The 'UK' not England

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Now its not just J.(he just did it most recently) because everybody does it! they regard England as the name of the whole UK (or britain) its the england idea thats really anoying me with. its sorta like refering to a US state wen you mean the whole of the US.

The reason is that England is the name that is thrown around the most, football team etc. However u do have the olympics where is the UK.

Now im not expecting people to know about wales in particular its just use the term 'UK' i mean we all have the same primister and are bascially all run together.

(end of rant :D:D)

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: the 'UK' not England

now I can see why you get upset by that :D

Really now lets call it by its proper name...

the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :D

It is difficult for other countries to understand - a country that does not have its own soverign government - many would class that as a state - infact many of the United States have more legislation power than Wales does -- infact Wales has very few powers of its own... (we learnt this today in Politics so let me show off :D)

Wales has Adminstrative Powers in its Welsh Assembly, thats basically not a great deal compared with Scotland which has tax varying and primary legislative powers.

Although at least Wales has some power for itself. NI have their devolved body suspended currently.

If you want to get technical about this david The United Kingdom (UK) is the nation state consisting of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, out of which Scotland and Northern Ireland Have Thier own parliment and different variations in legal systems. The Largest single Part of the uk is

Great Britain which, is an island lying off the northwestern coast of Europe, comprising the main territory of the United Kingdom (UK). Great Britain is also used as a political term describing the combination of England, Scotland, and Wales, the three countries, which together comprise the entire island.

Great Britain is also widely, but incorrectly, used as a synonym for the political nation properly known as the United Kingdom. This usage, found most often in American English, is technically inaccurate as the United Kingdom includes the province of Northern Ireland in addition to the three countries of Great Britain. This use of Great Britain is thought by some to derive from usage as an abbreviation of the formal full UK title of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

In addition, the British themselves occasionally use the abbreviation GB, such as in the Olympic Games where the British team is sometimes informally referred to as 'Team GB'. The UK also uses the international foreign vehicle identification code of GB. This is discussed further under Britain.

so in closing it is we who have brought it upon ourselves as uesual and not everybody elses fault

RGDS
Zmaster999

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

true - but i still dont live in england! :D

like wen im on holiday in a foriegn country, someone asks 'where are you from?' is say the UK and then they say 'oh england, i like your music i have (insert artists) album'

Gouki

tjpeople said:
Now im not expecting people to know about wales in particular
Why not? I think people should. I know some people who live in Wales actually.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

I'm sorry, you guys. I've been educated now. I'm a history person, Sometimes I think in todays terms, sometime in yesteryears terms, we were learning about England in Social Studies yesterday, the term stuck with me. I hope I didn't offend anyone too much.

arach

One advice our English-teacher told us in school got stuck in my brain:

"Never call a Scotsman English." (or so)

So I always pay attention not to do that with Welsh people either. It's the same here: Never mistake an Austrian guy for being German. Actually you can get your head cut off by saying that. ;) :D

admin

Retired Administrator

If you don't no what to call us, then call us British, that is fine for people living in England Scotland and Wales. (of course if they are nationalist they will hate that)

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

Gouki said:
Why not? I think people should. I know some people who live in Wales actually.
well i would be nice if people knew where wales was (or had even heard of it) but that is often not the case. I dont have a clue where most american states are :D

admin

Retired Administrator

I'm 1/16 Welsh :D I've been to Wales many times now its quite a very nice place when the weather is good

arach

I'm 1/4 German. :( It's my grandma. I don't like her. She is like Ida, except that she is nice to you and talks bad about you behind your back. :rolleyes: