Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Malcolm's life turned out the way it was because he let it turn out that way with his negative attitude, and his self-centredness. He shouldn't be surprised that he has no friends because who would want to be friends with someone like that?

D

Deleted member 1693

Malcolm's life turned out the way it was because he let it turn out that way with his negative attitude, and his self-centredness. He shouldn't be surprised that he has no friends because who would want to be friends with someone like that?

Exactly. It's not just bad luck, it's his own doing.

And it's kinda sad that his personality doesn't change that much throughout.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
It's a shame we didn't find out what Dewey's Genius IQ was, because he was totally different from Malcolm - he has friends, he has a musical talent, and look at how perfectly he handled the childish crap Reese, Malcolm and Francis did to him in Kitty's Back and A.A. And, although he was impressed by Francis's friend's "Rock On" line (I forget which episode that is), Francis should have been ashamed that his 12 year old brother knew better than he did.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Just want to intercede here and say I can't believe yall have carried this conversation on for 11 pages. :D
Ok, continue....:D

Alle

It's a shame we didn't find out what Dewey's Genius IQ was, because he was totally different from Malcolm - he has friends, he has a musical talent, and look at how perfectly he handled the childish crap Reese, Malcolm and Francis did to him in Kitty's Back and A.A. And, although he was impressed by Francis's friend's "Rock On" line (I forget which episode that is), Francis should have been ashamed that his 12 year old brother knew better than he did.

It would have interesting to find out more about him, as many aspects of Dewey's life are still shrouded in mystery. I can't say I care what his actual given I.Q. is because we basically know how clever he is anyway. Admittedly, a scene where Dewey is studying in a krelboyne classroom would have been a fine way to show him at the end of the series. But really, would it matter if someone like was entered into an advanced program? He'll find success at whatever he does. As for final scene in "College Recruiters", it wasn't so much that he was impressed by the "rock on" phrase, just that he was earlier surprised by Francis's apparent good fortune when his friend told him about his band hitting the big-time. Dewey was simply quoting the dude when Lois gave him a lecture about him tanking in English, and Dewey temporalily assumed that things would sort themselves out. Obviously however, such delusions where quickly shattered since Francis fouled up at some juncture. Or maybe his grungy friend was humourously misinformed? Well who knows?!

Doctor person

In real life I think you all will find that the people with a higher IQ will often be the ones who lack use of common sense. If you ask me, Malcolm has the higher IQ and Dewey has more "street smarts". i also think that someone like Malcolm would most likely kill themselves because of the tremendous pressure put on them to achieve expectations of people that are much higher than expectations of anyone else around them. i have seen a case of this as a personal experience.

AlexTheMartian

In real life I think you all will find that the people with a higher IQ will often be the ones who lack use of common sense. If you ask me, Malcolm has the higher IQ and Dewey has more "street smarts". i also think that someone like Malcolm would most likely kill themselves because of the tremendous pressure put on them to achieve expectations of people that are much higher than expectations of anyone else around them. i have seen a case of this as a personal experience.

i totally agree. i wouldnt think malcolm is going to go so extreme as to kill himeslf, but i do see him having a rough life, and possibly a depressed part of his life. it is just so much pressure on him.

Alle

Assuming for a second that I.Q.s were an accurate and irrefutable method of measuring individual intellect, why would you think that someone with a higher I.Q. would have a shortfall of street smarts or common sense? Is not everyone different in their own way? And besides, I fail to see why you would say that Malcolm has a higher I.Q. when you know absolutely nothing about Dewey's.

D

Deleted member 1693

You're right in that everyone is different and smart in their own way. IQ's just confuse those basic principles. They often aren't accurate, anyway. Yet... all we can do is assume. 165 is pretty high, if you ask me. xD

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Assuming for a second that I.Q.s were an accurate and irrefutable method of measuring individual intellect, why would you think that someone with a higher I.Q. would have a shortfall of street smarts or common sense? Is not everyone different in their own way? And besides, I fail to see why you would say that Malcolm has a higher I.Q. when you know absolutely nothing about Dewey's.
I believe MITM was created several years before the idea of multiple intelligences became popular, so it's something they've had to fly with ever since. Personally, I think the idea of an IQ can still be used accurately, as long as people are willing to accept that IQs can change over time.

Doctor person

I am going off my experiences in real life here about the street smarts thing. I guess that i am only guessing that Malcolm has the highest IQ. Referring to an episode as to which i forget the name, Malcolm has a letter about Francis and he doesn't want Lois to know about it because it will get francis into trouble. Malcolm gives this letter to Dewey to protect, Dewey hides it under Lois's Pillow. i think that shows that Dewey would have a rather average IQ.

Alle

I am going off my experiences in real life here about the street smarts thing. I guess that i am only guessing that Malcolm has the highest IQ. Referring to an episode as to which i forget the name, Malcolm has a letter about Francis and he doesn't want Lois to know about it because it will get francis into trouble. Malcolm gives this letter to Dewey to protect, Dewey hides it under Lois's Pillow. i think that shows that Dewey would have a rather average IQ.

If you saw any episodes made after "Smunday" in season one, you would know that Dewey's later deeds would outweigh whatever he did in that episode. Besides, back then, he was five or six and stuck in his own little world where he would ask one thing, only to hear in his head a different version as to to what everyone else really said. That one minor incident, where he planted the letter under Lois' pillow, hardly defines his whole intellectual capacity. Even you must have done some uncharacteristically stupid things in your childhood. Many of us have done things we're not proud of.