Anything like Malcolm?

fr3akz

I was thinking about MITM....the last season is on air...
I wait the whole week for MITM but what am I gonna do after malcolm on 15 May?? :( I got the first season on DVD I have already watched it 20-30 times.
Is there any other TV sitcom like MITM?
I have become a MITM-Fr3ak.:D :D
You can't forget your best years (teen age)..and in those years there was also MITM with me.
:mad:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Re: anything like malcolm

Hi Fr3akz, in the future we ask that you refrain from using what we call "txt spk." There are a lot of members here who don't speak English as their primary language so using proper spelling and grammar makes your posts easier for them to understand. Also, please limit your use of excessive punctuation (?????????) and repeating smilies. Thank you. :)

I don't think there are any other shows out there like Malcolm. I've read articles where people say the show "Everybody Hates Chris" is similar to MITM, but I've never seen it so I can't really say. Malcolm is totally orginial because it was the first show to have a character actually speak to the audience and it's one of the few sitcoms that don't have a laugh track. Not only that, but also the family's dynamics are different than most sitcoms. They're kind of dysfunctional with a lot of flaws, but the writers make it clear how much they care for each other. Other shows may try to come close, but I don't think they'll ever be a show quite like MITM.

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Re: Anything like malcolm?

Yeah, Everybody Hates Chris is similar at MitM on some ways... but a lot less funier!
When I saw the pilot of this TV show, I already saw that resemblance. I wrote an article about that on my website (http://www.malcolm-france.com/news/051029.htm), unfortunately, it's in french, so I will sum-up : Chris is a teenager (13 years old) and live in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, in a middle-classed family. He has an irresponsible dad, a tyrannical mom, an unintelligent brother and a messy sister... so it's pretty much the same as MitM. And there's a lot of other details to prove that EHC is inspired of MitM, that's certain.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Actually, I think Everybody Hates Chris was inspired by Chris Rock's childhood, wasn't it?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned there's no other show out there as good as MITM. It's been so original and groundbreaking in so many ways. And it's so deep that you can catch something new or have some interesting thoughts about an episode the umpteenth time you see it. So keep watching those DVDs--even if you've already seen them like 20 times! :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis

Whilst on the subject, can we really call MITM a sitcom? I view a sitcom as a usually unfunny(there are some exceptions,i.e. Seinfeld, Sanford and Son) show that has a laugh track/live audience. Malcolm is just a....comedy show. That's what Ive defined it as. A DAMN good comedy show.:)

han_keep_smilin

There are a few a bit like it like Friends but its not really like malcolm in the middle though. i like it:D
there are other FOX show too i suppose

han_keep_smilin

yardgames said:
How is Friends remotely like MITM? There's not even a family in Friends.

i suppose but it is like a group of people that get in to mischief and its also funny.:D

Reesegurl

There is so many shows that seem to be sort of copying Mitm! I mean some are subtle when they try but others are really like it. That show 'Everone hates Chris' is very like it but like someone already said not half as funny!
The one thing I really like about mitm is that no matter what happens in it, it never gats over-emotional and soppy! Almost every other show has really 'touching' moments in almost every episode! Not that I don't like a bit of emotion in it but Its one of the only shows that has more humour than soppyness!
And even if it does get 'touching' it usually ends with somrthing funny!:D

But for the final episode I think I'd like to see a bit more emotion than usual because its like we actually know them now or something!

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I think that you're right that MITM never gets "soppy" but I think it gets emotional. My favorite example is the end of Krelboyne Picnic, where Malcolm realizes that his family accepts him even though he's freakishly smart. It's emotional and heartfelt, but funny at the same time. That's a quality that only MITM can show us.

MalcolmFun

Another one of several shows that tried to copy Malcolm in the MIddle is "Scrubs". The characters are different, and it is in a hospitial not about a family, but the style of the show is so clearly a rip off of Malcolm. The problem, though is that it is not even 1/10 as funny. It started a year and a half after Malcolm started and runs to this day. I have absoutly no idea how that show is popular.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I don't watch Scrubs, but I think that it would be stupid for any show to try and copy MITM (or other shows) because it would never be as good as the original show.

MalcolmFun

I don't watch Scrubs, but I think that it would be stupid for any show to try and copy MITM (or other shows) because it would never be as good as the original show.

I think it is a factual observation that Malcolm was unique when it came out and a half dozen or more shows have copied major aspects of its style since then. Some, like Scrubs, I think get higher ratings then Malcolm did. The poor fans don't even realize they are watching copied recycled crap.