness. Just kidding.(Sorry if I sounded like Cynthia!)

hvg3akaek

You still percieve intelligence somewhat in the realm of education.
Correct :) And I see no reason to change that view... :p

Malcolm may have an excellent short-term memory, but there is more to intelligence than that. Wisdom, cunning, memory, capacity to learn, creativity, intuition are all different factors to a persons intellect.
Actually, its far more than just short-term memory. But, in Wisdom being part of Intelligence? I thoroughly disagree.

Intelligence is very much 'knowing' stuff. Being able to calculate things in one's head, being able to memorise facts, pretty much being able to perform well at various tests and exams.

Wisdom is different to that. You think of someone intelligent, and the stereotypical scientist comes to mind. Someone wise, however, is the old eccentric man. If you want to know how certain chemicals will react with certain materials, you go to the smart guy. If you want help with your girlfriend, you go to the wise guy.

I would never say that Malcolm is anything less than a genius, but the fact remains that he has consistantly been outwitted and outfoxed by his younger brother for the last several seasons of the show. Whether or not it was a conscious battle of wills between them, or if one was attempting to blindside the other, Dewey has often successfully second-guessed him.
Hrmm..I will have to go through them and compile some sort of list :) I do not recall it being a 'consistent' case of outwitting, but where Dewey did come out on top, it was because it was not a battle of smarts, but playing a failing of Malcolm's insecurities. This, once more, talks more about some of Malcolm's problems, than about Deweys supposed brilliance.

Their respective performance in school isn't quite open and shut since we know more one and less about the other. Keep in mind that when they admitted in season five that Dewey was a genius and was going to be tested, of course his classroom performance had to be such that it would merit this consideration from the school. Perhaps if the shows writers intended to exhibit Dewey's school performance like they did with Malcolm before him, then such an episode would have a seen-it-all-before effect on its audience. It would look rather repetitive and unoriginal, and compared to newer storyline ideas, just undesirable. Was it the writer's intention to put Dewey on par with Malcolm, or did they allow the audience to draw its own conclusions?
I think the very fact that they did not show Dewey to be smarter than Malcolm answers this all for us :)

However - they never 'admitted' that Dewey was a genius, only that he was going to be tested, to see if he was.

And again - with the 'seen it before' problem, that is a good reason for the creators not to make Dewey as smart, or smarter, than Malcolm. Specifically, because it subtracts from Malcolm's specialness. Hence, we see Dewey excel in other areas - his music (which Malcolm fails at), and his relationships with others. Malcolm keeps his smarts, Dewey goes elsewhere.

But if you wish to compare Malcolm and Dewey's intelligence in educational forums, then you may consider it a default decision to Malcolm since his reputation is better known. Surely, though, can you sufficiently justify that if you know precious little about the other guys record?
Once again - the fact that there is noting much for Dewey is a positive for him not being smarter.

I think that Malcolm is smarter, Dewy is wiser (possibly) but definiteely not smarter. I perceive intellignce in the form of academic achievement and not wisdom because wisdom is something different from intelligence. I believe there has not exactly been much evidence for Dewy's smartness, however form what they have shown, I say that Malcolm is smarter, I am not saying this because he's my favourite or that I hate Dewey or whatever, it's just objectionally, people keep on saying that Dewey has outfoxed Malcolm continually but it hasn't been that many times. Dewy is just msart musically and quite gifted acandemically, however I am not going to shower him twith praise about cunningness etc. As I do not believ he is the King Pin. I believ he is just above average, and personally if they any of them were to ever meet me I would clean the floor with them with my cunningness. Just kidding.(Sorry if I sounded like Cynthia!)
I agree with most of this! :D But...are you saying that Malcolm is 'just above average'? Care to rewatch the Krellboyne picnic, and comment on that again? ;)

Alle

Well I guess your mind is made up, huh? Highly intelligent for you is strictly doing well at school or having a doctorate, Ph.D, etc. But, being me, I think I'll keep pressing my argument.

