Diet Plans

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Hey guys, I have decided that when I graduate from high school in a year and a half Im going to join the Marines! The only thing is that I went to their website and Im just a bit over their weight limit for my height. So does anyone here know a good diet plan(maybe someone who has been on one before and can inform me). Thanks people and I look forward to a little help!:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Re: Help Me!

Diets suck! There's no need to go on a diet unless you plan on eating that way for the rest of your life. Otherwise, the weight will come right back as soon as you go off of it. The key is to run, run...oh and run. :D Not necessarily running, any kind of cardio-vascular exercise will do. Not only will CV excerise help you lose wieght, but it will help get you ready for boot camp. :D Working out with weights is good too for toning up, but you probably won't lose much weight that way. If fact, working with weights might make you gain a little weight because you'll be building muscle (which weighs more than fat), but you'll look more lean and toned. It's best to excersise in the morning, if you can, cause it keeps your metabolism up all day.

I run 5 miles 3-4 times per week and I eat pretty much whatever I want and don't gain weight. That's within moderation of course. I rarely eat fast food and I don't eat chips and candy and stuff like that on a regular basis. I lost 30 lbs last year doing this. Don't skip meals either. That will make your body think it's starving and it will try to hold onto the fat, making it really hard to lose.

Oh, don't try to go out and run 5 miles this afternoon. You have to build up to it. It took me several months to get up to five miles. ;)

admin

Retired Administrator
Excercise is the best option, although personally I don't recommend running, i've always found it boring, slow and bad for your knees :D

I prefer to cycle, you can go much faster and its not bad on your knees at all.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
@Davey Boy "cycle" is another one of those words that we rarely use in the US because meanings like unicycling have become attached to it instead. In other words, it makes a person sound like they're in the circus. :D Just pointing out our cultural differences. :D We usually go biking or ride a bike. @Tony I've found variety, moderation, and exercise to be the key. As Christina mentioned, it's important to choose something that you can truly stick with permanently and build up to your ultimate goal. If you're very overweight, remember that it's unrealistic to expect to lose more than a pound or two a week in a safe manner.

han_keep_smilin

Re: Help Me!

Wildcat said:
I run 5 miles 3-4 times per week ;)

i would die if i did that!! i ran 1 mile at christmas and i thought i was going to die!!:D

the best thing to do it lots of exercise and eat healthily but apparantly you get huge meals in america so there it would be hard for me:D

rzombie1988

I reccomend that you should eat small meals 3 times a day for however long you want. If you eat just enough to get you by til the next meal for about a week, you should be able to lose a few pounds easy. I've done it before and lost 5lbs in a week. I also reccomend just drinking water only.

Another suggestion is to go inside a steam room and stay in there for a while. Alot of professional fighters and amateur wrestlers do it, and then can lose 25lbs in around 2 days. It is just water weight that you would be losing though. They also exercise inside the steam room.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Find a drum corp, join it, and be amazed as you can lose up to 70 pounds in a season. I know you won't want to lose that much, but I lost about 10-15 pounds this year. (a sax friend of mine lost 70 this year) South Carolina a good corp in the area: Carolina Crown(http://carolinacrown.org/about.htm) is in Ft. Mill (if you're near there, but you stay in a dorm at practices) But you'd have to be good in order to go there, it's A Division I, so it's top class, Or even Carolina Gold, located in Rocky Mount, SC (http://www.carolinagold.org/) They aren't international, just Drum Corp America, but it a corp, and a pretty good one at that.

If Corps aren't your style, ask your schools band director if he has an open slot anywhere in the marching area, because being in the pit (sideline percussion) won't get you out onto the field marching. Personally, to me, you look like a Snare Drummer.

You age out of Corps at 21, so you'd have plenty of time to get fit, and also get used to the strict military attitude in a band, or corp.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
These are some great ideas! Thanks everyone who replied, I appreciate it alot!:D @wildcat-3 to 5 miles?! How?:eek:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
tony_montana said:
@wildcat-3 to 5 miles?! How?:eek:

It was really hard at first, but I stuck with it and eventually it just became a normal routine. It gets a lot easier too the more you do it. Like I said, just start out slow with maybe a mile at first, then gradually build up to where you want to be. You won't even be able to tell much difference as you start adding more to it if you just do it a little at a time. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
As a note: A drum corp or marching band (and without going into the complex workings of drum corps that they aren't a school band, so they are independant from anything other then themselves, they are different in name only) during a practice run through of their show, or at a competition, have the heartrate, O2, and metabolic rates on equal of a professional marathon runner in a extremely physically fit condition about halfway hrough a marathon. In simpler terms: We work just as, in not harder then marathon runners in their prime in the middle of a marathon. It's been scientifically proven by scientists at a college (I forget which one) and verified by an independant source. A marathon is 26 miles, correct? Half of which is 13 miles, You join a corp/band, you will feel like you run a marathon everyday almost, and it will feel so good, ad mbe worth it many times over, and you gain frinds for a lifetime.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
J. said:
As a note: A drum corp or marching band (and without going into the complex workings of drum corps that they aren't a school band, so they are independant from anything other then themselves, they are different in name only) during a practice run through of their show, or at a competition, have the heartrate, O2, and metabolic rates on equal of a professional marathon runner in a extremely physically fit condition about halfway hrough a marathon. In simpler terms: We work just as, in not harder then marathon runners in their prime in the middle of a marathon. It's been scientifically proven by scientists at a college (I forget which one) and verified by an independant source. A marathon is 26 miles, correct? Half of which is 13 miles, You join a corp/band, you will feel like you run a marathon everyday almost, and it will feel so good, ad mbe worth it many times over, and you gain frinds for a lifetime.

That sounds good but I have a slight problem...Im kind of like Malcolm, as I have absolutely no musical talent and can't play any instrument at all.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Base drums require little talent, just repeated banging on a large drum (You know what I mean all you sick little perverts!) You keep the beat so everyone else can play. And to practice, all you need is two drum sticks and a hard, flat surface. :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I try to exerise as much as poss, i dont really diet, just try to eat less carbs, thats probs why you have unwanted weight. I like the gym cuase there is tv/music and i dont get bored. im easily bored with exerise.

D

Deleted member 1693

TJ, that is exactly what I have trouble with. I have to be occupied while I'm running around or doing whatever it is I do to excersize.