The multiplying of the geen dot....

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Now, something strange has happened recently and i dont really know why. The little green dot next to a user reputaion numbers had double for some people and i think sometimes people have 1 then they have 2 then 1 again (that may just be me)

Is there a reason for two green dots? i knowq the dots show at a glance wehter people have a bad/good reputation so i dont understand why there would be two.

i could hawever just be my pc goin wrong somehow. :S

I know we aint very familiar with vbulliton and this is odd.

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: The multiplying of the green dot....

The green dots will continue to grow as people get more reputation, they can go the other way as well. Everyone starts with a slightly positive reputation, and it will continue to grow, the greens will double, and then again and again...

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

yea- i can see that but people have two dots and a lower number of reputation than me - im guessing its 20 rep to have 2 green dots.

admin

Retired Administrator

tjpeople said:
yea- i can see that but people have two dots and a lower number of reputation than me - im guessing its 20 rep to have 2 green dots.
I am gonna confuse you more here, but the green dots are not directly related to your repuation power...

The reputation power, the number in your case 16 or something, is what you can give to other people.

The get 2 green dots you must have a reputation of 100, that is 100 points the people have given you which you can see in your User CP.

Reputation power increases with both reputation and number of posts, and length of membership, but the green dots are based on what people think of your posts.

Hope this helps ::D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

alll that in a green dot and number....i think i c

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I thought in stead of a new thread i'd use this one, again im confused, may have been explained but i cant remeber. The green dots. I understand that the reputaion power number <---to the left is how may points you can give to other people (correct me if im wrong) so if i give sum1 posative rep then they get 42 points added to the number in the control panel (normally bigger mines about 600) . Now if i wanted to increase the rep power i had i would have to post more and have more rep from other people right?

fine good that clear.

Now the green dots, from what i understand the number of dots is in relation to the amount of reputation you have, (that other people have given you) and the greater the number the more dots right? so what with the light and dark green dots?

i hope that wasnt too confusing

(oooooooo....look 200 post :D had this once before then there was a pruning...)

admin

Retired Administrator
Posting will increase your rep slightly, but getting rep from people who have high rep powers is the best way forward. If a new member gives someone rep point they will probably give them 0 or 1 points as they simply don't have any reputation.

Those with a big reputation can increase/decrease the reputation of others dramatically. Those with small reputations cannot do much at all.

The light green dot signifies an increase so great in rep that a new colour has to be used! If you were so bad that you went into red the same thing would happen only with red dots!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
So, me, Sam, david, ect. with one light green dot beneath the rest of them is the highest, right?

admin

Retired Administrator
no thats just the dots going into a second line! logically they will continue, but there is some maths involved wherby the next green dot is harder to get, the first may require 10 reputation points, the second 100, but the next one may mean we need 1,000,000 or something like that!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Oh, so it's safe to say that no one will ever get it, because, you have to be the Pope, Ronald Reagan, Winston Churchill, George Washington, Ghandi, and then have them all put togeather... That's the only way you'll get that far. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Emrysgirl said:
Wait, is that right?...I'm lost:confused:.
It's a little confusing.

You rep number is 230. If you were to give rep to someone, then they would get 230 rep points added to their total, which can be found in the User Control Panel. Those little green dots represent how much other people gave you. You were given 3146 total rep points.

Does this make it a bit clearer now?

arach

J. said:
Oh, so it's safe to say that no one will ever get it, because, you have to be the Pope, Ronald Reagan, Winston Churchill, George Washington, Ghandi, and then have them all put togeather... That's the only way you'll get that far. :)
No I don't think that's a problem, because the reputation raises exponentially.
We get more and more rep power because we get over 100 points at one time when a regular user gives us a reputation. When we started, users could only give you 1 point at a time.
Won't take long and we'll have the first one to get over 1.000 rep power!