Wisdom is an intellectual factor. It can gradually be learned through the long years of a lifetime, or someone can possess it early. A mentally-challenged savant with a superior capacity for memory or with a particular category of knowledge cannot be wise. While it may not be a desired trait for an I.Q. test, it is still an underrated aspect of intelligence, and without it, no one would have the werewithal to court women, make overtures to potential friends, and before you know it, society will grind to a halt because everyone is just too damn afraid of each other.

List of episodes involving Dewey one-upping Malcolm:
1)Convention
2)Army Buddy
3)Blackout
4)A.A.
5)Hal's Dentist

List of episode involving Malcolm's failed schemes against Dewey:
1)Convention
2)Dewey's Dog
3)Jury Duty
4)Dewey's Special Class
5)Buseys Run Away
6)A.A.

Not only are Dewey's actions in recent years consistant of someone smarter than their age would suggest, but the manner in which he speaks is too often apparent to dismiss as just some comedic device. You're right as far as stating outright that Dewey's being smarter would reduce Malcolm's importance to the show. Nevertheless, that aspect of the show is now too deeply entrenched to dismiss as nothing.

And returning to the topic of education, the writers left the subject of Dewey's school performance largely unexplained so fans could freely interpret it as they please. For me, it could at least be roughly similar to Malcolm's performance. For you, the lack of mention indicates nothing exceptional about it.

So I suppose, Mr hgv3akaek, or if that is your real name, that we both have no choice but to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
LOL I cannot believe this argument is still going on...but I am still enjoying it. Allow me to put in a couple of cents. According to Google Dictionary, "wisdom" is the accumulation of knowledge while "intelligence" is the ability to comprehend. So Malcolm is definitely the more intelligent of the two, but the definition of wisdom could be taken a number of different directions. We could say that because Malcolm is able to comprehend all of that knowledge, he must have more wisdom because he has of course acquired it. But even though Dewey isn't a walking encyclopedia, has he accumulated just as much knowledge? How can we equate knowledge of science to knowledge of music? Which is more valuable? Ponder over these questions as your debate continues.

Gouki

So Malcolm is definitely the more intelligent of the two, but the definition of wisdom could be taken a number of different directions.

While this the most probable, it's not exactly definite.

Don't forget Dewey was able to recall things Malcolm had told him in the past, complete conversations about scientific explanations, and teach an entire class of creepy--but not stupid--kids.

Alle

LOL I cannot believe this argument is still going on...but I am still enjoying it. Allow me to put in a couple of cents. According to Google Dictionary, "wisdom" is the accumulation of knowledge while "intelligence" is the ability to comprehend. So Malcolm is definitely the more intelligent of the two, but the definition of wisdom could be taken a number of different directions. We could say that because Malcolm is able to comprehend all of that knowledge, he must have more wisdom because he has of course acquired it. But even though Dewey isn't a walking encyclopedia, has he accumulated just as much knowledge? How can we equate knowledge of science to knowledge of music? Which is more valuable? Ponder over these questions as your debate continues.

Neither one's knowledge or interest of science or music is more important than the other. This is about individuals, not which field of expertise is superior. It would be ignorant to assume that scientists are automatically smarter than musicians simply by mere virtue of what they know about.

If it matters, Dewey did recall in his "Special Class" episode about Malcolm explaining the finer points of the 'Doppler Effect', and revealed not only an accurate memory by reciting it word for word, but how well he understood it by breaking it down for a fellow classmate. There is also the fact Malcolm thought of revising negative answers for Dewey's upcoming I.Q. test in that episode. That alone tells me that Malcolm seems to be aware of Dewey's intelligence, otherwise he wouldn't have bothered sabotaging his younger brother's entry in the 'gifted program'. And not long after Dewey purposefully failing the test got him relegated to Special Ed and Malcolm tried to make amends by informing Dewey's school counselor about the situation, she did mention that the failed I.Q. test did not match up with what seems to be his usual classroom performance, and was quite willing to have him resit the test.

In "Malcolm Visits College" as I have previously mentioned, Dewey quite ably constructed a working piano out of various items around the house. Such an achievement cannot be done without a dint of intelligence and background knowledge in electrics and design. He had no blueprints except what he had in his head, he had zero assistance in that project. If that undertaking is not a testament to that boy's genius, then I don't know what is. Also Dewey has:

Skillfully crafted animal figures from candy-floss in "Lois' Sister".

