MITM Mistakes / Goofs / Errors / Contradictions

Richiepiep

Administrator
I found this error in some episode of season 1.

Reese playing GameBoy without a cartidge.

That's right. People involved in MITM said it was an "in-joke" though, which could be translated as either an inside joke or an intentional goof ;)

Rich

tedwilder

Very easy one : S5 E12

Hal comes back to were he had previously passed a job interview.
Problem the building dissapear. But we don't buy it : front view: hal and the street are under shadows of the building that is suppose to have vanished.. but on large view : the street and hal are in the sun light..
ps: oh yeah richie, I really think you give the staff too much "intelligence" : they arent so many "intentionals" goofs ;)

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
You are right, Ted! Another great find (which I'd noticed too, but you reported it with those great screencaps).

Yes, even the famous 'Red Dress' scene with the crew member with the bucket completely visible wasn't intentional, they just kept it in because it looked cool, and everyone's timing worked perfectly ;).

Rich

flipfreak4

Hmm... this isn't really a goof, more of a story oversight...

Dewey's moved to the Busey class in 5x18, so logic would have it he's still in that class for 5x19 - but in 5x19, Dewey's "class" are supposed to be selling chocolate bars. Given how the Buseys are treated and that they're given hardly any opportunities - Hanson is even rebuked for "learning something" - how likely is it that they're asked to go knocking on neighbours' doors selling candy bars?

I know it isn't important, but it was annoying me.

tedwilder

I found this error in some episode of season 1.

Reese playing GameBoy without a cartidge.

I'm not sure but it's either a GameBoy Pocket or Colour (White version, obvious).

Dewey is also playing without cardrige in S7 E 5 Jessica stays over at 15:42.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Hmm... this isn't really a goof, more of a story oversight...

Dewey's moved to the Busey class in 5x18, so logic would have it he's still in that class for 5x19 - but in 5x19, Dewey's "class" are supposed to be selling chocolate bars. Given how the Buseys are treated and that they're given hardly any opportunities - Hanson is even rebuked for "learning something" - how likely is it that they're asked to go knocking on neighbours' doors selling candy bars?

I know it isn't important, but it was annoying me.

Another example is in 604 Pearl Harbour. when the class were given the homework assignment on their personal hero.

flipfreak4

Another example is in 604 Pearl Harbour. when the class were given the homework assignment on their personal hero.

You're right, I'd forgotten about that one. I guess Dewey was only referenced as being in the Busey class when it suited the main story, the rest of the time it was ignored. Or forgotten about.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Continuity error in 'Victor's Other Family' (5x20)

At the start of the episode, Hal and Dewey are talking about taking part in the father-son race. In the first long shots, Dewey is reading a comic magazine, but quickly puts it away when Hal starts talking to him. It remains next to him on the couch in all the long shots. Yet in all the medium shots on Dewey he still has the magazine in his lap!

Rich

MITM_Fan

I've found another error, this time on S02E21:

34t2xqa.jpg

Reese was throwing stuff and a hand appeared. At first it was kinda strange to see it.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Yes in the early seasons things like this happen now and again, at the time it was broadcast 4:3 so the hand would be cut off, also I think the monitors they where using where 4:3 even though the film was 16:9 widescreen.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Yes in the early seasons things like this happen now and again, at the time it was broadcast 4:3 so the hand would be cut off, also I think the monitors they where using where 4:3 even though the film was 16:9 widescreen.

Sounds like a perfectly sound explanation! They should have monitored the monitors. On the other hand, it may be a surprise cameo by Thing from The Addams Family!

Rich

Yasashii

In 4th season when Hal and Lois find out that Lois is pregnant, they talk about ways to save money. Hal says that it wouldn't kill anybody if they stopped wearing label clothes. Lois answered, that they are not wearing any. Not exactly right because almost whole family is wearing Puma shoes. Take a look:

(Click to zoom)

Now, take a look at these: http://www.google.pl/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Apl%3Aofficial&hl=pl&source=imghp&biw=1280&bih=778&q=puma+shoes&gbv=2&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=puma+s&gs_rfai=

As You can see, almost every model has the specific wave on the side, just like those from MITM.

If You pay attention You will notice that every character is almost aways wearing puma. It really looks like MITM had some agreement with Puma.

edit:

I found another one. In episode 18 of 4th season, Lois is in the last month of her pregnancy. This didn't seem to bother her and Hal. They had sex in the hotel. MITM crew obviously didn't know that pregnant women can only have sex before 4th month of pregnancy.

And another one. In episode 21 of 4th season, when Lois is giving a birth, once the baby is delivered, it's totally clean as You can see:

Just born children are always covered with blood all over them. Maybe they couldn't show it like that so it isn't too drastic or something but even though showing it perfectly clean is a goof.

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Thanks a lot for your contribution, Yasashii! Yes, it's extremely likely that there was a product placement deal between Regency Television (who originally produced MITM), to promote as many Puma products as they could during the run of Malcolm in the Middle:

http://www.crownlimited.com/Assets/Files/final_media_release_1_050303.pdf (from the 2003 annual report)

New Regency

Television and movie production company New Regency experienced strong growth off the back of improvement in the quality and depth of its film library, including the recent release of “Daredevil”, the ongoing success of its television joint venture with Fox, particularly with “Malcolm in the Middle”, and the increased value of its approximately 37% stake in PUMA.

And it's not just "you've got to know it's Puma", because a few times it quite blatant, as in episode Rollerskates:

Malcolm_In_The_Middle01610.jpg

It does stretch the "we're a poor family" routine a bit, just as when I just found out that the shirt Lois wears for S5 is a Ralph Lauren creation!

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9433

See thread:

http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=233&highlight=puma

P.S. I'm not qualified to comment on having sex during pregnancy. I guess it depends on how you define 'sex'. ;)

Last edited:

PBUNDY

I found another one. In episode 18 of 4th season, Lois is in the last month of her pregnancy. This didn't seem to bother her and Hal. They had sex in the hotel. MITM crew obviously didn't know that pregnant women can only have sex before 4th month of pregnancy.

I don't want to take this thread in a weird direction, but it is perfectly healthy for a pregnant woman to engage in sex all throughout her pregnancy as long as their are no pregnancy complications.;)

PBUNDY

I was watching the Pilot episode and this caught my eye. There's an apron that says Lloyd's with the same button "The L Stands For Value". Was Lois originally going to work for Lloyd's instead of the Lucky Aide?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I was watching the Pilot episode and this caught my eye. There's an apron that says Lloyd's with the same button "The L Stands For Value". Was Lois originally going to work for Lloyd's instead of the Lucky Aide?

Awesome find! First I've heard of it. But would make sense.