Watching the Baby

yardgames

Retired Administrator
This is the third rant I've read from you now, Dewey, and I want to ask you a question. In each rant, you seem to, well, rant. You look less at the episode at hand and more at how the writers butchered what could have been a good episode. You're obviously a fan because you watch these ep's and talk about them, but my question for you is this: why do you like Malcolm in the Middle?

admin

Retired Administrator
Firstly I would argue that Dewey was actually telling a story to Jamie, his new brother. We must remember that Dewey has been the youngest for many years now and got all the attention, when you no longer receive that attention you can start to get jealous at the "thing" that now is. This you may remember is why he dresses up in a baby suit and does a rather embarassing thing in a later episode. He is still quite young in this episode at 11/12 I guess so I wouldn't expect him to know what his parents were doing in his room and even if he did you wouldn't expect him to tell a bed time story about something like that to a baby :D

Personally I think it was just a made up on the spot bed time story for Jamie.

I really enjoyed the chasing Craig around a supermarket, it was one of the finest MITM moments in my opinion and gave light to a rather dull episode.

This wasn't one of my favourite episode to be honest, so I can't defend it too much, I do agree with you though in some respects - too much time was spent on the DeweyJamie storyline and not enough on the Hal/Lucky Aide storyline which could have been a lot better

We must remember though MITM is a sitcom, we can't expect it to go into thinks particulary deep and meaningfully :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Darn, I thought I used the word rant too much. I enjoy reading them, I was just questioning why you like MITM, since you seem to post negatively about the eps you've started a discussion for. It's by no means that I don't think it's interesting; the Freuidan theories were top-notch.

admin

Retired Administrator
Don't stop Dewey, I really enjoy reading them - its good to see some really outstanding posts being written every now and then :D

arach

I don't want to comment your whole essay, because I didn't like the Dewey part of that episode. It was really poor, not interesting at all, neither cute nor amusing. And what the hell was that "joke" about the never-worn pants? Should that be funny?

Anyway, there is something in your post I can totally NOT agree with:

Dewey said:
Watching the Baby
I say “would have been ironic” as these scenes were based around cheap laughs. I mean, chasing a man around a supermarket to the audio pain of Phil Collins was at best mediocre and uninspired.
This is one of my favourite Hal scenes. If I should discribe the character Hal in just one scene, I would pick that one. This totally childish, senseless behaviour just fits to his person. (And it was totally funny when that guy fell from the ladder when he tried to climb into Craigs office. :D)
I know that stuff like the kooky sussussudio scene isn't everyones business, but sometimes you just have to enjoy clownishly jokes.

PS: Dewey, are you sure you aren't appanah?
He always tried to force a deeper meaning into episodes too. :rolleyes:

I dont think you should stop dewey, I think you are starting some great discussions in the forums- possibly slightly reduce the length of what you say-lol (thats just my laziness though:D ) I personally like to argue and feel that through these discussions we are able to look for greater depth to mitm- and luckily as of yet no one has been clutching at straws:D

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I agree with everyone else who said they loved the scene of the revolt starting to the sounds of Phil Collins. First of all, the set up for it was hilarious: "And he always plays show tunes even though we agreed unanimously on adult contemporary!" The wording and delivery were fabulous. Then, the sound of the music switching, the sound of impending doom, and the employees marching, Hal with mop in hand. Brilliant. Just brilliant. The song choice was perfect. A perfect example of the "adult contemporary" mentioned. I hadn't heard that song in years. It was so random, and great.

Oh, and a wheelchair ramp not being the right incline is a pretty big deal. It's illegal.

Dewey

Minimalistic
yardgames said:
It took some time to read all those links, but i know what you mean, its all inspiring and thought provoking stuff.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I would love to see your thoughts on the Stilts episode. As a community,we agreed it was pretty much the best episode of season six. Tell us what you think.

Dewey

Minimalistic
yardgames said:
but my question for you is this: why do you like Malcolm in the Middle?
Thats not the question I was expecting you to ask.
I sense a bit of negativity here. Is it because i have been somewhat negative in my recent reviews?

To try and justify that - i have to say that they are only my opinions which are always going to be subjective - and i want to encourage a debate in the best means possible. I mean, what kind of debate would we have if we all agreed with each other all the time. I think Arach may have realised this.

My attempt to justify the weakest elements of this episode whilst at the same time commenting negatively on the only good part was a deliberate move...although Phil Collins - ewww!