Video games are dead, TV is sad, and the entire industry is rotting!

Ryebeach

I know zilch about the video game industry so I cannot comment on that but I do follow the TV and film industry carefully so I'll offer my two cents on this subject.

I agree television as of late seems to be the same old, same old. The same set-ups, the same types of characters and the same plotlines. But I can pretty much guarantee that the writers, producers, directors, and actors don't go into a show feeling this way. In their minds, I'm sure that they think that what they are doing (or at least I hope that they think what they are doing) is creative and funny or dramatic, depending on the genre. I can't even imagine the time and effort put into each TV show and each set of people responsible for creating a show (reality TV included) feel it's worth the time, effort and money they put into it and they recieve my complete respect for that. Now, it's true a lot of these shows will fail and that's too bad but it's the way it goes. They don't all fail though because they aren't well thought out and put together. Rating's are the name of the game.

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
And yet so many people watch this crap. How do these shows manage good ratings??
Reality shows can be addicting. The Apprentice is a show I didn't plan on watching but I saw the very first episode and ended up watching every episode since. I just couldn't not watch it. I think the same applies to many other reality shows.

Jimmy Junior

Re: Is TV nowadays sad or what?

yardgames said:
But an average kid plays video games from the ages of, say, 8 to maybe 20, take or give a few in either direction. That's twelve years that a single generation is playing the video games.
Just to add my 2p's worth - Video games really took off when I was about 10 years old - the teenagers of the time are still playing them now (the people I know who play video games the most are now in their 30's). I think rather than being an 'age' thing, it's more of a 'what you were brought up with' thing.

On the subject of television, while reality TV may have started in the UK, America has been more than happy to embrace it (Big Brother started elsewhere); if the majority really hated it that much they'd follow my lead and not watch it.
In my opinion the most revolutionary television programmes ever have stemmed from BBC programmes - although I hate paying the TV licence, I think the adverts have a point in saying this is true "due to the unique way the BBC is funded" - without the pressure of having to find sponsership they are free to experiment with new ideas.

D

Deleted member 1693

I wholeheartedly agree.

I blame the script readers/judgers.

Well, maybe I shouldn't, but it's too late now.