Honda commercial that made me think of Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
At first glance, you're thinking, "Boy! Why is a moderator spamming for Honda?"

Well, allow me to explain. I'm not spamming. Rather, I received an email through the grapevine with a link to this excellent commercial for Honda. It's two minutes long, and I quite honestly didn't realize who it was advertising until the last fifteen seconds. It's quite entertaining, and really reminds me of the time when Hal constructed his dominoes after Dewey had put them away without knocking them down. Really rather amazing. It took some 506 takes, says the original email.

In fact, here is teh email:

the dude who wrote this email said:
This is good! Be patient...watch the whole commercial...it is
unbelievable...
Very important that you understand: There are no computer graphics or
digital tricks in the film.
Everything you see really happened in real time exactly as you see it.
The film took 606 takes.
On the first 605 takes something, usually very minor, didn't work.
They would then have to set the whole thing up again. The crew spent
weeks shooting night and day. The film cost six
million dollars and took three months to complete, including a full
engineering of the sequence.
In addition, it's two minutes long so every time Honda airs the film on
British television, they're shelling out enough dough to keep anyone of us
in clover for a lifetime.
Honda executives figure the ad will soon pay for itself simply in "free"
viewings (Honda isn't paying a dime to have
you watch this commercial!).
When the ad was pitched to senior executives, they signed off on it
immediately without any hesitation - including the costs.
There are six and only six hand-made Accords in the world. To the horror
of Honda engineers, the filmmakers disassembled two of them to make the
film.
Everything you see in the film (aside from the walls, floor, ramp, and
complete Honda Accord) are parts from those two cars.
When the ad was shown to Honda executives, they liked it and commented
on how amazing computer graphics have gotten.
They fell off there chairs when they found out it was for real.

Without further ado, here's the link: http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/cs/honda/051303/honda_ad.swf

Take a look at let me know what you think.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
You're right. That is a lot like the dominoes scene. Whoever designed that did a pretty impressive job!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Ive got the DVD of it, its great. (sad i know but it came through the door ages ago) and i liked the cd deign so now its a placemat in my room.

However if you look at it the speaker have to be CGI they look very fake. so i think the idea its all for real is a little exagerattion.

BTW the link isnt showing up for me in Sams post.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
reese35 said:
No. Is this meant to be a joke? Because if it is, none of us are laughing.
I feel insulted by your comment. I don't know why the link doesn't show up for you and I'm sincerely sorry that it doesn't, but if it bothers you that much, I won't share stuff like this with the community anymore. Next time I'll just keep my thoughts to myself.

samboo1

I can see the link fine as well. That was a little harsh though Reese35. I appreciate Sam sharing these with us, its not his fault if you can see the link.
Anyway on a good note that made me think of Hal as well. Id already seen it, it was on TV a while back. Thats what you call a good commercial. I hate car commercials normally but this one was just so cool i cant hate it:D Yeah its like Hals dream to see that go off!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I really cant see the link at all, maybe something on the forum setup is blocking it. I can see if i go quote and then its there in the quote, which make me thing it the forum. werid. david?

han_keep_smilin

i cant see the like ither but im not too upset at it it was harsh reese35 i dont mind you speakin out yardgames well its what the websites for isnt it? to talk about MITM and things

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, unfortunately, this thread has turned into a battle pitting yardgames against reese35. I appreciate your support, but feel it is best that this thread is closed at this time. Maybe David can figure out why the links don't work. Until then, this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.