In "Hal's Friend", he tricked Reese into believing that their mother was forwarding instructions over the phone regardless of whom really was speaking. The deception didn't last, but still, pretty crafty while it lasted.

Impressed on Hal in "Living Will" that the neighbour who entrusted him with power of attorney, would not instantly die upon having his life-support switched off. Going on a thorough explanation until an aghast Hal remarked that "as if I don't get enough of the know it all stuff from Malcolm."

Went along with Reese's plan to mail himself to China in "Jessica Stays Over", only he pulled out all the stops to make Reese's "journey" as realistic as possible, such as having a kipper on a plate and a fan to blow the scent around the garage to simulate the smell of a port, and routinely kicked the box to make Reese's trip as uncomfortable as possible. Lois found out of course, but left it alone when Dewey reassured her that Reese was still alive and well.

Told Lois in "Forwards, Backwards" that he thought little of Abraham Lincoln as a person when he found out that he had suspended the law of Habeas Corpus in the state of Maryland during the American Civil War.

Spoke a few words in Italian to a waiter at a restaurant in "Malcolm Dates A Family."

Nominated some cocky little bastard in "Hal Sleepwalks" for Student Body President, then single-handedly destroyed that kid's reputation throughout the school by spreading rumours and flyers. Even went on a little rant about why he thinks democracy is inherently flawed in a rare revelation of his venomous contempt for the stupidity of others.

Convinced the Office of Pathology that he was a doctor in "Ida Loses A Leg", and had them mail a box of amputated legs to his house. Even knew the right words to say to them.

The legendary scavenger hunt he forced Hal and Lois into in "Morp". His last great storyline.

Blackmailed his principal and teacher into silence, threatening to expose their little operation if they report themselves as being falsely imprisoned in "Buseys Take A Hostage".

Made it all the way to Otto Mankusser's ranch by himself to see Francis in "Malcolm's job", and apparently without getting lost on the way (unlike Hal).

And of course his ability to write material that would be beyond his age-group, like his "Opera" as well as a passing mention of an earlier performance in "Victor's Other Family".

Does it strike anyone a bit curious why super-genius Malcolm kept falling for Dewey's schemes, like as if he didn't remember what happened to him the last time? He's far from stupid, in fact he has proven his ability to pull the wool over other people's eyes too. But all the same, whenever Dewey tricked him, he either didn't realize he had been decieved or did not find out until it was too late. Perhaps Malcolm's short-comings in personality do play a part in that, but thats hardly an excuse to blithely walk into his brother's deceptions like a fly drawn towards a lightbulb.

Like I have explained before, they don't tacitly claim that Dewey is a genius. Instead its strongly implied that he is, and dropping various hints around to support the notion. An ounce of action is worth a pound of words.

Last edited:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
While this the most probable, it's not exactly definite.

Don't forget Dewey was able to recall things Malcolm had told him in the past, complete conversations about scientific explanations, and teach an entire class of creepy--but not stupid--kids.
But it was Malcolm that was able to remember all of the questions and answers to the Krelboyne Entry test. (Dewey's Special Class)

@Alle all very good points but most of them were situations where Dewey was very obviously smarter. We know he's smarter than the Buseys and than Reese....but what about Malcolm?

Last edited:

Alle

But it was Malcolm that was able to remember all of the questions and answers to the Krelboyne Entry test. (Dewey's Special Class)

@Alle all very good points but most of them were situations where Dewey was very obviously smarter. We know he's smarter than the Buseys and than Reese....but what about Malcolm?

Malcolm remembering the answers to krelboyne test from several years earlier does not contradict anything. He wasn't intending for his brother a successful entry. Malcolm got Reese to do the revision, and gave Dewey the notes and advised him to give those answers for the test. It was not within his right to persuade him to fail, and should have kept his reservations to himself. If I was Dewey, I would have definately told Malcolm to shove those answers up his arse and to mind his own damn business.

