Which character was most...

arach

ATTENTION: This may take some time. ;)

After 6 Seasons of Malcolm in the Middle, viewers and fans made up their opinions about the several characters in the show. I wondered what YOU all think about them, so I had to think of a way to get useful information out of you but without letting you all write essays about every single character of the show. (Of course you can do that if you want, would surely be very interesting! :D)

I made up a list of adjectives and now i want to know which one of the characters do you think fits to them the most.

So here's the list:

Which character do you think was most...

sympathetic
liked
funny
weird
nice
mean
caring
intelligent
disgusting
hated
cute
childish
stupid
underestimated
clever
unlikable / unpleasant
annoying
bossy
mediocre / dull
beautiful / handsome
ugly / unattractive
selfish
cool

Of course the list of adjectives goes on. If you can think of any other important ones that I could add, please PM me and I will add them. :)

PLEASE NOTE -> It would be very useful if you would add a reason to some of the adjectives. This should not be a fill-in exercise. This thread only makes sense if you can explain why you think Hal is the most intelligent character in the show. Of course you don't have to explain why you think Dewey is the cutest or Reese the most handsome. But some of the adjectives aren't that clear, so please explain your choices. :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Holy balls, you're asking a lot of us here, arach....

sympathetic-Dewey. He seems to care about everyone and anyone, maybe with the exception of his brothers sometimes, and about their problems.
liked-Dewey. Who doesn't like sweet little Dewey?
funny-Hal and his obsessions.
weird-Hal and his obsessions.
nice-that's a crappy adjective. Nice could really mean a variety of things, and it's really an arbitrary word. Anyone can be "nice" in some way, but how would you go about defining it?
mean-another arbitrary word, basically the opposite of nice. Therefore, the opposite character is meaning. So hypothetically, if Hal is nice, then Lois is mean.
caring-the Wilkerson Family. They might be dysfunctional in some ways, but at the end of the day, they care for each other deeply. e.g. driving the golf cart into the pool; Ida saving Dewey; Reese beating up bullies for Malcolm, the list goes on...
intelligent-Malcolm. Duh, his IQ is 165.
disgusting-Herkabe. The way he manipulates Malcolm is disgusting.
hated-Lately, it's been Malcolm. You want to know why, but I can't really tell you. I wish I could, everyone seems to hate him so much lately, it's a bit depressing.
cute-Cynthia. Come on, weren't her breasts pretty?
childish-Reese doesn't have a worry in the world except beating people up and enjoying life.
stupid-Reese. Again, duh.
underestimated-Reese. He might be stupid, but he sure can cook, and if he can apply himself, he could do well in school. (e.g. Buseys Take a Hostage)
clever-Lois wins on this front. She always has a way to get the boys to do what they're supposed to do and punish them when they don't.
unlikable / unpleasant-pretty much synonymous with hated.
annoying-Nikki.
bossy-Cynthia.
mediocre / dull-Lavernia. I don't know, her eps didn't really make me hate her, I just got bored with her.
beautiful / handsome-Lois--just look at the way she dances in Poker.
ugly / unattractive-Grandma Ida.
selfish-Grandma Ida.
cool-Otto. Otto basically gave Francis anything he wanted/needed, and was always an extremely nice person, who was there when Francis needed something work-related or personal-related.

I didn't give a reason for all of them, I think some are self-explanatory, but that's hwo I would answer them.

allison

sympathetic: Reese, because after all he´s got a big heart. He just pretends to be mean (well sometimes he really is:D) but whenever he does something nice he is honest and doesn´t only do it to make people think he´s nice (does that make sense)?

liked: I don´t know. Maybe it´s Dewey.

funny: I can´t tell, depends on the episode. Dewey used to be funny, but as I said I don´t think he still is. Hal can be pretty funny, but I think it´s Reese, Craig or Ida

weird: Hal and Dewey

nice: I don´t know, I think everyone on the show can be really mean, but also pretty nice.

caring: As yardgames said everyone is caring in his/her own special way. Maybe it´s Lois because she does a lot of things just to "protect" (or whatever it is supposed to be) her boys.

intelligent: Malcolm

disgusting: I don´t know. Maybe the girls in the limo (Watching the baby)

hated: I agree that it seems like Malcolm became a pretty hated character. Though hated is a very strong word. Ida is pretty hated. None really likes her and everyone is glad when she´s gone.

cute: Reese ;):D Dewey was cute when he was younger, but now I really don´t consider him cute.

