Wilkerson Floorplan

Richiepiep

Administrator
I wonder if the shots where they go from the inside to the outside, or talk to someone at the front door, do they film it at the house, or on the set and have a front porch built as a set.

That's an interesting angle, Alex! Now, if some people scrutinize episodes frame by frame to work out the floorplan dimensions, some might take up the next challenge of comparing trees, porches and the like from the inside and outside ;)

Rich

AlexTheMartian

I have worked as a compositor editing out mistakes and making changes to certain shows on television just a year ago (as well as making some graphics too), so I tend to be aware of these things. Most annoying things usually is reflections of cameramen in car windows :p

Richiepiep

Administrator
I have worked as a compositor editing out mistakes and making changes to certain shows on television just a year ago (as well as making some graphics too), so I tend to be aware of these things. Most annoying things usually is reflections of cameramen in car windows :p

Wow, so it's even a professional angle! That's a great thing to hear! I bet you notice a lot of detail (and are aware of the pitfalls of setting up certain scenes) that people like me never notice!

I remember watching the original 1932 King Kong back to back with Peter Jackson's remake, and being in awe of how far we've come, but also appreciating the original artistry and painstaking work of having to rig everything front of the camera and on primitive optical printers and still create a decent, yes, even thrilling illusion. But that took a while, because my initial reaction was, hey, even I could get rid of those imperfections (matte bleeds, props left in an image, glass reflections etc) in a few seconds with some Paintbox program!

The same with watching 2001:A Space Odyssey a few days after the latest Star Wars episode. But I'm getting sidetracked, sorry!

Rich

jcodol

I always thought he slept on the couch, or kicked Reese out of his bed and made him sleep on the couch :)

Anyone else notice that they don't really show the living room very much, they show the family room much more.

It was like this in our house. We spent most of our time in the family room(that's where the T.V. was!).

Kastor

I just used the floorplans to make their house in The Sims XD
I've got everyone here except for Francis, who I considered making and sending to Military School (since you can do that, I thought it'd be amusing), but... I didn't.

First thing Reese does is run back and forth in the middle of the street, Malcolm just kind of stands there, and Dewey took off in the opposite direction of everyone. I'm not sure where he went lol
Oh yeah, and Hal and Lois got all lovey-dovey as soon as the kids left for school.:D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I've got everyone here except for Francis, who I considered making and sending to Military School (since you can do that, I thought it'd be amusing), but... I didn't.

First thing Reese does is run back and forth in the middle of the street, Malcolm just kind of stands there, and Dewey took off in the opposite direction of everyone. I'm not sure where he went lol
Oh yeah, and Hal and Lois got all lovey-dovey as soon as the kids left for school.:D

Genius! Can you do screenshots or even video? Also I don't know much about The Sims but can you share stuff you make?

Richiepiep

Administrator
Intriguing! I only play adventure games, which have a preset strategy you have to follow exactly, but the cool thing about the Sims (which I don't play) is you can create your own characters and environments.

Even more intriguing, in episode Hal Coaches (3.16), Malcolm does exactly that: he plays a computer game 'The Virts' (that is, The Sims MITM-speak) and recreates his own family to see if he would come out on top!

Yes, I would love to see screen shots! Would there also be a tiny MITM space in Second Life? ;)

Rich

Lparsons7981

That idea is so awesome, i am actually thinking about installing the game now and doing it myself :D

tedwilder

"But looking at the outside of the house, it's clear there's another room there. I'll watch some of those earlier eps again and have a look. " amigo22 I think.

Thruth is It's a set . they are no real shoot inside that house. and I think that the plan cannot be made because it wasnt the same between 1st season and the last. Also you can check that as I said in goof section by zooming on the front door when kids are going to hospitals because of head injuries : what we see doesnt match the set. ( just think about the garage .. watch where it is on exterior shots... watch on S 1.. then 7 .. yep.. you'r right it moves!! lol )

Last edited:

zachman93

How is the secret bathroom right next to the master bedroom if we see Lois emptying it out (as she thought it was a closet) when Malcolm walks in through the entryway in High School Play?

jcodol

Zachman93,
This has been covered already.

The secret bathroom is adjacent to the livingroom. The door is next to the front door. But, it's not a bathroom. It's a closet that happened to have a toilet that was covered up for years. I know you hear it flush, but it was more of a joke. One explanation: The toilet in the bath could have been replaced at some point. The old toilet was put in the closet and still had water water in the tank. That would explain why Hal was able to flush it [once].