8 Simple Rules

admin

Retired Administrator
I was wondering how many people watch this show on TV, its really great in my opinion. It has some of the concepts of MITM in, but its very much different in both storyline and settings.

I have been watching the episodes just after John Ritter died, and they were done fantastically, and so emotional. The latter episode with CJ and Grampa are excellent, and although not a replacment for Paul Hennessey, certainly are very good and add comedy to the show.

My favourite character is still Paul Hennesey, but also Rory, played well by Martin Spanjers. Bridget and Kerry are also played superbly.

Martin Spanjers, actually played "Richard" on the first episode of MITM, never to return again, slightly odd considering he was one of Malcolms friends! He was actually also considered to play Malcolm until Frankie turned up.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I've never seen this TV show. With the thread title: "8 Simple Rules" - I thought it was going to be forum rules.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I don't have freeview. It must be on Sky too, right?

Either way, it will have to wait until Summer for I don't have access to televsion whilst I'm at university. The only channels we can get in the media school is CNN, Fox News, Sky News, BBC News 24 and Al Jazeera. I'm sure 8 Simple Rules does not come on any of those.

admin

Retired Administrator
Sadly not :D its also a very unusual channel because its not on Sky, although it does have plans to eventually!

Your doing media studies on MITM and they don't even give you a complimentary TV to do it with, thats terrible. When you do chemistry they give you the chemicals :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
as i have stated before 8 simple rules is real good. check the latest episodes out on btefnet.com. the freaky friday episode is the best ever!

Wemboy

Well i don't like to disagree but i really hate that show. I can't even be diplomatic in this instance! I've tried to watch it (on freeview) but i just detest all the characters. Rory is annoying as he seems to act younger than his age in the show, like he's still at primary school or something. It takes him to the second series to have his "first kiss" and they make a massive deal out of it, as if it's really "special" and they never do cheesy stuff like that in MITM. To be fair, the girls make me laugh, but the parents are absolutely hateful people. The way they never let the girls go to parties, and they have to be back at a certain exact time, and they can't have boys in their room, they are just so petty! I hate the way the mother calls the girls "young lady" all the time, and the father is just a paranoid idiot (John Ritter was a good actor, he's very funny in Bad Santa), but his character in this show is like the complete opposite of Hal, who is the model to which all men should aspire! To me the show just seems to play to all that right wing cr*p about abstinence, and seems to imply that the only way to avoid srewing up your entire life is to stay in your family home until you get married, never having a social life or being given the chance to make mistakes and learn from them. It's just all so bland and inoffensive, and whilst i admit that the series with CJ and grampa is a little better than the older eps, i still hate it! sorry if this is just an incoherent rant, but damn it i hate this show!

PS, you are all entitled to your opinions, i don't want to offend anyone, blah blah blah.....:mad:

admin

Retired Administrator
Wemboy, as you have freeview, you'll be pleased to note that there are three new editions coming to it in May

1.) Men and Motors
2.) E4
3.) E4+1

All of which will be FTA

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
@wemboy

well i dont agree that its like mitm at all. i like it but it aint anywhere hear the same standard as mitm.

allison

I´ve only seen a few episodes and from what I´ve seen it´s not that bad, but certainly not great (in my opinion). It´s entertaining, but actually it´s very clichee. There´s nothing special about it, there are just two teenage girls with pretty strict (at least when it comes to parties and boys) parents. Of course there´s the smart kid (Kerry) and the stupid but popular one (Bridget). I don´t know how to describe Rory since I don´t know him very well. I think it´s one of these shows where you can watch a season, then miss 2, but when you watch it again you won´t realize that you´ve missed a lot of episodes, because there are no character developments.
But still I think it´s not that bad. I think the "goodbye" episode was very well written and touching.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I find the laugh track (or canned laughter0 off-putting. after being used to comedy shows like MITM, The Office andd Curb Your Enthusiasm that doesn't use it - its kind of over bearing. Not something we are famiar with, as it is not required.

Emrysgirl

Wow, I just deleted about half of my post after reading Allison's in the "Topic Review." Well said!:D
I felt that the show went down after John Ritter died.
I hate how Carey's character also became popular and ditsy (I going by the 3-4 eps I've half watched). It's way too sentimental for my liking. While in the past two seasons MitM has been deaing with teen problems, the actual focus of the show is quite different. That's what separates it from cliche shows such as 8 simple rules (I love how no one bother's with the second part of the title).
As to the laugh track: I can generally ignore it on shows where I'm laughing too (such as Friends and Seinfeld). But when the joke is stupid and you can tell it's fake, it gets very annoying.

Wemboy

Sound, its gonna be proper good to have E4 for free. I can watch new scrubs episodes and i'll also have two chances to watch ER and desperate housewives which i always forget! Not sure about men and motors though! Still, freeview is definitely a worth while thing to have, and these additions will make it even better, can't wait.

MITM-Fan

Well, I watch some eps of it now and then. Some of them are funny but not brilliant and far away from MITM-greatness but I think it's OK.

:cool: