Season 7....best season?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Every opinion has its share of excellent, excellent episodes. Unfortunately, I think they all have a dud or two as well. My favorite season was 4 because the characters were developed, but not too old and molded already. When I think about my favorite seasons, my list for S4 always seems to be largest.

Ryebeach

I'd say season 7 was my second favorite season, after season 6 and even then, it' a close call.

Season 6 brought us some classic episodes, especially during the beginning of the season with "Pearl Harbor," "Hal Sleepwalks," Hal's Gift," "Reese Comes Home."

But as was mentioned, season 7 is when it really all came together for me. The character's had grown so much since season 1, each in their own way and while I was sad to see the series end and am still sad that there will never be another new episode, I think it was the right decision for the show to end when it did and how it did. :)

Ryebeach

reese35 said:
Ah, well, at least Leachman got an Emmy (Best Guest Star on a Comedy). ;D
That was so nice to see her win and for Jane to be nominated. I know it would be great for her to have won, especially with it being the final season and all, but with the number of actresses out there, for her to be nominated is an amazing achievement and honor. :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
What gets me mad about the whole thing is that this year was Jane's final chance to get a Emmy for playing Lois, and she looses it, and now we know she'll never get one for playing Lois. That's the fact that always comes back to me. :mad:

reese35

Well, there'll be other projects for an overworked and underappreciated actress (how the Academy sees it, i'm sure) to get. Jane Kaczmarek will always be an Emmy winner in our hearts.

reese35

Getting back on track, let's talk favorite plotlines. Mine was the Lois/Reese plotline in "Lois Strikes Back", because it tells up that Lois does have a revengeful side, not to mention sweet side. :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I actually had a few favorite plotlines for each family member. Ill name em here!

Hal- His plot in "Hal's Dentist" was classic. Some of Bryan's best acting. :)

Lois- I agree with Mike. Her plot in "Lois Strikes Back" was Emmy worthy material.

Francis- His "A.A" plot was great, IMO. It just showed us that, after seven seasons, Francis hasn't grown up too much....which is why we like him. :)

Reese- I really liked his plot in "Morp". It showed us that Reese isn't a complete moron. He's got a better side. :)

Malcolm- His "Morp" plot was also fantastic. It showed us that Malcolm is the same old Malcolm since episode one.

Dewey- I personally liked his plot in "Malcolm Defends Reese". It was cool to see Dewey try to get a girl....and FUNNY to see Hal screw it all up. ;D

reese35

tony_montana said:
Francis- His "A.A" plot was great, IMO. It just showed us that, after seven seasons, Francis hasn't grown up too much....which is why we like him. :)

Typical Francis... always b*(%&ing at his mom and everyone else but himself. lmao And that's why we like him. ;D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
How about the entire Blackout plot? That was one of the best episodes of the entire series becuase the first time you watch that ep there are so many twists and turns that it is impossible to guess the ultimate outcome.

I really enjoyed Dewey's plot in Morp too. It allowed us to see cunning Dewey and cute Dewey at the same time and it really was the last time he got the limelight.

reese35

yardgames said:
How about the entire Blackout plot? That was one of the best episodes of the entire series becuase the first time you watch that ep there are so many twists and turns that it is impossible to guess the ultimate outcome.

I really enjoyed Dewey's plot in Morp too. It allowed us to see cunning Dewey and cute Dewey at the same time and it really was the last time he got the limelight.

True on Blackout - also, I think it was the only Malcolm eppy that showed what happened in 3 different places from the same time. (A short blackout + 3 different areas + 6-7 minutes per block = sheer genius.

And "Morp" showed that everyone was the same after 7 seasons - the cute/manipulative Dewey, the insecure Malcolm, and the sex-laden Hal (remember the first season eppies? ;) ).

Ryebeach

tony_montana said:
I

Lois- I agree with Mike. Her plot in "Lois Strikes Back" was Emmy worthy material.

I totally agree. The whole episode was amazing. Writing, acting, directing, everything. But the scene between Lois and Reese near the end when they are talking on the bed...Wow, it was brilliant. Such a shame Jane didn't win an Emmy for that. Certainly one of the best episodes of season 7, IMO.

At the same time, it looks as though I'm one of the few who did not care for "Morp." I guess the main problem I had with that episode, and perhaps I'm being too harsh, but the group of "outcasts" that Malcolm hooks up with in this episode should have been some of krelboyne's, not kids we've never seen before. I just felt disconnected from his storyline, because of that. On the positive side, I'm glad Reese did what he did at the end of the episode. He stayed true to his character with that final scene, which sort of redeemed the episode, in my eyes.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yes, I did enjoy Morp. I agree it showcased how the characters were the same, but it also showed that they were dynamic and changed because it's like after all of the challenges they went through and everything that happened to them over the past 7 years and all of the opinions they might have acquired, ultimately their principles, characters, and basic premises do remain pretty constant. It shows that the MITM writers during all seven seasons had a real good grasp on character development. I would have liked to see the Krelboynes during this ep, but I think that from a casting perspective it just was no longer possible. I've learned to pretend, ignore that, and enjoy the rest of the ep.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I agree and disagree with Rye. I do agree on the point that, instead of "outcasts" Malcolm has never seen before, he should have done the morp with the krelboynes. I disagree on the fact of Reese doing what he did at the end of the episode. To be honest, I was hoping it would lead to Reese maybe getting married(again ;D ) before the final episode(which, by the way, I still hate how they ended the show with Reese being a janitor).

rzombie1988

You guys know me, season 1 will always be the best. For me, there were too many wasteful episodes, like Brides of Ida, and The Matress episode. Otherwise, it was really good, and produced some classics like Bomb Shelter, Burning Man, The Last Episode, and Morp.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I agree that Bride of Ida was a disappointment and in practice the matress ep wasn't great, but think about the theory: OMG A matress is falling from the sky!! LOL.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Hey Rzombie, good to have ya back! :)
But I already respectfully disagree( ;D). The matress episode(Hal's Dentist) was one of the funniest, if all because of Hal's EXTREMELY funny plot(Ive said it once and Ill say it again...that was some of Bryan's best acting). And the matress plot itself wasn't a waste...weird, yes, and it kinda didn't make sense, but still not a waste.
I partially agree about Brides of Ida. I think they could have done more(although, once again, Hal's plot stood out in this episode even though he wasn't the main point of the episode :)).