701 Burning Man: Feedback, Opinions and Anaylsis

Emrysgirl

Re: Burning Man Thoughts

admin said:
Was it up the the "standard" of Malcolm in the Middle we came to expect in Seasons 1 and 2, or just a bit better than those found in Season 6.
I tried answering this earlier, but it's hard to compare an ep to seasons. It wasn't season 1 & 2 quality: I doubt they can ever go back to that standard. But, it was significantly better than the average eps from seasons 5 & 6. Yet, it was not like some of the exceptional eps, like Stilts or Ida's Boyfriend or the Army eps. See what I mean - hard to compare.

Comments on the ep in general:

Going to Burning Man: The toilet paper routine was hilarious. The RV ride over was also reminicent of the early eps. Hmmm...I think I had something else to say, but it's not coming to me now.

Hal Plot:
Very funny...my favourite plot in this ep. It was weird to see the usually convention defying character be the uptight "suburban dad". I'm think/hope Dewey will have a good analysis for this, so I won't say anything else about this just yet.

Lois Plot: I really enjoyed this plot until the topless scene at the end. Until then, the writers had managed to maintain Lois' character while still having her fit in with the burning man community. I thought they were heading in that direction when she was stitching hemp shirts (not 'discovering hemp' like the description said - that makes it sound like she was actually smoking it) and when she thought of having a Sears portrait taken. They had sort of maintained this duality of Lois' 'mom' character (stitching and dressing up her child) with the feeling of Burning Man (hemp, tatoos - fake one in this case). But they threw that away in the last scene and made it into the usual 'kids are shocked as the parents go wild' story.

Francis Plot: MISSING!! That was a disappointment.:( Although, I suppose reintroducing him as a regular character would have required a long explanation as to what he has been doing and more time than was available in this ep.

Reese Plot: Bit too much like Day Care and the season 6 eps. When he was first talking to Max (I think that was his name) about how Burning Man was about creating but that involved destroying, I thought that's what the ep would be about. Reese hears destroying is ok and goes on a rampage but then either stops having fun with it or turns it into some kind of business. But, it was the same old season-six-Reese's-spiritual-side plot. That said, it was still well done.

Malcolm Plot:
Nice to see a plot that wasn't 'completely' depressing for Malcolm. And nice to see him doing fine at the end. It was very simmilar yet very different from the Traffic Jam plot. It was sort of like an older, see-how-Malcolm's-changed version of Traffic Jam. Like in Traffic Jam, Malcolm was, for once, enjoying himself until his usual pessimistic-skeptic self kicked in. And, like in Traffic Jam, in they end, even though they weren't together, Malcolm got something out of it. In Traffic Jam, Malcolm realized that thinking of the future isn't always the best thing and you have to enjoy what you have; in Burning Man, he learned to be open to weird sounding ideas.

Dewey Plot:
Didn't quite get this one. I understood why he had to help Hal initially-he was the only one that was left behind. But, he could easily have ditched him while he was out throwing the waste or washing the rugs. And I was especially confused about why he had to help Hal at the end - with the extra work his boss had given him.

Jamie Plot:
I liked that he didn't have a full plot, but was used as a prop in other plots. I was afraid he'd become too important in this season. Of course, it's too early to say.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Re: Burning Man Thoughts

Emrysgirl said:

Dewey Plot:
Didn't quite get this one. I understood why he had to help Hal initially-he was the only one that was left behind. But, he could easily have ditched him while he was out throwing the waste or washing the rugs. And I was especially confused about why he had to help Hal at the end - with the extra work his boss had given him.

The reason why dewy has to help hal with the etra work was a recurring joke, the idea that dewy had helped hal with various thing at burning man, that he would help back home to.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
At the beginning i thought the episode was a bit boring and not that good, maybe like a season 5 episode, but then it got better and better and turned out to be an excellent episode. I really laughed a lot. some of the best scenes: Hal having to hide somewhere in the RV because everybody is watching him; The look on Jamie's face when he has all those tattos on his body... :D

reese35

Segment 2

Spoiler for Segment 2:

Lois is cooking artstically with green food coloring, Dewey's still doing work on the RV and Hal gets more scared of those guys. Malcolm and Anita wake up after their long night. Anita has work to do today, and Malcolm lets her go on. She figures Malcolm has contempt for her job. He figures he should keep his mouth shut for 5 secs. Well, he made it to 3.

I'll explain the rest in a nutshell. Jamie gets tatooed; Dewey still works; the crazier Hal gets, the more the guys love it; Reese gets asked to be a torchbearer to burn the man (He don't want to); Malcolm opens up his mind by being reborn for Anita, but gets rejected; Lois goes topless; and Reese objects so much, he throws the torch out into the distance... into the chemicals inside the RV. Forget Burning Man; how about Burning VAN?!

Back in Newcastle, Reese and Lois make it a point to go again next year, Malcolm figures he'll get over it than Hal can; and Dewey and Hal work to replace the torched RV.

My favorite was the Hal plotline at the point of which he screams, and I quote - "GET! OFF! MY! PROPERTY!!"

reese35

I thought we knew that in Buseys Take A Hostage last season. Hal was named "President, comma, Newcastle Neighborhood Association".

yardgames

Retired Administrator
He was? Not that I remember. I thought the most specific we ever got was the "tri-county area." Newcastle could be the name of their neighborhood, rather than city, as well.

packer-backer

In this episode as wel as others you can see a liscense plate while Hal is honking that funny horn. It looks very much like a California liscense plate.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
California was the close we got and im pretty sure that correct , dunno about newcastle of millbrook ?

MITM18

Wonderful episode, you aint seen nothing yet if you think this is going to be the best episode this season.

The episode felt like a Malcolm movie, lot of new creativity, loved the directing.

Here are some High Res Pics from the episode

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Nice pics,
So MITM18 do you know more about whats coming next? Have you got any video/image spoliers for us?

wando

i thaught this episode was fantastic. i dont know anything about the burning man tradition, but in the "medical" tent, i thaught 'Polly' was the woman, (jamies babysitter), i thaught she might have fit in there being weired and all.

samboo1

Cool, nice selection there. Can i ask how you actually get vidcaps because if i press print screen it shows the actual video once ive pasted.:confused:

MITM18

One way of capturing stills from video is using PowerDVD which can take pictures of your video with an easy click of a button