And Yardgames, are you saying that someone can only be intelligent under different circumstances? Because that sounds kind of silly to me. Also, I think I've more than made my argument. Some of you still believe Malcolm is the smart one out of the two because that he consistantly got top marks at school. But no one has actually proven that Dewey has not, while I and even a neutral Gouki at least have furnished this thread with details pointing to his intelligence. But if some of you can only scrutinize intelligence in terms of education, then I can't give anymore answers. I'm thinking of other outlets of intelligence apart from education. No one knows how they compare in terms of scholarly progress, but I still give Dewey a few extra points in socializing, street smarts, manipulation, subterfuge, creativity and cunning. Whatever anyone else says, I stand by my claim. He at least deserves to be recognised as a genius does he not?

Last edited:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't know, he failed the IQ test and was never re-tested. On the other hand, IQs aren't really used any more today. Psychologists say that everyone is smart in their own ways--you know, multiple intellgiences.

Alle

Can I just ask, Yardgames, that if you read my entire post before responding? Because if you did, you would know better than to basically state that Dewey failed the test on his own ability. If the failure was intentional, then obviously the test results don't mean squat anyway, since it was a planned failure. On the otherhand, I personally don't need I.Q. test scores to tell me how clever someone is.

Last edited by a moderator:

hvg3akaek

List of episodes involving Dewey one-upping Malcolm:
1)Convention
2)Army Buddy
3)Blackout
4)A.A.
5)Hal's Dentist
What we really need to see is Dewey outsmarting Malcolm. Not just beating him, because that can be done by Reese or by his parents or by many others. Actually outsmarting him - smarts vs smarts, and Dewey coming out on top.

1) I can not see this as a display of intelligence, really :) I think that what is more on display is that Malcolm and Reese both fail miserably at relating to females, and Dewey still has his cuteness on his side. So, Dewey wins by being cute.

2) Again, this is not a battle of intelligence. Dewey is clearly the more rational of the two, and Malcolm has issues that allow him to have a low price on his self esteem - but that is a common idea with Malcolm.

3) More of Malcolm's failing with relating to women :) Now, how "smart" is it really to drug someone? With ready-to-apply drugged sauces? No, not a display of smarts.

4) This is a better example - but seriously, short of working together (which would have been a simple solution: "Lets drop Dewey off first"), how could they have won? It also highlights Malcolm's obsession and desire to do destruction :)

5) not really a good example of one-upping, as Malcolm was so zoned out to begin with :p Its more an example of great strength - moving both mattresses and Malcolm whilst keeping Malcolm asleep...so, should we assume that Dewey is stronger than Reese from this episode? ;) Has it been 'left up to the viewer to work it out"?

Anyway, I am still on season three in my rewatch, where it is still very obvious that Dewey is not a competitor for Malcolm's smarts. Although, some of your examples, Convention and Dewey's Dog, do come from that era! :D

Remember that in Dewey's Dog, not only was it not a smart thing to bring home the stray dog, but he 'beat' his brothers simply by force/strength, and Reese 'outsmarted' him in regards to the roast! Finally, they were able to get rid of the dog, and won in the end - does this mean that Reese is also smarter than Dewey? :D

There was also a cold opener in S3 where Reese and malcolm were catching a ball, with Dewey trying to join in. When it went in the gutter, they convinced him to go in, promising that they would let him join. But they didn't. And Malcolm mentions that they had done this over 50 times. Clearly, this is not a point in favour of the Dewey-is-super-smart camp ;)

hvg3akaek

Neither one's knowledge or interest of science or music is more important than the other.
Absolutely :) I am not trying to rank the importance of one ability over another!

This is about individuals, not which field of expertise is superior. It would be ignorant to assume that scientists are automatically smarter than musicians simply by mere virtue of what they know about.
But this I strongly disagree with. If the musician cannot do any science, and the scientist cannot do any music, then I would say the scientist is smarter than the musician. Because music is not about being smart.

You can be smart and do well with music, you can be not smart, and still do well with music. You can be smart and do well with science. but if you are not smart, you will not do well with science.

This is very general speaking, but the basic idea is there.

