Any TV shows that you love as much as MITM?

AlexTheMartian

"Weeds" I love it 2nd but close to as much as MITM. Only difference is I am on tons of Malcolm in the Middle sites and I watch every thing the actors do after the show ended. With Weeds I mainly just watch every episode and can never miss any.

MalcolmFun

Seinfeld and Malcolm are the only TV shows in my life that I cared enough to make sure I actually saw every single episode.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Well, I really don't like sitcoms that much, and I hardly ever tune in to watch each and every episode, but I grew up watching "I Love Lucy" and "All In The Family", so that's how I got my first taste of it.

The shows I really liked were "The Powers That Be", "Cheers", "The Wonder Years" (I followed this religiously, because I was a teenager back then, and it seemed to mirror my own life) and later on "Carnivale" and "Angels in America", which bowled me over. I was similarly stunned by "Dead Like Me". These three series sometimes really moved me and creeped me out. Oh, and I like "The Simpsons"! "South Park" is too gross and nihilistic to my taste.

Most of the time, American sitcoms don't really click with me though (cultural differences/bias? - acting seems either too lame or too exaggerated, writing is formulaic, I hate the often dumb laugh tracks and I don't get all the showbiz references), and I prefer British stuff like "The Royle Family", "Absolutely Fabulous" (sometimes too camp though), "The Office (GB)" (the US version is not too shabby either, but weird to watch in that respect) and "Shameless" (sometimes a bit too gross).

I guess I should catch up on Seinfeld (never knew when it was on) and "The Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under", which I couldn't watch because it was shown at impossible hours (after midnight on weekdays!). I'm trying to watch "Weeds" now, but so far I feel no click - I can't really relate to the leading characters. Yet.

Rich

Last edited:

AlexTheMartian

The last thing I posted here was a drama, or really a dramedy, however, since Richiepiep started talking about sitcoms, I wanted to say which sitcoms I like (other than MITM of course), one of the ones I really like, is "Two and a Half Men", however I like just about every sitcom, I've watched basically every sitcom currently on American television at least one time. For Two and a Half men I just think it has great comedy and I would love to live like Charlie, but really I am as bad with women as Alan, lol!

Also "George Lopez Show" is one I really like, his mother is hilarious!

Now, since we are in different countries, I want to share non-U.S. shows that I like. Really the only one is "Skins" in UK, however I really liked the 1st two series, but do not really like the new cast in the 3rd series. I feel the 1st cast has much deeper emotions and complexity so it was easier to get hooked on. Maybe the 4th series will go more into the characters, but I stooped watching the 3rd series after 3rd or 4th episode, because I just miss the old cast too much.

Last edited:

Lparsons7981

I'd say right now, Breaking Bad is my favorite show on television, and I personally think it is one of, if not the best drama on TV right now.

Richiepiep

Administrator
I'm slowly but surely getting hooked on Mad Men now. I like it how all sorts of intrigues and emotions are bubbling barely under the surface, but kept in check nearly all the time, because that's what society demanded of people back then. To me, it has elements of David Lynch combined with what I remember from Fifties' movies, in that they all had to use subtle ways to hint at what couldn't be said out loud. A lot like this movie Far From Heaven, reassessing that era and its mores from today's perspective.

It's also fascinating how they recreated a time that you don't often get to see, it's the all-too familiar Fifties on the surface, but with elements of the Sixties creeping in, without going for the more eye-catching late Sixties' clichés of free love, hippies, drugs, teen rebellion, rock music and all that.

Rich

Lparsons7981

I'm slowly but surely getting hooked on Mad Men now. I like it how all sorts of intrigues and emotions are bubbling barely under the surface, but kept in check nearly all the time, because that's what society demanded of people back then. To me, it has elements of David Lynch combined with what I remember from Fifties' movies, in that they all had to use subtle ways to hint at what couldn't be said out loud. A lot like this movie Far From Heaven, reassessing that era and its mores from today's perspective.

It's also fascinating how they recreated a time that you don't often get to see, it's the all-too familiar Fifties on the surface, but with elements of the Sixties creeping in, without going for the more eye-catching late Sixties' clichés of free love, hippies, drugs, teen rebellion, rock music and all that.

Rich

Mad Men is a great show, hope you enjoy it as much as I have :)

Richiepiep

Administrator
I just finished watching the first season of 'Mad Men'. Wow, what a series. Magnificent casting and art direction that makes the late Fifties - early Sixties almost palpable, clever writing that addresses the extremely awkward situations and relations on the job that I recognize from my own diverse career, and fine, nuanced and subtle acting. Kudos to all involved.

It's also ironic that leading actor Jon Hamm should be nominated for an Emmy twice along with Bryan Cranston - and lose to him twice!

Rich

Last edited:

MITM_Fan

I've already said that "Everybody Hates Chris" was my fave, but really the chosen one is Dexter, it makes me alive, happy seeing what he does, it's really unique and poweful.

Don't get the wrong idea, but some people deserve it.

Showtime show bigtime. :laugh:

zachman93

House is a very close contender with MitM for me.

Not quite as good but still my favourites - Monk, The Simpsons, Avatar: the Last Airbender.

Not storylined shows but I still enjoy: The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, Mythbusters, No Reservations (Anthony Bourdain)

Getting into Futurama.

MITM97

For me personally I love The Wonder Years a truly phenomenal show and one that I watched and now like quite a bit better than MITM. TWY is so true to life even though I wasn’t even alive when the show aired. I relate quite a bit more to TWY than to MITM (though there are exceptions) Breaking bad used to be my #1but is now #2 and MITM is #3. That’s just me but something about the wonder years really got me and it’s just sooooo freakin good, I think part of it also has to do with the fact that it is similar to Malcolm in several cases.