Is this "trivia" true?

Kratos

"Bryan Cranston (Hal), Justin Berfield (Reese) and Erik Per Sullivan (Dewey) are the only actors to appear in every episode."

I read that on Wikipedia, and thought... is that true? Sure Lois had a few eps off in season 4, Francis has been missing loads of late, and Jamie isnt really a main cast member... but Malcolm???? Hasnt he been in every episode too? And if not which episode was he missing from? :confused:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Good question. I just browsed over the episode guide and I can't remember any episodes that Malcolm didn't appear in. Some eps he had a smaller part in than others, but I'm pretty sure he's appeared in every episode--even if only briefly. I guess we'll have to wait for Sam to confirm this, I'm sure he'll know. :)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Good observation, PBundy. Yeah, I was kind of thinking that it might be one of the clip show episodes, but I wasn't sure. Even though he was technically "in" the episode, it was part of previous eps. So actually he's been "in" every episode, just not with new material.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I would have said he's been in every episode because somehow Clip Show 2 is the one episode that I have never seen...imagine that! I was on vacation and set my VCR wrong (forgot about daylight saving time) and they've obviously never re-aired that and I haven't found it elsewhere yet, so...

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Sam not seen an episode! Call your self a fan!

I remeber this coming up before, and you guys are correct. Im pretty sure.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I think we might need to do a bit of Forum monitoring of the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_in_the_Middle

Here is the page discussing the article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Malcolm_in_the_Middle#Grand_total:_150_or_151.3F

The article at some point was degrade from a 'good' article, maybe we can make it a 'good article again?

This was the weridest part: It has been suggested that the character of Dewey suffers from Asperger syndrome

It also says DVD relese is higly unlikely, which from some inside sources we know isnt really correct, its a possability, not definte but not 'hghly unlickly'

That i totally wrong, Malclm could surfer from mild asperger but thats a stretch, but dewy no way!

Kratos

tjpeople said:
I think we might need to do a bit of Forum monitoring of the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_in_the_Middle

Here is the page discussing the article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Malcolm_in_the_Middle#Grand_total:_150_or_151.3F

The article at some point was degrade from a 'good' article, maybe we can make it a 'good article again?

This was the weridest part: It has been suggested that the character of Dewey suffers from Asperger syndrome

It also says DVD relese is higly unlikely, which from some inside sources we know isnt really correct, its a possability, not definte but not 'hghly unlickly'

That i totally wrong, Malclm could surfer from mild asperger but thats a stretch, but dewy no way!

Agreed, there is no way Dewey could be diagnosed with aspergers syndrome :eek: , I think its pop psychology and viewers assuming Dewey’s gift at being able to play music without any known lessons is a link to some form of autism, despite the two being totally separate medical conditions! Him being in a “special” class won’t have helped things especially to the casual viewer. :rolleyes:

It can’t be classed as a “good” article because it’s missing references and sources for its points :confused: . But after reading it twice I don’t see how you can cite things…. I guess you could cite the official fox website.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Maybe you read it after I revised it; after I saw the link, I edited out a lot of the controversial stuff and reapplied the article for "good" status.

Malcoholic

Kratos said:
Agreed, there is no way Dewey could be diagnosed with aspergers syndrome :eek: , I think its pop psychology and viewers assuming Dewey’s gift at being able to play music without any known lessons is a link to some form of autism, despite the two being totally separate medical conditions! Him being in a “special” class won’t have helped things especially to the casual viewer. :rolleyes:

It's certainly not the intention of the writers to show Dewey as being autistic in the clinical sense. Sporadically, when his extreme sense of being deprived and neglected is triggered, he becomes so self-absorbed as to become emotionally cut off from others. There are two episodes where his behavior crosses the line into typical autistic isolation from others' feelings:

--Reese Joins the Army I: Dewey's sense of being neglected is triggered by the fact that no one in the family cares that he's going to compete in a music contest. In the scene where he watches Hal writhing on the ground while the cops electroshock him, all Dewey can think of is that Hal won't be able to go to the contest.

--Malcolm's Girlfriend: Dewey finally makes a friend, a boy named Ronnie who has wealthy and generous parents. When Ronnie's mother asks Dewey to help her plan a surprise birthday party for Ronnie, this triggers Dewey's obsession with his own deprivation--he recalls that all his birthdays have been miserable. So he tricks Ronnie's mother into throwing the cowboy-themed party that Dewey has always wanted for himself, even though he knows Ronnie hates cowboys. The exchange that resembles an autistic-type emotional cut-off is:
Ronnie: "You ruined my birthday! I hate you!"
Dewey: "I had two sundaes and four sno-cones!"
In that scene, Dewey is so totally focused on the entirely new experience of having a nice party, that he has no awareness of the fact that he has lost his only friend.

This self-absorption is not autism, since Dewey is by no means incapable of sympathizing with others (he often feels sorry for Hal); what it's intended to show is that Dewey has incurred emotional damage from being brought up in a home where he's been deprived of parental care and of even the most basic amenities--he doesn't even have his own bed.

hvg3akaek

Malcolm didn't appear in season four's "Clip Show II", except in the old clips they showed.

Ta!

I just wanted to bump this thread, as this question has been confusing me for some time. I could not remember Malcolm not being in an episode (thought it may have been from S7, which I have not completely finished yet), but this makes sense :)

And I only had to read through 10 pages of threads for it :thumbup1:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Ta!

I just wanted to bump this thread, as this question has been confusing me for some time. I could not remember Malcolm not being in an episode (thought it may have been from S7, which I have not completely finished yet), but this makes sense :)

And I only had to read through 10 pages of threads for it :thumbup1:

Dig up of threads as much as you like - rejuvenates old covos :)

Its a comman question cause IMDB list him as less episodes and people get confussed. It will be added to the FAQ at some point....

hvg3akaek

Sure will :)

Its a strange thing, that IMDB and places like Wikipedia, list these 'facts', but don't have a simple sentance like "The one episode Malcolm wasn't in was Clip Show II". Such a simple thing, that could save so much confusion!