Thanksgiving

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'm curious about how you all observe the Thanksgiving holiday. Is it observed outside the United States? If you celebrate it, how?

My tradition is eating my dad's fantastic turkey meal, then playing the board game Cranium.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
We always prepare the deserts the night before (that's my job). This year I'm making lemon merenge pie and pecan pie. Then on Thanksgiving morning, I watch the Macy's parade and help out in the kitchen. Actually, I don't "watch" the parade, but rather listen to it cause I'm usually busy with other stuff. I haven't really payed attention to it in years, but there's something soothing about having it on the background I guess. It's just tradition. Then we eat in the afternoon and just relax the rest of the day. Sometimes we start getting Christmas decorations out if we feel like it. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I have a new thanksgiving day tradition, Absegami vs Oakcrest (the sister scholl to Absegami) rivaly game. I'll be going to that very soon (2 hours, we have to practice, get our legs working again, we have a half time show to do:))

Then I just do what I normally do, go to my grandparents, see all my cousins, have fun, eat a massive turkey, and play our own football game on my grandparent's yard(which isn't that big).

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I think the German equivalent to Thanksgiving is the "Erntedankfest", but i'm not totally sure. Anyways, the Erntedankfest ist just a very normal holiday for us, nothing about having a great turkey to eat or something (actually i'm pretty jealous on you Americans as I like eating very much :D). We don't have any parades neither. And nowadays it is't celebrated really anymore, normally only older people do.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I was reading the Wikipedia article referred to by TJ and it mentioned "turducken." I've asked about turkey muckfish in the past, but how about turkducken--a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken. Anyone ever have that? Woudl anyone consider it?

samboo1

Thats interesting. A Turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken! I hate Duck so i would'nt consider it. I like Turkey and Chicken though:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Never heard of a turducken, nor does it sound that good. Mainly because I don't really like duck. It sounds better than turkey and muckfish though. I wouldn't eat that, I dont care how good a cook Reese is. :) Just curious, what do you all have with your turkey? It seems that people have differnt side dishes depending on what part of the country you live in. In the Wikipedia article, it said they often serve crab with their turkey on the west coast. We have turkey (traditional, baked) with gravy, candied yams, cabbage seasoned with country ham, oyster dressing, cranberry sauce and biscuits. That's a typical southern menu, except a lot of people serve ham too. What about you guys in other parts of the country?

samboo1

I have turkey with lots of vegetables, gravy, yorkshire puddings (i love them!), apple or cranberry sauce (apple for me:D) and stuffing.

Oh btw...what are yams?:eek:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Most people call sweet potatoes yams, but they're really two different vegetables (though very similiar.) We just call them yams even though we use sweet potatoes. Candied yams are when you mix them with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I usually have turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, candied carrots, stuffing, dinner rolls, and pie.

It seems like turkey is the only common denominator. So you celebrate Thanksgiving, samboo?

samboo1

Wildcat said:
Most people call sweet potatoes yams, but they're really two different vegetables (though very similiar.) We just call them yams even though we use sweet potatoes. Candied yams are when you mix them with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
They sound good:D Ive tried Sweet potatoes and they were nice so i bet i would like yams:cool:

yardgames said:
So you celebrate Thanksgiving, samboo?
Nope, i dont but Wildcat was asking what people from other countries have with turkey...i guess it did sound like i celebrated it, but i just ment what i had with turkey for other occasions.:D