Where is the Family From / Live?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Re: Renewed Debate--Where is the family from?

All the clues they've given were just given to make us THINK we can figure out their location.

Alfista Junior

Actually, this topic is kinda weird. I mean the location where they're supposed to live interfers with the location where the show is filmed. Even if they don't give enough clues to figure out where they live, we can't not accept what we see. We see houses and street in the CBS studios, the School on the studios too, we see the californian landscape and a lot of studio city's streets. So, for me, what I see is stronger than their silence. So, I implicitly think they live in California and it's not because the producers refuse to say literally Malcolm's family live in some definite city in Californnia that they're strongly opposed we are under the feeling they live somewhere in California.

Not being accurate is a tool they often used because hiding exact locations, family names etc.. has always given the producers the opportunity to keep us staring at the true core of the show. It also provide an opportunity not to have their hands tied. (I'm not sure of this expression: I mean they will always have all the choices when they write a new plot)
Mystery is something usefull: because you use your imagination, you don't just accept what you hear or see without thinking. In Mitm they often intentionally forget to provide us some keys of the plot in order to make our brain work..

We cannot say they live in California but we know they don't live outside california...

Although what Alfista Junior says is probably the most likely explanation, who likes likely- I'm sticking with purgatory...or Disneyland!

@tony montana, I have never watched an episode of Star Trek, Star Wars or anything with Star in the title- I have a slight fear of all that is sci-fi

jetcombo15

There isn't really a point in trying to figure out where they live, considering the writers themselves don't know. Even though they give all these clues, they're not actually trying to be consistent with a real world location, such as a certain state or city.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

We understand that, but we like taking things a step further. :D

Welcome to the forums, If you have any questions, PM me, Yardgames, or Wildcat, your friendly mods. Enjoy the forums!

@Tom- sci-fi scares you? I weep for you, it is the future, after all... :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

jetcombo15 said:
There isn't really a point in trying to figure out where they live, considering the writers themselves don't know. Even though they give all these clues, they're not actually trying to be consistent with a real world location, such as a certain state or city.
Yeah, you'll soon find out we enjoy discussing hypothetical situations where no one can really be wrong because there's no true right answer. We have quite a few discussions like this that pop up every now and then. :) Welcome to the forums--have fun.

jetcombo15

Well, when guessing, try not to take into account the looks of the school, or the weather or something similar to that. Obviously, since it's filmed in California, it's going to have California weather, and the school is going to look like a typical Californian school, even though it might be set somewhere else.
Thanks for the welcome. I mainly came here looking for a place to talk about this (now underrated and overlooked) show. It really saddens me the show had to end now. I'm sure it could have kept going for at least one more season, if FOX gave it a little more promotion. But then again, That 70s Show gets much better ratings and is just so much funnier, with its great laugh track and dead-end jokes, obviously that should get promoted to no end.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

Allow me to welcome you to the forum as well, jetcombo15. You came to the right place if you want to talk about MITM. :) Like you, many of us are very bitter that FOX didn't promote the show this final season. You should find our Underrated thread very interesting if you haven't seen it yet!

@J. Sci-Fi is a pervese idea of the future, thought up by someone with a life size carboard cut out of Spock :D I dunno, I guess I'm just not fascinated by it.

jetcombo15

What I find ironic is that the That 70s Show finale, which got promoted for weeks, got about 9.3 million viewers that night, while the Malcolm finale, which had literally no promotion at all, got about 7.5 million viewers, just under 2 million viewers less. Marginal difference for a network like FOX, which only cares about ratings.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis

Back to the topic of where the family is from, I just watched "Vegas" on reruns a few minutes ago and at the end in the car, Hal says, "So, ten hours of stony silence?" So there's another clue.:)

jetcombo15

It would still have to be fast enough to go with the flow of the traffic, though. Unless they're taking a completely deserted road.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Probably another clue that means about as much as the reference in the Pilot that Alabama is 1000 miles from where they live and in Francis Escapes where Marlin is eight states away.

Isn't the ranch supposed to be about 8 hours away, when Francis drives back home to prove to Lois that he is not lazy.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I think it's closer than that, because Francis actually visits rather frequently and without much planning involved. Like when Dewey hitchhikes, or when Francis comes home to help with the new baby or when Hal is indicted..

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

Didn't they actually say that the ranch is in New Mexico once? Or did I just assume that cause of the whole Roswell thing in one ep? If it's in New Mexico, 8 hours in any direction could be Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Utah or Arizona. Probably wouldn't be able to make it to Southern California from New Mexico in 8 hours though.