Morp: Opinions and Analysis

Malcoholic

yardgames said:
He needs acceptance--when it's offered, he can't accept the acceptance.
You're right. In that last scene he lets slip that what he was really hoping for was a mass apology from the "cool" people. Just to add to your comments, Malcolm has always been conflicted between his emotional need to be liked and accepted by the regular kids and his intellectual contempt for what he sees as their silliness.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Man, what an excellent episode. I really likead all the plots.
It was really nice to see Reese taking a pretty girl out to the prom, and it would have been even better if they had stayed together, but surprisingly, Reese destroys his opportunity. I mean, he has never had many girls, and now he is at the prom with a fantastic girl, who likes him and nearly kisses him, but he just leaves, because she only "rented" him until midnight.
Malcolm's plot was very funny, too. Like Reese, in the beginning it was so nice of him to do an anti-prom-event and gather all the other "outsiders", but as soon as he went up and took the microphone, he destroyed this nice picture of him. After that, we could see the good old season 4 -5 Malcolm, who can only complain and search for acceptance. It's a pity the writers don't add some elements of his season 1-2 character, as they do with other characters.
Dewey's plot was actuall the least entertaining one, but it was still good. The whole idea reminded me a lot of Baby part I, in which Hal and Lois forget about Dewey's birthday and then he has many people who help him paying it back to Hal. Also in this episode, there were many people who helped Dewey and gave Hal some things back from his wallet. The end was just too cheesy for me, it seemed like "7th heaven", that young Dewey does everything only for Jamie in order to give him a good childhood. They should have added som MITM-like thing which would have destroyed this "nice" situation, in my opinion.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
They did--the destruction of the "niceness" was Lois' ensuring Dewey that he would be punished. I don't think it would have been MITM style to do anything worse--although things often go wrong and the characters are occassionally selfish, their caring for one another is another important aspect of the show. It's always shown through in Dewey the strongest and the episode was an excellent example of his selflessness.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Yeah, Lois even assured Dewey his food would be dipped in sardine juice for the next six months....does THAT sound nice?! I dont think so!:D