childish: I guess it´s Reese. He always has these silly ideas and he really appears carefree (lucky him)

stupid: Of course everyone says Reese here because he´s supposed to be the stupid bully in a way. Though I think he can be smart I think he´s still the most stupid person in his family.

underestimated: Since his family finally knows about Dewey´s music talent I´d say it´s Reese. He can do so many things if he just tries.

clever: Hard to say. Of course Malcolm is clever, but also his brothers come up with some clever ideas from time to time. Lois is clever, too, and since she almost never gets outsmarted I´d say it´s probably her.

unlikable/unpleasant: Lavernia. Most characters on the show who are mean are still funny. But Lavernia was just a pain in the a** :D

annoying: Nicki, Otto

bossy: Lois, Cynthia, Nicki

mediocre/dull: Otto. Though I didn´t dislike him as a person his storylines at the ranch were so annoying and dull I sometimes even changed the channel

beautiful/handsome: beautiful: Though I really disliked the characters I think that girl from Bowling and Nicki were quite beautiful. And even Cynthia doesn´t look so bad if she doesn´t have a weird hairstyle.
handsome: Francis, Reese

ugly/unattractive: Lavernia

selfish: Lavernia. I´d say Ida, but since she saved Dewey from the truck I don´t think she´s THAT selfish

cool: I don´t know. What´s your defintion of cool?

Malcolm

sympathetic- I guess that would be Otto. He is always willing to make people happy, no matter what.

liked- Perhaps Dewey

funny- The entire family.

weird- Dewey. But Hal and Craig are very weird too.

nice- Once again, what do you mean?

mean- Ida, without a doubt. But Herkabe can be very mean sometimes. Lavernia too.

caring- Lois. She really cares about her family, no matter what.

intelligent- Malcolm. Dewey seems to be extremely intelligent as well

disgusting- Lavernia. She is the most horrible woman I have ever seen. Sometimes, Ida and Herkabe can be disgusting too.

hated- Lately, Malcolm. However, it seems nobody likes Craig.

cute- Do you mean cute as beautiful or cute as a stuffed animal? If the last, that would be younger Dewey. If the first, I dunno, but I guess some of the many girls in the show...

childish- Hal and sometimes Craig.

stupid- Reese. But maybe Richie and his friends are even more stupid. Yeah, I think Reese is not such an idiot as people thinks. That guy from "Malcolm's job" was very stupid, too. But hey, the show is filled with stupid people!

underestimated- Probably Reese.

clever- Malcolm and Lois.

unlikable / unpleasant- Ida (but she is so unlikable that she is funny, you know what I mean). I dont like Richie or Lavernia, either.

annoying- I dunno...

bossy- Lois, of course.

mediocre / dull- Craig.

beautiful / handsome- I dunno, maybe Lois...

ugly / unattractive- Ida, Lavernia, Mrs Gryffin from Old mrs Old.

selfish- Probably Ida

cool- I think Francis is cool.

arach

sympathetic - Dewey, Otto and Gretchen

liked -
Francis from his brothers, Dewey from his parents.

funny -
Hal. His crazy madness attacks are so hilarious! He is so stupid sometimes... how he educates his children... he can't really do it right because he's still like a little kid himself.

weird - There was a time when it was Dewey. Season 2-4. That was pretty cool. Now it would be Hal, but Hal is not seriously weird, he is weird in a funny way. He has his own weird behaviour sometimes, but I wouldn't say he is completely weird.

nice - Otto and Gretchen. They are just nice.

mean - Mister Herkabe that must be.

caring - Lois. Although her methods are controversial :D She takes care about her family.

intelligent - Malcolm? 'Course, in a mathematical way. But Dewey wins in real life intelligence. His plans always work, he kind of always does what he wants and gets through with it. He takes advantage of being the little kid and not being noticed. He does stuff in the background.That's his own freedom.

disgusting - Craig. I don't like him. He sometimes disgust me.

hated - Malcolm .. not really hated, but he surely isn't liked anymore like he was in earlier seasons.

cute - Little Dewey is so cute!

childish - Hal of course! He is like the 6th kid Lois has to raise.

stupid - Reese...

underestimated - Dewey always was underestimated. But in his little head there is a clever brain. :D

clever - Dewey (same reasons as in "intelligent"); Lois because she always outsmarts the boys so that they do what she wants. She wins everytime she competes with anybody.

unlikable / unpleasant - Ida, Herkabe, Probably Richie

annoying -
Malcolm. A whiny little loudmouth.

bossy - Lois of course!

mediocre / dull - Jamie (pretty boring baby), Malcolm's teacher Miss... how was her name?

beautiful / handsome
- That girl from "Convention".

ugly / unattractive - Lavernia, Ida, Craig, the list goes on...

selfish - i dont know

cool
- Francis.

Wemboy

Sympathetic: Malcolm, in the early series' we feel sympathetic FOR Malcolm because as an audience we feel everything he goes through due to his close interaction with the camera, this obviously wears off a bit in later seasons. In terms of a character who HAS sympathy for the other characters i guess Dewey tends to come across as a caring type, but there are exceptions to this rule, no doubt.
Liked: Francis, i've found this the hardest one to decide on as there aren't many characters in the show who could be classed as friends of the family members in the traditional sense of the word. They all seem to struggle to fit in, Malcolm with the Krelboynes, Hal with his poker buddies, and Reese with anyone, but Francis seems the best at making friends naturally, wherever he goes.
Funny: Hal, no contest, he just seems to approach life in a different way to most other people, and consequently he always seems to be in funny situations.
Weird: Hal, in fact i suppose this is one reason for him being the funniest, but i use the word "weird" in a good way, not being derogatory.
Nice: Hal, i know this is getting a bit dull, but that's how i feel, i just think if everyone approached life by saying, "what would Hal do in this situation?" we'd live in a much better world!:D
Mean: Ida, everything she does seems geared towards upsetting the other characters in some way, and she does virtually nothing to redeem herself.
Caring: The Wilkersons, i know that's copying from Yardgames but it's true that although they have they're problems, they all look out for each other when they have to.
Intelligent: Malcolm, academically speaking of course, but i'd also have to mention Lois because i think she has a very down to earth, practical mind.
Disgusting: Reese, i can't get over him stealing Malcolm's toothbrush in season 1!
Hated: Ida, nobody's ever pleased to see her, and who can blame them?
Cute: Jamie, i've not seem much of him, but that was really sweet when he had a crush on the girl across the street!
Stupid: Richie, he's just dumb as you like, whereas i think Reese is...
Underestimated: He shows occasional flashes of intelligence and i think he's just got to find something he's good at and enjoys (like cooking) and he'll become successful.
Childish: Hal, the way he becomes obssessed with the dominoes, or the steamroller show a childlike aspect to his character. I don't think this is neccessarily a bad thing, better than getting too focused on work, or worrying about money etc.
Clever: This has to be Lois, for the same reason i included her in "intelligent".
Unlikable/Unpleasant: Lois' boss when Dewey steals the liquor, he fits the definition of unpleasant, smarmy and full of himself, a real creep.
Annoying: Cynthia, although at heart i think she's a very decent person, it's just that her voice, mannerisms etc. would be very off-putting if one had to actually deal with her in person.
Bossy: Dewey, given half a chance, like when he gets his dog, he can be a real control freak.
Mediocre/Dull: Gretchen and Otto, i really didn't like this stroyline, not up to scratch with the rest of the show in my view.
Beautiful/Handsome: Malcolm/Frankie, i guess the character himself is less attractive due to his temperament, but it's kind of hard to separate the two, many would say Reese/Justin, but personally i disagree.
Ugly/Unattractive: Ida, Craig (mainly due to his creepiness aswell as his looks), Lavernia, all the Krelboynes, that weird old guy from Alaska, loads really. Perhaps i'm judging a bit too much on looks here when the attractiveness of their actual character (inside) would be more important, in which case i wouldn't include the Krelboynes.
Selfish: Malcolm, although i don't think he should be condemned too much for this, after all he struggles with a lot of emotional issues, so he's bound to come across as somewhat selfish. What i mean is i don't think he is selfish in a malicious way.
Cool:Hal, sorry but i just think the guys a legend!:D

