Hal's Dentist: Opinions and Analysis - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hal's Dentist: Opinions and Analysis

Default Re: Hal's Dentist: Opinions and Analysis

Great, now all you guys got ME wondering wether or not it was a dream! I have to say it was real, though I have absolutely no idea how Dewey moved Malcolm, then the matress, and then Malcolm back onto the older matress. Weird.
    And Im still kinda raising my eyebrow about Malcolm/Dewey wakeup scene. It was just weird the way they were talking...just sounded too.....well, you know what I mean.....

A mattress just falling out of the sky.... that's REALLY cheezy

This was a pretty unambitious episode that just aimed for laughs by mining two reliable laugh-getters: Hal going nuts and Reese's ham-handed attempts at being helpful. The broken tooth is a pretext for triggering Hal's fail-proof routine of spasms, howls, convulsions and conniptions. I found this one especially funny--some day, the Emmies should give Bryan a lifetime achievement award for Best Reincarnation of Curly.

Reese's helpfulness is as always a mixed blessing at best--"No lady! I don't want your drugs!" he shouts at Lois so as not to embarrass her in front of a passer-by. His bike antics are throwbacks to the go-kart collision and firehose-powered bike of seasons past. I liked the very fancy camera work that vividly showed Lois' fear of falling was due to an exaggerated sense of how high she was off the ground--it showed that she felt as if she was a hundred feet off the ground. We don't talk much about camera work on these threads, I guess because it's show biz insider stuff, but very creative camera shots have always been one of the trademarks of Malcolm that give it its distinctive look and feel.

The mattress story was a rare venture into the surreal. I don't think we're supposed to know whether it really happened; it really doesn't matter, since the point of the story is the same either way: the boys' characters have been hardened by a lifetime of deprivation, and a sudden exposure to comfort has a corrupting effect. That tasteless morning-after pillow-talk joke seems to me due to the fact that the story isn't very funny, and so the writers groped for some sort of joke to add humor, even it wasn't a really good joke--a rare case of uninspired writing.

Good post.
    alleyboy
    Reese: You just gotta calm down, turn off your brain.
    Malcolm: You cant just turn off your brain. Reese: Sure you can, I do it all the time, just watch. Malcolm: You can't just turn off your...Reese?...Reese?

Reese: oh man, how long was I out?

You both raise some interesting points. I just assumed the storyline to be real because they've never shown us dreams before. Sure, they've shown us stories like in Watching the Baby and little clip-its of things that haven't happened, but having half an episode that's a dream seems a bit extreme to me. It seems that if that was their intent, they would have--could have--indeed, should have done something really neat with it to make it a memorable and unique episode like my favorite one of this season: Blackout.

I found the Hal plot comfortably funny, but a bit over-the-top and indeed it got old rather quickly. We've been there, done that with Hal. It indeed made for LOL comedy, but that's never been MITM's strength--sure, there's certainly plenty of times where you just can't stop laughing during the show, but MITM has always been more of a layered comedy, if that makes sense. I found it entertaining in the beginning, but they moved too quickly through the initial procedure in an effort to get to the point: the part about Hal not wanting to pay the bill. To be honest, I found the two punch lines of this storyline not at all funny: the water-drinking and the shouting at the cop. They seemed somehow stale to me.

Seeing Reese's teaching antics were quite entertaining, but again, I really felt like this storyline was missing something.

I think what this episode lacked was integration. At first, I was really impressed with the eppy--thinking, wow! they've gone back to like season one, where they have a gazillion storylines going on--indeed, one of the things that made the show so great early on. Yet it's also one of the things that doomed the show for a mass audience in its latter seasons. They simply ran out of storylines. So they have to resort to things like we saw in Hal's Dentist: a barrage of completely un-related ideas, all thrown helter-skelter together. The episode completely lacked unity, save for the one scene at the dinner table.

So much more should have been done with Malcolm's "dream" and Hal's dentist storyline needed to take a back seat because it's been done before.

But despite my seemingly negative review, I thoroughly enjoyed the episode and I still don't know what I'm going to do when we don't have any new MITM to look forward to anymore.

Yardgames I think you're letting the looming demise of MITM effect you from truely enjoying the rest of the season. I so hate that I found this board too late. You guyz here are real fans of MITM. You know the show you love the show and you appreciate the pure good comedy. For over six years of negative hate and world problems Malcolm In The Middle has gave us somewhere to escape to and laugh something fierce. I don't know you guys personally but you also have made me laugh with your posts. Thanks. MITM Lives!!!!!......in reruns.
    alleyboy
    Reese: You just gotta calm down, turn off your brain.
    Malcolm: You cant just turn off your brain. Reese: Sure you can, I do it all the time, just watch. Malcolm: You can't just turn off your...Reese?...Reese?

Reese: oh man, how long was I out?

And on FX starting in '07!!!

I wasn't able to catch the entire ep (was there a cold opener?)

But I liked that Hal finally gets something that he needs to be comfortable and happy(a crown for his tooth) and he gives it up just to prove a point. And the bed thing was just creepy...In the one scene where they both were just lying there enjoying the bed talking aout the sheets......enough said...
    The jerk formerly known as J.

The episodes with "dream" clips confused me, an example being Vegas. They haven't always used a "split" thingy like they do when changing between settings & subplots to divide the reality and the dream (if you know what I mean) so it made it quite confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo22
    The episodes with "dream" clips confused me, an example being Vegas. They haven't always used a "split" thingy like they do when changing between settings & subplots to divide the reality and the dream (if you know what I mean) so it made it quite confusing.
    That's an interesting point. I think the idea is to blur the distinction between fantasy and reality. In the case of Vegas, we weren't exactly sure what was going on. It adds to the suspense and the depth of the plot.

@yardgames-What in the world does "helter-skelter like" mean?(the only helter skelter Ive heard of is the Beatles song.)
    And about the mattress-maybe a cargo plane was delievering them to a warehouse and they accidently opened the cargo door and one the mattress fell out and..and....never mind.