How to improve

yardgames

Retired Administrator
admin said:
Some don't like their names in common use, as they either don't like it, or for privacy reasons. Therefore I have decided against it. If you can't remember someones name the simple option is don't use it, or use their username - I always do that, its much easier for me and other readers as well as guests to understand the flow of converstions.
Fine, I'll do it the hard way then, but I'll remember everyone's name eventually.

Emrysgirl

admin said:
its much easier for me and other readers as well as guests to understand the flow of converstions.
Yeah, that's a good point. When I was new to the forums, I got very confused anytime anyone's real name was used.

arach

I'm rarely using real names too. It's much easier for me to stick with the nicknames of everyone. Besides, there are some real names that I can't even spell correctly. (Don't take that serious, Tessa... and Aditi.... and Sam... hehe, that was a good one. :D)

Anyways, I've figured out some new quotes for the top banner thingy. Maybe there are some you like to see up there.

Wooooo this' all a dreeeeam! (Reese)

Cat's ate her face! (Dewey)

Oh man, 2 guys as parents? That house gotta be a dude's paradise. (Reese)

Wow this is almost as exciting as that room full of folding chairs. (Francis)

Quiet minds are happy minds. (Buseys teacher)

Hey Reese, I've got a hole you can wish into! (Some pupil)

Never help anyone. (Malcolm (?))

You Matter! (Hal)

Nod. Nod. Agree. She's buying it! (Hal)

I swear if you can get the paste, i'll stab him for you. (Chad)

We would'nt lie to yooooouuuuuuuuu! (The singing trashcans)

How much does my head weigh? Zero! (Dewey)

I dunno, maybe love them and hug them and watch them hop around in the backyard, which they can, because their feet can touch the ground! (Dewey)

Pants back on, mister! (Lois)

I know this kid from school - his mother wakes him up with a kiss on his forehead. (Malcolm)

Better be naked when I get back. (Hal)

I hate my brothers! I only like me! (Dewey)

It turns out, every 17.4 dinners, my family actually has a pleasant meal together. (Malcolm)

That was it for now. Pretty difficult to find such short quotes... well I hope some of them are useful. :)

@ arach, some of the best quotes in my oppinion. I have another suggestion- I hope this thread isnt turning into forum bashing, cos thts not my intention- this is the best forum ever :) Any way, when I first joined, I was paranoid about not starting threads about previously discussed topics, I think it would be useful, if there was some method of searching through the entire forum using some sort of search engine. Im not sure about the effort and time implications of setting this up- so if its too hard dont bother :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
@arach those are some classic quotes. David could use to update that banner with a few more quotes, but that may make the file size too big.

@dewey, Aditi is correct; the search box even searches the archives for you.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I have a suggestion. Get rid of the Mark Forums Read button. God, I hate that button. I always push it accidentally instead of the Show New Posts button. Every time, I wonder "Why do they even have that button!?" So now I'm asking, why do we have that button?

Emrysgirl

yardgames said:
I have a suggestion. Get rid of the Mark Forums Read button. God, I hate that button. I always push it accidentally instead of the Show New Posts button. Every time, I wonder "Why do they even have that button!?" So now I'm asking, why do we have that button?
Nooooooooo:eek:!!!!!! You don't know how much time that's saved me since I discovered it! Somehow, for me, posts aren't marked as read until I go back to the forum list thing. For example: I'd go to Wilkerson Times, then to the quotes quiz or some other thread, then back to the boards page. But it wouldn't mark it read, so I'd have to go back to Wilkerson times and then back to the boards page again. Sometimes even that doesn't work and I have to pretend like I'm posting a reply before it marks it read. And then there's the sub forum! And it marks a thread as new even if I'm the one who posted the latest reply. To summarize, noooooooooo:eek:!!!!!!!!!!:D

Just move it if it's bothering you so much.

Wait...just checked, and I don't even have a show new posts button. Ok, the one on the news page, but I assume you're talking about something on the boards page.?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
yardgames said:
It's on the Quick Links on the nav bar. There is:

Mark Fourms Read

I pushed that on accident a few times also. I can't stand it.

arach

You can move or delete that one, since there is still the one at the bottom of the main forums page left, if it's bothering you that much.

Emrysgirl

arach said:
You can move or delete that one, since there is still the one at the bottom of the main forums page left, if it's bothering you that much.
That's the one I was talking about. Yeah, I never use the one in the Quicklinks (didn't even know it was there). And, like Harry said, there's another one. So I guess the quicklinks one can go.

samboo1

Ok, as a quote for the title thing at the top of the page, see my signature.

It's my favourite quote of all time!:D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
If any new quotes are added, this has gotta be one of them:

Hal: ARE YOU CRAZY? YOU'RE THROWING OUT STUFF THAT'S NOT EVEN MINE! (Malcolm Babysits)

One of my favorite MITM quotes!

I dunno, the problem with quotes is that some are REALLY funny when the said, due to the way there said, but are less funny when just written. For example, that quote when read independantly of any MITM eppisode is no where near as funny as when you watch Hal say it.

admin

Retired Administrator
Some great quotes here guys. I shall set about creating some tomorrow. I have a cunning little script which may make for more quotes! :D

I tried to make a quiz, i used sum program from the internet, but wasnt compatible with the forum, can i pm u the word copy of it (david)- whenever youve finished trapsing through your 800 e-mails

admin

Retired Administrator
Yeah sure thats fine :D

I have finished with all my emails now, most of them were spam! :D