Romance and Cigarettes

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Wasn't Romance & Cigarettes supposed to come out in august? I haven't even seen previews yet. I assume the release date was pushed back. Does anyone know when it's supposed to come out? Ryebeach, I'm looking in your direction:D

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Yes, Justin Berfield is a co-producer for the movie, so I thought Ryebeach would be up to date on any details.

Well, I guess the August 19th release date I saw was the "limited" release date. It has apparently shown at the Toronto Film Festival and probably a few others. I know I have been to an offical site for the movie once before, but for some reason I can't find it anymore. So, I don't think a general release date has been decided yet.

arach

For everyone who has never heard of Romance and Cigarettes (like me), here is a little review:

Spoiler for Review:
Romance and Cigarettes is a down-and-dirty musical love story set in the world of the working class. Nick (James Gandolfini) is an ironworker who builds and repairs bridges. He's married to Kitty (Susan Sarandon), a dressmaker, a strong and gentle woman with whom he has three daughters. He is carrying on a torrid affair with a redheaded woman named Tula (Kate Winslet). Nick is basically a good, hardworking man driven forward by will and blinded by his urges. Like Oedipus at Colonus, he is sent into exile and searches to find his way back through the damage he has done. In an imaginative, humorous, and touching way, Romance and Cigarettes explores the cost and value of a relationship through life and death. When the characters can no longer express themselves with language, they break into song, lip-synching the tunes lodged in their subconscious. It is their way to escape the harsh reality of their world - to dream, to remember, and to connect to another human being.
(Copied from imdb.com)

Hmmm, seems to be a musical movie. I usually don't like those kind of movies. I guess I won't watch it.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Rye hasn't been here for awhile, I know he's quite a busy person. He's a doctor, isn't he? I'm sure we'll be seeing him again soon, and then he can post his two cents on the question.

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
Rye hasn't been here for awhile, I know he's quite a busy person. He's a doctor, isn't he? I'm sure we'll be seeing him again soon, and then he can post his two cents on the question.
Hi everyone - I'm not a doctor, just work in a doctor's office as a Patient Administrator. :)

Yes, "Romance and Cigarettes" was supposed to be released in the US August 19th. The exact reason for the delay wasn't given except to say it would instead be premiering in the Venice and Toronto Film festivals (good promotion) which were both held in the past couple of weeks. No official US release date has been announced as of yet. No official site or trailer as of yet either.

Amazing cast consisting of James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Mandy Moore, Christopher Walken, Steve Buscemi and Kate Winslet among others and directed by John Turturro.

Emrysgirl

Ryebeach said:
directed by John Turturro.
Didn't know that. John Turturro is a great actor.

From the plot, the movie seems like one of those where every scene is masterfully done, but as a whole, its unrealistic and tiresome. Like Mystic River.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Ryebeach said:
Hi everyone - I'm not a doctor, just work in a doctor's office as a Patient Administrator. :)

Yes, "Romance and Cigarettes" was supposed to be released in the US August 19th. The exact reason for the delay wasn't given except to say it would instead be premiering in the Venice and Toronto Film festivals (good promotion) which were both held in the past couple of weeks. No official US release date has been announced as of yet. No official site or trailer as of yet either.

Amazing cast consisting of James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Mandy Moore, Christopher Walken, Steve Buscemi and Kate Winslet among others and directed by John Turturro.
Oh, well close enough. If we ever have a question for a doctor, we'll ask you. :)