a) cold openers and
b) during the actual episodes?

admin

Retired Administrator
Amigo22 said:
What do you guys think the best moments of MITM have been for

a) cold openers and
b) during the actual episodes?
hmm, best cold opener I think for me would be photography scene, when the entire family go to have their picture taken. Its absouletely hilarious how they pull themselves together for a split second before bickering at each other again.

best actual episode moment would have to be when we find out what Hal has been doing on Fridays for the past 13 years!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
good question, I think one of the best plots that comes to mind is in "Long Drive" when Hal and his group are singing, and Dewey asks rhetorical questions that eventually tears up the group.

Cold opener, god, I don't know, there's been so many. Give us like ten choices or something, how are we supposed to choose from all hundred some ep's?

tiny_star_5

Best cold openers would be the "Dinner Out" one when they're playing baseball in the house, "Red Dress" one, classic, "Zoo" one when they're playing football in the house, on the house, and through the house lol. Oh boy there's so many but those are the ones I'm thinking about right now. Ill probably be back with more. I don't know my favorite moments during an episode theres so many I'll probably say some later.

SykoNachoman

During the episodes:
- Cleaning up the house, then filling it with dirt again (Home Alone 4)
- The clown fight (Lois' Birthday)
- Reese driving the car through the obstacle course (Reese Drives)
- Lois knocking down all the toys/Legos (High School Play)
- The car smashing scene (Hal's Christmas Gift)
- A lot of others I can't remember right now...

Cold Opens:
- Grandma Sues (the Peanuts football joke)
- Zoo (playing ball in/on/through house)
- Most of the ones in Clip Show. Did anyone else notice that all of the clips in that episode (except one) are cold opens?

arach

SykoNachoman said:

I have to agree with you there, and add a few more:
- The bully who gets pudding in his face while trying to hit Malcolm in the Pilot
- Lois punishing the boys in 102 Red Dress
- In 103 Home alone 4, the flashbacks at the hospital where we see how often and in which ways the boys hurt themselves and each other
- The boys using the slingshot in 202 - Halloween approximately
- The golf car action in 403 - Family Reunion
- Hal's Lucky Aide rebellion in 502 - Watching the Baby
- Hal in the bomb squad in 521 - Reese joines the army
- Dewey's table dance in 116 - Water Park

and many many more that I don't remember now.^^

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
arach said:
I have to agree with you there, and add a few more:
- The bully who gets pudding in his face while trying to hit Malcolm in the Pilot
- Lois punishing the boys in 102 Red Dress
- In 103 Home alone 4, the flashbacks at the hospital where we see how often and in which ways the boys hurt themselves and each other
- The boys using the slingshot in 202 - Halloween approximately
- The golf car action in 403 - Family Reunion
- Hal's Lucky Aide rebellion in 502 - Watching the Baby
- Hal in the bomb squad in 521 - Reese joines the army
- Dewey's table dance in 116 - Water Park

and many many more that I don't remember now.^^
the bomb squad bit was amense (bryan is so funny)

allison

SykoNachoman said:
During the episodes:
- The clown fight (Lois' Birthday)
- The car smashing scene (Hal's Christmas Gift)
- A lot of others I can't remember right now...

Cold Opens:
- Grandma Sues (the Peanuts football joke)
- Zoo (playing ball in/on/through house)
- Most of the ones in Clip Show. Did anyone else notice that all of the clips in that episode (except one) are cold opens?

Yeah I realized it, too.
I also go with Reese driving the car through the obstacle course and the clown fight as two of my favourite scenes.
Some other scenes I really liked were:

-The end of "Reese comes home" when Dewey and Malcolm thought about all the things Reese had done
-when Reese watched Dewey hitting the boys with the purse, put his hand on Dewey´s shoulder, said "nice" and they both walked home (Old Mrs Old)
-When Lois´ father gave Reese the granate which was about to explode and Malcolm put it into the refridgerator
-When Malcolm and Reese were chased by the security guard (Carnival, the whole episode was great)
-The end of Flashback: when Reese took Francis´sandwich and they all got into a fight and Hal and Lois were watching them from the outside
-when Malcolm, Dewey and Reese did their "stunt" in the end of Lois´makeover
-when Malcolm and Reese had to wear dresses and write essays (Dewey´s dog)
-when Malcolm, Dewey, Reese and Stevie walked through the sewer and Reese kept talking about Stevie´s mom (Jury duty)
-when Malcolm and Dewey were in the tiger cage and Malcolm said "superman isn´t going to fly here and save us" and the next moment Reese threw the goat into the cage. That was funny:D
-When Hal said that Reese has to help him because he is his guy and Reese realized that he had done something wrong (Hal sleepwalks)