It was not within his right to persuade him to fail, and should have kept his reservations to himself. If I was Dewey, I would have definately told Malcolm to shove those answers up his arse and to mind his own damn business.
Even after the "The coolest person in the class was me" line? :D

Actually, this could be another point in favour of Dewey not being so super smart! If you were so smart, surely you would want to be in a situation to help that?

Alle

What we really need to see is Dewey outsmarting Malcolm. Not just beating him, because that can be done by Reese or by his parents or by many others. Actually outsmarting him - smarts vs smarts, and Dewey coming out on top.

1) I can not see this as a display of intelligence, really :) I think that what is more on display is that Malcolm and Reese both fail miserably at relating to females, and Dewey still has his cuteness on his side. So, Dewey wins by being cute.

2) Again, this is not a battle of intelligence. Dewey is clearly the more rational of the two, and Malcolm has issues that allow him to have a low price on his self esteem - but that is a common idea with Malcolm.

3) More of Malcolm's failing with relating to women :) Now, how "smart" is it really to drug someone? With ready-to-apply drugged sauces? No, not a display of smarts.

4) This is a better example - but seriously, short of working together (which would have been a simple solution: "Lets drop Dewey off first"), how could they have won? It also highlights Malcolm's obsession and desire to do destruction :)

5) not really a good example of one-upping, as Malcolm was so zoned out to begin with :p Its more an example of great strength - moving both mattresses and Malcolm whilst keeping Malcolm asleep...so, should we assume that Dewey is stronger than Reese from this episode? ;) Has it been 'left up to the viewer to work it out"?

Anyway, I am still on season three in my rewatch, where it is still very obvious that Dewey is not a competitor for Malcolm's smarts. Although, some of your examples, Convention and Dewey's Dog, do come from that era! :D

Remember that in Dewey's Dog, not only was it not a smart thing to bring home the stray dog, but he 'beat' his brothers simply by force/strength, and Reese 'outsmarted' him in regards to the roast! Finally, they were able to get rid of the dog, and won in the end - does this mean that Reese is also smarter than Dewey? :D

There was also a cold opener in S3 where Reese and malcolm were catching a ball, with Dewey trying to join in. When it went in the gutter, they convinced him to go in, promising that they would let him join. But they didn't. And Malcolm mentions that they had done this over 50 times. Clearly, this is not a point in favour of the Dewey-is-super-smart camp ;)

1)My point there was that at the tender age of six, Dewey actually realizes that having a hot woman warming to him was not an opportunity to be wasted. The scene at the end of "Convention" where Reese and Malcolm threatened to torch his teddybear, instead of naively running to save it, he simply locked all the doors in the house, looked at them with that smug 'f**k you' expression on his face, and got back into bed with Vicky.

2) I don't care how low his self-esteem is, Malcolm could have just refused to agree to publically humiliate himself for small amounts of cash. Also, despite having those comics in his possession for years, he didn't bother to look into the possibility of selling them and maybe finding out that one of them alone was worth several grand. One gets the impression that he had them in room for years and hadn't even read them let alone explore their market value. This is of course speculation, but then again why else would he blithely give them away on a whim?

3) It wasn't merely the fact he drugged everyone in his family to get some time alone with the Dutch girls, but everyone else had a scheme in motion and no one factored him into their plans. Dewey was the wild-card. He initiatally wanted something very simple that night, but Hal cancelled it in favour of something else, and Dewey gets largely ignored whenever he protests. Then along comes Malcolm and his Dutch trio, Dewey takes stock of the situation. Reese and Malcolm plan on a kinky evening with their secret guests, Hal, Lois and Francis are too pre-occupied with what their doing. Well, Dewey reckons, perhaps everyone should enjoy Reese's drugged laced food. He turned a convoluted situation like this to his advantage. You can talk all you want about Malcolm's lack of skill with the ladies, but I personally call that using your head.

4)Malcolm and Reese could have just dropped him off to the damn arcade and then go off on their path of hijinks and vandalism. But whenever they dismiss or threaten Dewey, they only create a new problem for themselves. It simply never occurs to them to placate him with something so mundane and effortless. By being rude and condescending, they provoke him to scupper their plans and run them around in circles, which of course proves more enjoyable for Dewey then what he originally planned. No matter what they try to do with him, he always seems to have an ace up his sleeve. A.A. does highlight Malcolm and Reese's desire for destruction, but also showcases Dewey's cleverness in turning their desires against them.

