Blackadder goes fifth and TV quality

admin

Retired Administrator
I heard recent rumours that Rowan Atkinson is willing to do a fifth series of Blackadder, as is Tony Robinson.

For any of you who haven't watched this gem, then go find it in your local library or video renting shop :D

What are your thoughts on Blackadder.

For me it is one of the funniest British comedies every to be made, especially Blackadder 2 with Queenie and the turnip shaped like a thingy :D Absoutely hilarious

I think we spend a lot of time watching American sitcoms these days in the US because we haven't produced the kind of quality series such as Blackadder, Only Fools and Horse, Fawlty Towers etc were. Many people say that television has gone down hill, but I believe that wrong, you cannot judge an entire year of television on one series and then say that the entire decade was great TV can you :D.

Sofar this century the british have had quite good sucesses with little britain and the office. But in my mind they are still no match for Blackadder and the Monty Python Films

At the moment I actually watch no UK television bar the news, I only watch Law and Order, CSI, MITM, 8 Simple Rules and Less than Perfect if I have time.

Any thoughts on the subjects :D

Dewey

Minimalistic
I've actually never seen Blackadder or the Monty Python movies. But I loved The Office, and the American version of this show is also looking good.

If you like Law & Order, I must recommend two of its spin-offs 'Special Victims Unit' and 'Trial By Jury' - these are just quality pieces of television, and are yet very different to MITM.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I haven't seen any of these either, I like The Apprentence. Normally my nights include Mon/Sun: Extreme makeover: Home Edition, a show where people tear down a house for a family who needs it and rebuilds a new one. I mainly watch for the demolition part:D, Then American Idol, (tues and wed) on wed. they kick the person off. Alsoon wed. there is a show called Mythbusters I like, 2 wacky guys try to prove common myth wrong, awesome show. then the Apprentence(thurs). Then on Sunday I watch MITM.

Do you guys get those programs(excluding MITM) in the UK and Europe?

admin

Retired Administrator
J. said:
I haven't seen any of these either, I like The Apprentence. Normally my nights include Mon/Sun: Extreme makeover: Home Edition, a show where people tear down a house for a family who needs it and rebuilds a new one. I mainly watch for the demolition part:D, Then American Idol, (tues and wed) on wed. they kick the person off. Alsoon wed. there is a show called Mythbusters I like, 2 wacky guys try to prove common myth wrong, awesome show. then the Apprentence(thurs). Then on Sunday I watch MITM.

Do you guys get those programs(excluding MITM) in England and Europe?
Yeah we certainly get most of them, American Idol, Extreme Makerover are on ITV2, I haven't seen any of the others yet, to be honest I am not a reality tv fan - I prefer a sitcom myself.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
well ive just finished watching 'the apprentice' on bbc2 and i have watched it from the start and think its seriously above any other reality show on the earth. however its the first series of the uk version here i know the us have had a few series i asume the idea was just taken to the uk and they did a britsih version. i saw extreme makeova wen i was in cuba, and black adder is 1 of my old time favs. monty python is simply amence -enought said.

Dewey

Minimalistic
No, I'm not keen on 'Criminal Intent'. Trial By Jury is the latest of the L & O spin -off series.

If you haven't seen it before, I highly recommend it.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I realise that this is a MITM forum, so I don't want to appear like I'm going off-subject here, but has anyone else seen the latest epiosde of CSI? I'm referring to '4X4' which aired on Thursday 14th April.

I'm not exagerating when I say that the episode is probably the best piece of television I've seen this year.

Don't get me wrong, I love MITM, but I'm also a fan of anything which can defy convention. The production was superb; a unique idea which worked well. Perhaps even better than MITM's Bowling episode, but I know this is somewhat debateable.

admin

Retired Administrator
appanah said:
I realise that this is a MITM forum, so I don't want to appear like I'm going off-subject here, but has anyone else seen the latest epiosde of CSI? I'm referring to '4X4' which aired on Thursday 14th April.

I'm not exagerating when I say that the episode is probably the best piece of television I've seen this year.

Don't get me wrong, I love MITM, but I'm also a fan of anything which can defy convention. The production was superb; a unique idea which worked well. Perhaps even better than MITM's Bowling episode, but I know this is somewhat debateable.
Channel Five isn't too far behind the US when it comes to CSI, so when it airs I shall watch it.

cowboy

hello god i love black adder its one of the best comedys that britain has produced i also heard i rumor that the monty python team where thinking of doing a come back not sure if this is true but it would be great :)

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
monty python come back i dout it -but it would be really amense.

welcome to the forum cowboys :D

Emrysgirl

UK:
Blackadder (trusting you on the spelling) is beautiful, as is Monty Python, both the show and the movies. Also among old British shows: Fawlty Towers. Some eps are boring, but most are wonderful. It stars John Cleese (Lancelot) and I believe it's an extension of a Motny Python sketch (or based on one).

Looking foward to the Blackadder 'sequel'. I very much doubt a Monty Python reunion since one of them (Graham Chapman (King Arthur)) is dead (unless you mean a reunion interviwe/clip show). However, they just came out with a Broadway show called Spamalot which is based on Monty Python (written by Eric Idle (Gallahad?) but none of them star)

US:
Definitely the 2 Law and Orders worth watching are SVU and Trial by Jury. Criminal intent is actuallly bad; plain is OK. Among mystery/crime shows, I love Monk:):):). I only get to watch it a few times though since my parents don't let me get cable (studies):(.
Among sitcoms, I recommend Scrubs and 2 1/2 Men. Maybe Arrested Development, not enough eps to make a decision.
I actuallythought The Office (US) was pretty boring. It wasn't bad, like the other NBC bids, just boring.

robert

I'm looking forward to the new blackadder, I hope It's as good as the other series ( espillally Series 2):D

MITM18

About a Monty Python renioun, doesnt look good at all. Michael Palin was on Conan O' Brien last week and he was very happy to be away from comedy and doing world exploring.

Jimmy Junior

I think that sounds like a terrible idea - sure, Blackadder was one of my favourite TV programmes and I think it has it's place in history, but all the main characters are now old men with grey hair.
If another series were produced it would have great expections which it probably would not be able to live up to.