I think that´s enough. Although there are surely lots of other great scenes I didn´t mention now. ;)

Some of my favourite cold openers were from
-red dress
-halloween approximately (when Malcolm and Reese dared each other to eat spoiled food from the refridgerator)
-carnival (when Malcolm and Reese made Hal believe that he had overslept)
-flasback (when Malcolm and Reese always made Dewey get the ball but didn´t let him play with them)
-Malcolm´s girlfriend (when they made Reese walk naked across the street and he was chased by a dog)
-Reese´s job (Hal danced in front of the mirror while Lois´was in the tub)
-monkey
-zoo
-stupid girl
-grandma sues

Again there are a lot more, but I can´t write down all of them. :D

Squeaky Yugi

Cold opener:

Hal eats the spoiled grapefruit thinking it to be a brownie "Malcolm visists college"

Shows:

Dewey does his "Poopy poopy poopy" dance in "Convention"

Dewey's flashback to what happened in the car in "Traffic Ticket"

Dewey going "Oooweeee ooooweeee" along with the police car in "Traffic Ticket"

Young Reese beats up his robot in "Yard Sale"

Lois and Hal share the last sausage in "Block Party"

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Squeaky Yugi said:
Cold opener:

Hal eats the spoiled grapefruit thinking it to be a brownie "Malcolm visists college"

Shows:

Dewey does his "Poopy poopy poopy" dance in "Convention"

Dewey's flashback to what happened in the car in "Traffic Ticket"

Dewey going "Oooweeee ooooweeee" along with the police car in "Traffic Ticket"

Young Reese beats up his robot in "Yard Sale"

Lois and Hal share the last sausage in "Block Party"
Poopy-poopy is the best.

I don't think I could choose the best moments. There's so many, it would be easier to choose the worst.

allison

So what would be the worst moment for you?;)

I just can think of the moment when Malcolm was hiding under Samantha´s bed and Reese discovered him. I think it was kind of sad that he did something like this to his brother. And also the Hal plot was a bit depressing. Though I actually liked these 2 episodes (Reese joins the army 1+2) I think they were a bit different from the other episodes and a bit "darker".

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yeah, I enjoyed the Reese Joins the Army miniseries, but golly, that was dramatic!; not funny.

I'm not sure what the worst moment is for me. Probably the fishing scene in Houseboat. That whole ep was just kinda blah. And far too much sex. Thank goodness the rest of season three was much better.

allison

You´re right, I didn´t hate the Houseboat episode but for some reason I really disliked the scene where one of the girls took off the other girl´s bra. There´s really a bit too much sex in this episode, it´s never been like this before or afterwards.

FrankieROCKS

well this is my very first post on this forum but im a long time MITM Fanatic so hello. My names Adam.
anyway. fav cold opener right at this moment would be when hal is lying in bed and he hears the fire alarm go beap beap beap. so he gets up and goes and trys to reach it but cant, turns around, grabs a stool and swings it and smashes the alarm from the ceiling. Then casualy puts the stole down and goes back to bed.
Im still working on my absolute fav scene in an ep. so ill get back to you guys on that.

daniel1985

There are so many great episode moments, and I can't name them all so I'm just going to name my three favourite from the new series.

1. Lois' car fight (Hal's Christmas Gift)
  2. Reese and Malcolm dancing to Abba (Pearl Harbor)
  3. Hal and Lois' operatic argument (Dewey's Opera)

Dewey

Minimalistic
robert said:
My best moment was in red dress when Lois made the boys listen to baby music.
Is it just me, or does that music have a distinct similarity to the singing voices of They Might Be Giants? I'm guessing that it was recorded specially for the show, because its not on any of their albums that I am aware of. Although if it was, I don't think anyone could listen to it and enjoy it with any seriousness.

On the subject of TMBG, has anyone else seen the video for 'The Boss of Me'? I've only seen it once by accident on MTV2. I remember that it featured Dewey quite prominently. I'd like to see it again. If they ever do release a season 2 DVD box set, it should feature that music video.