Soaps

samboo1

Anyone here like soaps? I feel that you can either hate them or love them. I dunno the different soaps they have in America but here the main ones and like Coronation street and Eastenders etc...
My Mum got hooked on coronation street and i just sat watching it coz i was bored and my Mum had it on so....as much as i hate to admit it, i have become addicted to it and i HATE soaps so much but something pulls me to watch it at 7.30!
Anyway...i remember a lot of people saying they hated them so....your extended thoughts?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I absolutely despise daytime soaps. They're just so cheesy! I can't believe some of them have been on the air as long as I've been alive! I do, however, like Desperate Housewives. The storylines are interesting (even though some of them do have that cheesy soap opera feel), but there is also a lot of comedy mixed in too. That's mainly why I like it. I also like Lost, which isn't really considered a soap, but it's one of those things that you have to watch every week to understand what's going on.

totti56

i like to watch the hollyoaks omnibus on sundays but no others, in hollyoaks there is plenty of hot lasses so i grabs my attention.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
samboo1 said:
Personally, i wouldnt call that a soap. More like a sitcom.

Yeah, you're right. It is a lot lighter in nature than most soaps, but some things on there aren't really sitcom material either. Like (may be spoilers, I have no idea what season other countries are on) one woman killed her son's biological mother and chopped her into pieces then ended up blowing her own brains out, then her husband beat the neighbor to death because she was nosing around in their business. Then a guy poisioned (and killed) a woman's husband because he was in love with her, and one woman had an affair with a guy half her age, got pregnant and had no idea who the father was. While much of it is comedy, there are a few things that are a lot darker and more "soapish." I guess it's more of a modern type soap than the ones that we're used to.

samboo1

Wildcat said:
Yeah, you're right. It is a lot lighter in nature than most soaps, but some things on there aren't really sitcom material either. Like (may be spoilers, I have no idea what season other countries are on) one woman killed her son's biological mother and chopped her into pieces then ended up blowing her own brains out, then her husband beat the neighbor to death because she was nosing around in their business. Then a guy poisioned (and killed) a woman's husband because he was in love with her, and one woman had an affair with a guy half her age, got pregnant and had no idea who the father was. While much of it is comedy, there are a few things that are a lot darker and more "soapish." I guess it's more of a modern type soap than the ones that we're used to.
Yeah, good point. It's like a dramatic sitcom lol.

reese35

In the States, I watch Days of our Lives, the Young and the Restless, and the Bold and the Beautiful. I wish we'd get Neighbours, Home and Away, and/or Hollyoaks. I'd definitely watch those. I don't know about Family Affairs, since it's closing this week. If only Fox had a daytime lineup. Then they'd have Hollyoaks, H&A, Neighbours, and maybe a little EastEnders.

Actually, the lineup - EastEnders, Hollyoaks, Neighbours, H&A

samboo1

reese35 said:
In the States, I watch Days of our Lives, the Young and the Restless, and the Bold and the Beautiful. I wish we'd get Neighbours, Home and Away, and/or Hollyoaks. I'd definitely watch those. I don't know about Family Affairs, since it's closing this week. If only Fox had a daytime lineup. Then they'd have Hollyoaks, H&A, Neighbours, and maybe a little EastEnders.

Yeah, i used to watch neighbours, went off it though. The only soap i watch is coronation street (or as we put it over here, corrie lol). Im getting really obsessed with it as well. So obsessed that i am now a member of their forums, lol!

reese35

Ooh, jeez! A few minutes ago, I e-mailed Fox about a daytime lineup. Goes a lil' somethin' like this...

Hello, FBC. Call me Parson. I've been thinking about a possible Daytime lineup for you. Since ABC, NBC, CBS have Daytime lineups, as will be the WB, maybe it's time you had one. I think instead of coming up with your own soaps, maybe you should get some of the others. I'm thinking the British soaps Hollyoaks (Channel 4) and Family Affairs (Channel Five); and the Australian soaps Neighbours (Network Ten) and Home and Away (Seven Network). FremantleMedia (same company who manages American Idol) manages Family Affairs (Talkback/Thames) and Neighbours (Grundy); Hollyoaks is managed by Mersey Television; and H&A is managed by Seven Network. Give it some thought. Talk with the companies. That's all I have to say. Thanks for listening.

Parson

samboo1

Cool, hope they pay some attention. The 'call me Parson' thing made me laugh...reminded me of James Bond for some reason.

simon_4420

I have to say that at one point I was addicted to Eastenders for a few months, and I used to watch The Bill, but since I got a job I sort of lost intrest in watching TV as I'm either at work, school or out of mates. When I do watch TV tho it's mainly Sitcoms and films as I can't stand to watch soaps as they all end up with the same story lines and fighting for the same viewers with their "christmas specials" and dramatic episodes that last for weeks.

ooohh and for you Eastenders fans Hannah Waterman (Laura Beale) lives near me with her husband (guy that plays Gary) and fills her car up where I work, She is one moody .....! lol

yardgames

Retired Administrator
reese35 said:

You watch a lot of TV. :D Plus the news. :)

ajpp16

i watch eastenders, corrie, and hollyoaks...i love them! ok mayb loves too strong a word:rolleyes: ..... i used to watch neighbours when i was younger too and also home & away when i was even younger! but i dont like them anymore

Soap Opera, although I at times lothe this form of 'entertainment', I must admit it has a purpose. Unlike the nonsensical crap presented by the numerous reality tv shows, soap opera does attempt to tackle important social and political issues, at least getting ignorant people, who adopt the attidtude 'Don't care about politics its boring', to understand its importance. So although I don't personally watch them, I feel they are one more obstacle in the way of reality tv dominance :D