5)Actually, my point with that episode was that Malcolm totally bought what Dewey told him that not only had he slept for a couple of days (well technically he had) but also the whole mattress thing was a dream. Well, at least it shows how smooth a liar Dewey is. But how silly was Malcolm for thinking he can spend his days sleeping in that bed. I guess Dewey has stronger will power as well. As for how he moved such a heavy mattress without disturbing Malcolm, well, if he can squeeze himself in a very small box and vanish before the very eyes of dozens of onlookers in the middle of a crowded street, then I suppose theres not much he can't do.

6) Dewey was still living in his own little childhood dream-world in season three. And long before the shows writing team decided to confirm that he was a genius.

7) Moments after Malcolm and Reese found out about ' Marshmellow's ' existance in "Dewey's Dog" they tried to get Dewey canned for it, but thwarted their intentions by taking the fall for his dogs mess. He doesn't care so much about getting into trouble, as long as he can keep the pitbull's presence a secret. And at what point did Reese outwit Dewey over the pot-roast? I don't recall that happening.

8) Again, Dewey was still living in his O.L.C.D.W. Plus he doesn't have any regular friends, his flippant brothers were all he had.

9) You still assume that Dewey can't do science. Neither of us truely knows that. But I at least have pointed out examples suggesting that he might, whereas you have no proof whatsoever that he's incapable. Need I remind of the occasion when he successfully jerry-rigged a piano, as well as the time he broke down the basics of the Doppler Effect so a fellow student could understand it?

10) Other then wanting to avoid being like Malcolm, even Dewey isn't immune to lapses of judgement. Although those things seem to come naturally for your boy Malcolm.:)

The writers created the show therefore any information they omitted is not set in stone, so we can all argue about who's smarter until the cows come home. Me, I still think Malcolm is smarter, Dewey is also very smart but not as much as Malcolm. And as for wisdom none of them are, otherwise they wouldn't get into so much trouble and do stupid things, furthermore, they are only little children, only adults CAN be wise. Children cannot, it is impossible unless there's a magic force or if they had autism (maybe). Wisdom comes with years etc....

Alle

Nothing was omitted, the writers dropped hints and created situations that showcased his abilities. And all those things add up to one conclusion. And they're hardly little children. Reese and Malcolm were in their late teens while Dewey was on the cusp of adolescence. And given how well he calculates and predicts the reactions of his elders in the later episodes, coupled with his attitude towards them, wisdom often springs to mind there. He is often shown to be wiser than most adults he comes across, maybe you can tell me why that is? Plus, I doubt that "autism" is a factor in this. Of course, as he is a child, the temptation to do reckless childish things will often prove to strong to resist.

backfence

malcolm through the whole series has been the boy genius and as we've seen in the last few seasons of the show dewey really manipulated reese, i would have love to see him manipulate malcolm. i think that it would be pretty ironic if dewey ended up manipulating malcolm without malcolm's knowledge, i doubt malcolm would even find out, since malcolm has been the genius it would have been great to see the 165 iq malcolm be taken time and time again by a different sort of genius, well he could be a musical and traditional sense genius we don't know since he never took the test but all we know is he is a musical and i guess you could say common sense genius, work his magic of manipulation.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
malcolm through the whole series has been the boy genius and as we've seen in the last few seasons of the show dewey really manipulated reese, i would have love to see him manipulate malcolm. i think that it would be pretty ironic if dewey ended up manipulating malcolm without malcolm's knowledge, i doubt malcolm would even find out, since malcolm has been the genius it would have been great to see the 165 iq malcolm be taken time and time again by a different sort of genius, well he could be a musical and traditional sense genius we don't know since he never took the test but all we know is he is a musical and i guess you could say common sense genius, work his magic of manipulation.

