Web Hosting

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Im looking for new web hosting, im currently with 1and1, and i pay about £4.99 a month for 800MB of storage but no MySQL. I making ym own site that needs MySQL, no of any good hosts preferably cheaper than 1and1 that include a MySQl database.

Any thoughts?

admin

Retired Administrator
The forums here are hosted on 4uhosting.co.uk

They seem to have some bad publicity in some forums, but to be quite frank, they have been excellent for us, the only problem we had was when there server crashed last year sometime. They were very quick and prompt to fix it, and they told me what was going on all the time.

There customer support is good, and they offer all the features for any webdesigner! :D

Lycos is also quite good, but better for beginners as they simplify everything.

Designerhosting.co.uk is also supposed to be very good!

@Dewey, a MYSQL database, is essentially like a Microsoft Access database, whereby things you enter on a web page get entered into the database, and when you enter a website, things get taken out of the database and put on your website. The forums have a mysql database, as does the main VC. Essentially it helps it be "dynamic"

jrrowleyws

Ive got a few sites hosted with www.penguin-uk.com

They run really quick servers and have an excellent support team. Been with them 3 years now, no problems what so ever. Theyve got a range of packages to suit everyone.

They use Ensim control panel which can seem confusing at first but is actually really good and one of the most secure around. Its loads better than CPanel etc.

If anyone wants web hosting for free i recommend freewebs: www.freewebs.com. I've made lots of sites with them, one called MalcolmReeseDewey!! I'm not advertising by the way. Also if you do beginners site, you pick cool templates and it's also easy to navigate. I strongly recommend them!!