Valentine's Day

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Do you guys in the UK and other countries celebrate Valentine’s Day?

Warning...rant follows...:D

In my personal opinion, I think that Valentine’s Day is the stupidest, most idiotic holiday that someone ever thought up. It’s nothing more than an evil plot by the card and candy companies to force people go out and spend money, or suffer the consequences of being shunned by their significan others. I don’t see why we need a special day just to tell people that we love them anyway. :rolleyes:

It’s not just that though, I have a personal vendetta against Valentine’s Day. It all started back in third grade when I came down with Mono on Valentine’s Day. I distinctly remember it was this day because my class was having a party and I was upset because I had to go to the nurse’s office and miss it. I was so sick that my mom took to the emergency room that afternoon and I ended up staying in the hospital for something like 2 days. I remember her bringing me those stupid paper valentines from my classmates while I was there. I was sick on and off for nearly a month after that and almost had to repeat 3rd grade, but luckily I got special circumstances because I had good grades and made up all of my work. Every year after that, without fail, I would get sick on or near Valentines Day. This went on for something like 5 years. Not with mono, but some kind of illness. Maybe it was psychological, I don’t know. :cool:

It doesn’t end there. A guy broke up with me on Valentine’s Day after we’d been dating for a year and a half when I was a junior in high school. On Valentine’s Day!!! How lame is that? :rolleyes: I mean, he couldn’t have at least waited until the next day to do it? He probably just wanted to get out of buying me a crappy $2.00 gift. So everyone was walking around with their stupid balloons and stuffed animals talking about how much in love they were while I was bawling my eyes out all day. :(

So that’s my rant about Valentines Day. I normally don’t complain about things too much, but I think that I have valid reasons for hating it. I was tempted to call this the Valentine’s Day hate thread, but I remembered that some of you may actually like it. :D

So what are your thoughts? Like it, hate it, or what?

samboo1

Yeah we celebrate it over here. And BTW nice rant ;):D Sorry to hear aobut that guy dumping you on V day! That's just not right!:eek:

And yeah i dont like it either. Every year watching everyone give out presents and stuff and im always alone:mad: ;) Sometimes im kinda glad about that coz i wouldnt have a clue what to give as a V day present! It is funny watching my friends get presents though. Last year one of my friends got this huge V day card, really big and she was carrying it round all day, that was funny, and i dont think she even got him anything...i cant remember...maybe a choccy bar i think. But yeah anyway...
:cool:

han_keep_smilin

it really bugs me !!! i really dont see the point of it! my teacher said you could love a team or a singer of something on valentines day instead! but i have never heard that one before:D

oh and by the way sam i got him a cheap watch!!!! :D

allison

I don´t like Valentine´s day, either. Just like you I wonder why people need a special day to show someone that they like him/her. And I agree, it´s really lame of your ex-boyfriend to break up on Valentine´s day!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I have a question. If Valentine's Day is so unnecessary, why is it so "lame" to break up with someone on that day?

allison

Actually you´re right. It´s hard to explain. Maybe it´s because it´s SUPPOSED to be a "day of love" and to break up with somebody on this day is just weird. Plus you don´t know if Valentine´s day means something to the other person, so maybe it will hurt the other one even more if you break up with him or her on a day which is a day of love for lots of people. I don´t know if this makes sense...:eek: :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I completely understand what you're trying to say Allision. :D Even though Valentines Day is stupid and not necessary, we still have it. Therefore, people are going to celebrate it regardless of whether you like it or not. It's supposed to be a day of love (even though it's stupid) so to break up with someone on Valentine's Day is adding insult to injury. As if it's not bad enough that you've just had you're heart broken, you have to see people all happy and lovey-dovey with each other ( :rolleyes: )--more so than usual--because it's Valentine's Day, which makes the heartache that you're feeling hurt even worse. Make sense? I guess you would have to experience it to understand. I'm very bitter. Can you tell? :D

reese35

Oy, girlfriends! This kid has no luck with finding one, I'll say that. The girls I spot are either taken or not intrested! Ah, well....:(

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
yardgames said:
So you're telling me to go get a girlfriend, and then break up on Valentine's Day/

Now why would you want to do that? Besides, it would be the same cause you'd be the one doing the breaker rather than the breakee. :D

Actually, I meant that if you've never experienced serious heartbreak you probably wouldn't understand. Maybe you have, I wouldn't know. I don't mean the kind from a two-week fling that you're over in five minutes. I mean the kind that's literally gut-wrenching. The kind that makes you wonder how you're going to survive without the person during every waking minute of the day (okay, I'm just being overly dramatic now. :D )After all, it made Reese run off and join the Army. Talk about rash decisions. :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
yardgames said:
So you're telling me to go get a girlfriend, and then break up on Valentine's Day/
Reese35 said:
Oy, girlfriends! This kid has no luck with finding one, I'll say that. The girls I spot are either taken or not intrested! Ah, well...:(

Should have played trumpet, then either of you wouldn't have that problem...........

Trumpet players aren't afraid to speak their minds(and that has gotten be in trouble more then once :D) Trumpet players get the Clarinet girls all the time(hehehe)
That's all I'm going to say...

xDarkDovex

I think Valentine's day is a waste of money. All it is is some stupid day people that love eachother get together and go "Wow, we love eachother. Let's shove it in everyone's face." While you have no Valentine's from anyone except some of your friends, they can go rub it in that they have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Who needs a holiday like that? Then, people COUNT their Valentine's to make you feel worse, and that's after elementry school, so no one HAS to give you a Valentine.

-Tessa.

P.S. Wildcat, so sorry about your horrible experiences.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
o, on valentine's day, i got my best friend's girlfriend a present. Actually only to make my buddy feel jealous, and so i totally exaggerated: I gave her a card with a selfmade love poem, i made her kisslips on it, i glued hearts, roses and other things on it and so on
The plan worked out pretty well, SHE was confused and He was mad at me (especially because he didn't have anything himself for her :D)