Dewey has manipulated Malcolm several times. Right now I can think of at least two times in season seven - Army Buddy where he made Malcolm do all those crazy things to get his money back and A.A. where he manipulated Malcolm (and Reese) when they thought that he had they key to the car. He also manipulated the whole family in Blackout. Then he manipulated Malcolm and Reese in Dewey's Dog way back in season 3 where he made them dress up like women and sing to him. Those are just a few of the examples that I can think of right now. As I've said before, Malcolm may be a genius when it comes to "book knowledge", but Dewey definitely has talent when it comes to getting people to do what he wants :D

backfence

Dewey has manipulated Malcolm several times. Right now I can think of at least two times in season seven - Army Buddy where he made Malcolm do all those crazy things to get his money back and A.A. where he manipulated Malcolm (and Reese) when they thought that he had they key to the car. He also manipulated the whole family in Blackout. Then he manipulated Malcolm and Reese in Dewey's Dog way back in season 3 where he made them dress up like women and sing to him. Those are just a few of the examples that I can think of right now. As I've said before, Malcolm may be a genius when it comes to "book knowledge", but Dewey definitely has talent when it comes to getting people to do what he wants :D

well in army buddy basically malcolm wanted the money, i mean it's manipulating him with malcolm realizing it, he just wants the money, in the end hes lost his dignity but got back his money. in a.a he was very crafty, but i can remember dewey manipulating (just out of reese's sheer stupidity) reese to do his "bidding" basically. in the blackout he outsmarts the whole family, although reese confessed to having drugged malcolm before so i don't really see that as an accomplishment, i wish the bulk of the last few seasons had been dewey relating to malcolm in a superior way.

dewey really learned the craft almost too well from his brothers, he was a wonderful student which i think helped him to be a wonderful teacher to the kids in his special needs class. he has taken a bit from each of his siblings, as shown in the blackout by drugging his family after getting the idea from reese, although in the later seasons he was put in a place of "power" over the family (secretly), we still see him learning from his brothers without their knowledge, when you think about it what the writers did with the dewey character is really pretty amazing, he took over the family in a way very subtly so no one would notice and made anyone do whatever he wanted as shown time and time again in almost every episode of the later seasons.

in the beginning of the series he was like a bud/sponge learning from his brothers but the brothers didn't even realize it and just used him basically, he finally takes on a new role in the later seasons and becomes the most dangerous threat in the house, he's taken skills from each of his brothers and has been conditioned to be the super crafty, smart, and sneaky kid we know by the end of the series. we get a little insight into jamie's future by watching dewey prepare him for life in the wilkerson's house, we see as dewey teaches jamie the ropes and is also the only brother to treat him with a little respect, as refered to in an episode "break the cycle" which dewey declines to do but basically takes in jamie as his pupil later on.

in dewey's dog he manipulated them but by force and had the foresight to know that he better make the best of this because once his parents get home the dogs gone and malcolm and reese would show him no mercy. the craig aspect was pretty funny, he's so spineless and seeing him dressed like that made me think that by his actions he might as well wear that everyday and i wouldn't notice :), harsh but that's how i feel about craig, he had as little control/power as the boys did.

Last edited:

Alle

While Malcolm may have been aware of his circumstances to start with in "Army Buddy", his callowness is what made him lose sight of the fact that Dewey was toying with his pride. Manipulation doesn't always imply that the victim is unaware of whats happening to them.

In "A.A." after doing all they can to persuade Dewey to surrender the car-key to them, they were so desperate for it, precious time was running out, Reese and Malcolm didn't think to explore the possibility that Dewey may be lying to them, which he did. As fun as time at the arcade might have been, he clearly was enjoying himself with his mindgames.

The situation in "Blackout" was that something very simple was denied to him. He only wanted freaking cereal for dinner one evening, only Hal had other ideas superseding Dewey's. So upon learning that everyone had different, conflicting plans, he took matters into his own hands and spiked Reese's food. One would have thought that they realized by now that snubbing Dewey and rubbing his face in it carries its own penalties.

Dewey has evolved from the cute, credulous family underdog, to the most formidable master of psychological warfare ever born. He puts everyone in the shade. Never f**k with Dewey.:lol: