Stop Googling?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ive been meaning to bring this up to everyone here. I recently read in a "US Weekly" story that Google, Yahoo, and some other techincal companies sold equipment and actually helped the Chinese Communist government build the infamous "red wall". For those of you who don't know what it is, it is a huge firewall the Chinese government uses to limit the internet access Chinese citizens have and it also blocks out any webpages that have to do with democracy or the Tiananmen square massacre that took place years ago. This firewall severly limits the Chinese peoples freedom of speech. After reading about it, I got pretty angry that American companies would do that. So should we stop using Google and Yahoo because they help supress the freedom of speech of Chinese citizens?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I say we should have taken care of the Reds the way we took care of the Soviets... boycott and Cold War... It's been proven that democracy will win, but I'm sorry if I offended anyone in my 1950's America point of view. once a commie, always a commie... the only way to stop it is to go and get rid of them all... again, please excuse my 1950's American way of thinking.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's correct. In order for Google to create the Chinese version of their software, the Chinese government demanded that the company obey their censorship rules, which Google agreed to. It's rather ironic because in the past Google has always wanted to "organize the world's information" and didn't believe that laws and government ideas should be able to stop that. (Case in point: Google Book Search--publishers must opt out, not opt in.)

Should you stop using Google? Well, that's up to you, but it's still a very precise search engine, and any company that wants to business in China has to agree to the censorship rules, so I'm not sure how far that would get you.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I just don't think it's appropriate that American companies should help censor the freedom of speech of other people. Believe me when I say I believe that communism in China will end very soon. Ive heard that there are at least 81,000 riots for democracy in China every year.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
If the Allies didn't let China become communist in the first place, we wouildn't have this problem, but since we can't change the past, America and her allies can only hope that China, as a communist state will die of a citizen revolt, much as the way Commie China started...

Don't boycott/stop using google, because they want to be capitalistic, they want to make money, and since it's a democracy, they can. Blame and boycott China! For 50+ years America has boycotted Soviet products, and for all those years, people were taught that Communism and Communistic ways of thinking were WRONG, and now it's okay to trade with communists, to talk with commies, to go to a Sunady dinner with commies... We are supporting the very same thing we want to wither and die a flaming, horrible death! If we keep buying simple little dodads and trinkets from China, they never will, and in the near future, cause the western (US, UK, Europe) societies to either join them or fall! it's like a monster, consumming all it can and it won't stop until it's gotten rid of everything that I, and the rest of the West stands for, and if it means that me and a few of my buddies steal some M-16's and frag grenades and hitch a plane to China, I will.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
OK, Justin, you need to calm down. We realized that persecuting the Communists was a poor choice, so we've come to accept them. That doesn't mean we endorse them. It just means we don't prosecute them. Why does everything have to be an act of violence with you?

Malcoholic

Marvelous question with no easy answer. One thing to keep in mind is that China could probably not survive as a single nation under a true democratic system. China isn't really a nation in the way that the US or France are. It's really a multinational empire where hundreds of millions of people who are in no way Chinese are held under the authority of the Chinese regime entirely against their will. Under a democracy, where the people rather than the state hold ultimate sovereignty, many of these ethnic groups would probably break away. The Chinese rulers are very much aware that as soon as the old Soviet regime started to loosen its tyrannical grip under Gorbachev, the old tsarist/Soviet empire broke up into its ethnic components. They don't want to repeat what to them looks like a fatal mistake. For its part, the rest of the world has a stake in keeping China stable, and so, distasteful as this is to people who belive in democracy, it's in the world's perceived interest for the Chinese government to keep its grip over the entire nation.

A much brighter picture is emerging in India. Despite being an even bigger ethnic jumble than China, that nation has managed to stay united under a democratic regime, and is currently experiencing an extraordinary economic breakthrough after gradually introducing free-market capitalist competion into its economy.

mitm_gal

I heard that he other day, people are meant to have freedom, and for google, to do that, well, how low can you go. How would they feel if a the American's limited their freedom, like they have to stay on a certain side of town, and are not allowed TV. They would miss MITM, so there fore shouldn't limit others. Can we get a petition going about it. We all go and get lots of people to sign it then we could send it to one of the moderators for them then to send it off to somewhere.

Any way yes it is evil!

I still think we should use google, as it is very useful for homework!

And war isn't how to resolve issues!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
No offense, but war worked in Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, in the American Revoloution, the French Revoloution...(oohh... It feels so good to get into a political agrument again...)

Communist states (Cuba, China, am I forgetting any of the rotten sobs?) have always opposed Western ways, Cuba has boycotted all American goods and people, so we did the same, but people still come floating across the Gulf on a door to seek a better way of life. Western countries should be encouraging ethnic gaps in China, the sooner a revoloution, the soner a democratic way of living can be installed, give a few factions a few hundred M-16s, a few B-1 strikes, with full loads of 2,00lbs bomb loads, and a new country can be born, America seemed to blend all the ethnicities well, we aren't Communist... we've been fine for the past 200 years, and I see and hope it will last a lot longer. If keeping China 'stable' means keeping a new ancien regime in place, then I'd rather have an unstable country, and just find the most powerful groups, asist them, and you let them all kill each other until the winning, and non-communist side wins.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I kind of agree with J on the point we should have stopped communism before it started but I don't agree about going and shooting "commies", which all Chinese citizens are since they are FORCED to be so. Believe me, Chinese citizens want freedom and democracy as much as anyone else, they just can't learn about freedom with thier damn communist puppeteers controlling them. I believe that if every Chinese citizen got together and demanded a democratic China, it'd happen just like that. As V said in the new movie "V for Vendetta": "People shouldn't be afraid of their governments..governments should be afraid of thier people." Amen to that.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Better yet, dump leaflets from B-52 bombers on a "emergency return flight" back to America, crossing China, and dumping the leaflets over China's most populated areas, then deny it ever happened.

If the Chinese people want democracy, they will take it by force and blood alone. America did it, France did it, and England did it. Russia did it (to get communism) and so did China(also to get communsim) Until the people go and get their own weapons and start killing the Red Regime, they are just as wrong as the people who rule them.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Maybe they don't want to take it by force. Remember the late great MLK, who said that violence should be a distant, distant, last resort. MLK(that's Martin Luther King, to those who don't know) managed to win freedom for African Americans without any violence at all. I hope the same happens in China.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
If they don't take it by force, they'll just keep getting run over by tanks. Shame on them if they don't take it by force, waving a white flag and saying "I want to be free" in China will only get you thrown in Jail, and nothing more comes of it. Taking an AK-47 and then start hosing down a military parade turns you into a marytar, and others will start doing the same thing...

Communism cannot be getten rid of just by peaceful way of action and thinking. America ran the USSR's economy into the ground in the Cold War, America got a $1.4 million sattelite, the Soviets got a $1.7 million sattelite, then America got a $2 million sattelite, and he process continued with other things, a navy was one of the biggies, and so were tanks, planes, and missles. We destroyed their ecnomy, and therby destroyed the country. You can do the same tihng with China, but China's leaders may not be smart enough to realize what the Russians did. M.A.D. Mutually Assured Destruction. China launches at the US, The US launches at China, and it goes until the planet is engulfed into a Nuclear Winter, and no one wins cause everyone dies.

Theritikly, The Western Societies could engulf China into another Cold War, but we'd have to stop buying things from them, and then discover something (a fusion reactor, perhaps) and china will want one to, start developing their own, at great costs, and at the same time, launch a mission to Mars, and then try to set up a moon base at the same time. Only Capitalist countries have the money to do this. :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ok, can I ask you something, and answer honestly.
Let's say you were born in Communist China, raised all your life as a communist but when you get older you yearn for freedom and democracy. You protest, get arrested, released, and nothing happens. You see the only way is violence instead of peaceful protests. Would YOU, J, be willing to pick up an AK-47 and as you put it, "fire into a military parade" and risk getting your ass blown apart?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I wouldn't have done it alone, but yes, I would have taken an AK-47 and put fire into a military parade.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
So your saying you'd be too scared to do it yourself? Than you see what I mean when I say the individual Chinese person is scared to do something. When you yourself are scared to do something, J, don't expect others to do it. That would be hypocritical.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I quote myself:

I wouldn't have done it alone, but yes, I would have taken an AK-47 and put fire into a military parade.

I said I wouldn't do it alone. As in I would go do it with a few friends of mine, therby instead of looking like a crazed psychotic idiot, it looks more like an organized resistence movement and more damage is done.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I see. BUT why wouldn't you do it alone? Is it that you don't want to look like a psychotic madman OR are you scared to attack alone?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
yardgames said:
OK, OK you two. Enough arguing...

Honestly, do you need me to be your mother?

Guess your right. I never really wanted to start a debate, I just asked people if we should stop using google.
You couldn't be a mother since your not nice enough. BUT you could be an abusive uncle or something:D . ha ha, I kid.