Episode Synopses at the OS

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I liked it better when the episode synopses at the FOX site were journal entries written from Malcolm's point of view. No other site does/has done that apart from when Gist had a MITM TV Fan Club site which no longer exists now. I guess they no longer do that because the show isn't from Malcolm's point of view any more, hence the termination of talking to the camera.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Before these forums cropped up, I left several opinions of mine on this subject at the official forums and actually got some good replies. I'll try to dig those out, because people had some interesting thoughts on that.

I will comment that I used to enjoy watching the episode, and then re-reading it from Malcolm's point of view with the journal later in the week.

Dewey

Minimalistic
Yardgames, I remember your posting on the Fox forum. It was some months ago. I was one of those that responded, although I don't remember what I wrote.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I had an idea a few months back on how we could embrace this. I thought it may have been wasted on the Fox forum though, hence the reason I never posted. I'll write my proposal here instead, so do let me know what you think of this idea.

I was thinking about introducing our own journal entries for the episodes told in a first person format, specially for this forum.

It would not only add another dimesion to this website, but also allows users to show off their creative writing skills. And in my case, writing really is one of the only things I'm actually good at.

But I was thinking: why stop at Malcolm's Journal? We could also have Dewey's Diary and Reese's Scrapbook. This would allow us to see different perspectives of the same episodes. Even better if some of the views contradict each other. My only request is that I get to write Dewey's Diary as I feel I am able to relate to that character the most. Of course, I'll still continue to write my analyses of each episode.

I was thinking that we should have some basic ground rules:

• A limit of 350 words for each diary extract.
  • The tone and language should be similar to that of the character. For example, Reese would not speak in long complex words.
  • Only comment on the specific scenes to which the character was involved.
ENDS

If you think this is a good idea, then I'll go right ahead and write an extract for Dewey's Diary for all future episodes commencing the next.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Here's the link to the conversation I was referring to: http://forums.prospero.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=foxmalcolm&msg=37858.1&search=y

Appanah, you seem quite excited about your idea, and I think it's a very good idea. However, I dont think we should have just one person assigned to each person. We could rotate through people with each episode so a variety of people can take a turn to write, if they're so inclined. That would be very interesting indeed. What would Dewey have to write in his diary after Ida Loses a Leg?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
appanah said:
I had an idea a few months back on how we could embrace this. I thought it may have been wasted on the Fox forum though, hence the reason I never posted. I'll write my proposal here instead, so do let me know what you think of this idea.

I was thinking about introducing our own journal entries for the episodes told in a first person format, specially for this forum.

It would not only add another dimesion to this website, but also allows users to show off their creative writing skills. And in my case, writing really is one of the only things I'm actually good at.

But I was thinking: why stop at Malcolm's Journal? We could also have Dewey's Diary and Reese's Scrapbook. This would allow us to see different perspectives of the same episodes. Even better if some of the views contradict each other. My only request is that I get to write Dewey's Diary as I feel I am able to relate to that character the most. Of course, I'll still continue to write my analyses of each episode.

I was thinking that we should have some basic ground rules:

• A limit of 350 words for each diary extract.
  • The tone and language should be similar to that of the character. For example, Reese would not speak in long complex words.
  • Only comment on the specific scenes to which the character was involved.
ENDS

If you think this is a good idea, then I'll go right ahead and write an extract for Dewey's Diary for all future episodes commencing the next.
Appanah, this is a great idea! I just noticed your Instant Message. I reckon we should do this. We would all be good at it. :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, then let's get going with No Motorcycles. Appanah obviously wants to do Dewey. That leaves Reese and Malcolm for regulars, and if anyone else wants to do Francis, Hal, Piama, or Lois, any one of them would be good for this episode.

Dewey

Minimalistic
yardgames said:
We could rotate through people with each episode so a variety of people can take a turn to write, if they're so inclined.
That is a good idea. It would allow everyone the opportunity to write from each charcater's point of view. Of course, if demand becomes so high, we may have to draw lots before each episode airs.

You are right as well: there is no limit on how far we could take this. I mean, why not write from Hal, Lois, Piama and Francis too?

To me, Lois would be the ulitmate challenge. To gain sufficient understanding into how she is feeling and her actions would be somewhat complex. My brain just doesn't function in that way. If someone here is able to pull that off - man, would I be impressed!

Dewey

Minimalistic
I'll comence this feature with the writing of Dewey's Diary for the episode No Motorcycles.

I was just thinking about presentation. Is it possible to utilise some web design skills in having the extracts in the layout of a book, with a page for each episode? Maybe in the way that Fox have done on their site. I honestly have no idea of how to start creating something like that.

Perhaps each diary / scrap book can be made to visually match the character's personality. For example, Reese's would be torn around the edges, maybe half burned with gum on the front cover. Lois on the otherhand would have a book that is well organised. Its neat, perhaps even spiral bounded and indexed.

What do you think of this idea?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think it sounds like you've been thinking about this for a very long time, and I also think it's growing in complexity. Maybe we now need a Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Journals site?

We'll have to wait and see if David could make some type of template like that. If he can't I could try, but David's stuff turns out better usually, so he might as well do it first if he can.

If that ends up being a bit impossible, maybe we could just create a Journals subforum.

I'll do Malcolm then, doesn't anyone else want to help?

Reese? Francis? Hal would be fun...

Dewey

Minimalistic
Yeah, I realise that I may have been asking too much. I understand that the complexity would make it very challenging. With that in mind, please ignore my last request.

@Yardgames: Reading your previous posts, I think you will be good at being Malcolm.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It's good to be excited. Don't forget about your ideas, let's just see if David thinks their feasible in their original form, and if not, modify them a bit so they are feasible.

admin

Retired Administrator
Creating pages is quite easy, we could probably nick Fox's page background for that.

To create different types of pages for different characters again is easy, but you have to come up with three unique pages while keeping them all readable to the user.

It will obviously require a new sister site, so my suggestion for now is to start a sticky in the Metro (yardgames can help with that, well atleast I think he has that power) each for Dewey, Reese and Malcolm or however many characters you are going to do it for. Once you have a enough you can consider making the site. It would also help me as it means I don't have to create a site which is easily editable, I can just do what I want, and make it as complex and fancy as I want as I no I am the only one needing to edit it..

Anyway, thats about all I can say :D