Jimmy Junior

sympathetic - Otto because he realised Francis' mistakes but still realised he was
good at other things.
liked - Francis, becuase he has the most friends.
funny - Definately Hal, because of his hilarious facial expressions
weird - A while ago I would have said Dewy, but now it's probably Reese because he
hangs out with dogs. Maybe the ginger busey kid with boxing gloves, but I
suspect he's faking it.
nice - Malcolm's teacher before he got Herkabe (forgotten her name).
mean - Herkabe
caring - Again, Malcolm's old teacher becuase she paid his medical bill so that his
parents wouldn't find out.
intelligent - Malcolm, obviously
disgusting - Circus, because he ate a dog food sandwich
hated - Lois, because she's the unpopular parent.
cute - Alison
childish - for his age, that would be Hal, becuase he's too chicken to admit to Lois
when he's done something bad and gets the boys to cover for him. And the
steamroller incident.
stupid - Reese.
underestimated - Dewey, becuase of his (until recently, unrecognised) piano playing
and basketball skills.
clever - Possibly Reese, because he came up with loads of fun games, and devised
the garbage truck prank (just bad luck it didn't work out).
unlikable / unpleasant - Jerkabe (see above).
annoying - Cynthia because she's just irritating and I can't stand her voice.
bossy - Lois because she 'rules the roost'.
mediocre / dull - Eric, because he's always moaning about stuff.
beautiful / handsome - possibly Reese?
ugly / unattractive - Cynthia - she mings, and probably smells.
selfish - Malcolm, but possible Herkabe.
cool - Hal - he's got childish desires but the means to fulfill them.

* Choices subject to change.

willdubbs

sympathetic-Definitely Dewey! He's incridibly sympathetic, he's nice with everybody (except Malcolm and Reese but that's normal) like Craig (Reese's party) or Gretchen (boys at ranch) and the Buseys of course. He always ready to help them and to be friendly with everybody. He never makes fun of anybody and more he never complains.

liked-That depends by who. Dewey is very liked by the Buseys and a lots of people but Reese seems to be the favourite character of the fans.

funny-Reese, probably. Everytime there's something silly to say he says it and everytime there's something mean to do, he does it. Dewey is also very funny when he manipulates or gets revenge on somebody.

weird-Hal is very weird because he can't control himself. He can't help playing the fool, sometimes he's like a sixth child. Dewey seemed to be weird before but in fact he was just a very naive and credulous little boy, so he wasn't that weird.

mean-Ida who insults and sues her daughter. She's really a terrible woman. Lavernia was mean too, Francis had to work like a prisonner for her and for nothing. I think Spangler was more sadistic than mean.

intelligent-Malcolm of course, the brillant genius. Dewey is also very intelligent, because he's cunning and talented. He seems to teach the Buseys. And Reese looks stupid at first sight but in fact he's also very intelligent, because he learned to cook and to drive very fast and he can succeed when he wants to. Reese has a smartness that he probably spoiled though the years by being always absent minded and by not working at school.

hated-Lavernia, who couldn't hate that woman?

cute-Dewey. He's absolutely adorable. He's the most touching character. He was so cute when he danced on the kitchen table or when he took care of Tony the fly and when he felt bad when Lois figured out that he was seeing an other mom and so many others.

childish-Hal often looks childish, he's like a child who plays the fool when his parents are away (like in Boots and bees or Hal's friend)

stupid-Alison, like I said Reese is not really stupid, but Alison is!

underestimated-Dewey at first, because nobody noticed how much he's smart. Today, Reese, because he is thought to be an idiot whereas he's not.

clever-Dewey

unlikable / unpleasant-Reese and his bad tricks.

annoying-Malcolm, because he's too pessimistic and he complains endlessly.

bossy-Lois, she's obliged to prevent the boys from playing the fool.

beautiful / handsome-Alison, she's stupid but beautiful to me.

ugly / unattractive-Lavernia, that witch is as nasty as she's ugly.

Emrysgirl

sympathetic - Dewey. See Ida's dance and reasons above.

liked - Francis. Again, see reasons above.

funny - I know it's a weird answer, but...Malcolm. A someone watching the show, I find that the comedy is derived more from the situations than the characters. So I'm acting as if I were in the show, or as if they were real. As people, Lois, Dewey and Francis are not funny. I'd be terrified to be near Reese or Hal for too long. And, even though I'm bad at picking up on it, I find sarcasm hilarious. I'd love Malcolm's snide remarks (as long as they weren't directed at me of course)

weird - Dewey in seasons 1 and 2. Hal later on.

nice - Otto and Gretchen. See reasons above.

mean - don't know. Most of the "mean" people in the show are just bitter. Maybe Reese's girlfriend in the Army eps.

caring
- Caroline Miller is the word is taken to mean nurturing/considerate. Lois is it is taken to mean 'one who takes care of you'. She does a lot for the family.

intelligent - Malcolm, w/o a doubt. No, wait, Kevin - from Reese's job.

disgusting - Reese. Come on, movies with real dead bodies, SKIN SUITS?

hated - Ida. See above.

cute - Dewey in the first few seasons. Jamie's not that cute. He's definitely not ugly. He's just normal, baby cute. Dewey in the first few seasons was REALLY adorable.

childish - Hal. See above.

stupid - George from Company Picnic.

underestimated - Reese. I know this looks like it conflicts with my other posts (from the Reese, stupid or not? thread), but it doesn't. While Reese IS stupid, it doesn't make him incompetant in any area. And the family often assumes he is.

clever - Lois. Dewey's got potential, but he's not there yet.

unlikable / unpleasant - Craig. He's so pesky.

annoying - I don't find any of the characters anoying. So I'll go with 'to the people in the show'. One of the Krelboynes. Can't decide which one.

bossy - There's a lot of those. Ida. Lois. Lavernia. i'm sure there's more.

mediocre / dull - not sure. Maybe Otto and Gretchen.

beautiful / handsome - I don't know, Francis. Or, Heidi Klum before she opned her mouth:D (unintented smilie joke).

ugly / unattractive - Craig. I find Craig REALLY REALLY ugly. Almost 'change the channel' ugly.

selfish - Herkabe. Malcolm isn't selfsh, just self-centered.

cool - Francis. Both according to me and in the show.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
sympathetic- Hal, he the nice guy

liked- Dewey

funny- Reese, always geting into trouble

weird- Chad

nice- Hal, see sympathetic

mean- Lois

caring- Francis, he took in that piglet, and cared for it

intelligent- Malcolm school/Dewey music

disgusting- Lavernia, reuse greese that's all ready be used for a couple months, no way

hated- Grandma Ida, no one likes her

cute- Dewey

childish- Hal, filling in spaces in the encyclopedia, bee shooting robot, ect.

stupid- Reese... not sure way, he is stupid in a lot of ways, but smart in some

underestimated- Reese, cooking is a good example here, and to the one above this one

clever- Francis, he gets in trouble, then gets out of it

unlikable / unpleasant- Grandma Ida

annoying- Malcolm, whine, whine, complain.

bossy- Lois, see expets everything to be perfect, that's not possible with Reese and Hal.

mediocre / dull- no one I can think of

beautiful / handsome- according to the beautiful handbook in "Ms. Tri-County" Reese is beautiful

ugly / unattractive- tie between old, fat Craig and Lavernia (he's less ugly, but still ugly, thinner)

selfish- Malcolm, he only cares for himself

cool- Dewey, he's cute cool

texanchic19

liked- I would have to say....Dewey
funny-I think Hal and Reese are funny
weird-Dabney freaks me out alot
nice-Dewey would fit this description perfectly
mean-OHH! this is definitly Lois
caring-ummm...craig
intelligent-I would say malcolm
disgusting-Malcolm
hated-I think malcolm
cute-definitly reese and dewey
childish-reese
stupid-reese
underestimated-Reese and Dewey
clever-Reese
unlikable / unpleasant-Ida
annoying-malcolm
bossy-Lois
mediocre / dull-Malcolm
beautiful / handsome-Reese, Dewey, Francis, Piama, and Lois
ugly / unattractive-Cynthia
selfish-Ida
cool-

packer-backer

sympathetic:Dewey

liked:dewey: in chads sleepover we find out that malcolm and reese are not likes and everybody likes Dewey

funny: Dewey and Reese

weird: Dewey: in the first season

nice: Hal

mean: lois

caring: Ida lol joking Dewey

intelligent: malcolm

disgusting: dewey in the first season

hated: Ida

cute: Dewey

childish: reese

stupid: Reese

underestimated: reese

clever: theyre all clever but in different things than others

unlikable: Ida

annoying: Stevie the voice was cool in the first couple seasons than it just got annoying.

bossy: Lois

mediocre: reese

Beautiful: im a guy and i really cant think of any hot girls on the show so ill skip this one

ugly: the babysitter in Stereo store, or at least her hair

selfish: ida

cool: Dewey

Alle

Had to make one of my own.

Sympathetic: Originally Dewey. He was the family underdog for much of his early childhood. Otto Mankusser as well. For he accepted you know matter what your faults were. But clearly snapped when Francis transferred, accidently, all the Grotto's profits to an A.T.M.

Liked: Dewey. His evolution in character was one of the main reasons why I started watching the show actively again since Season Five.

Funny: They're all funny in their own way.

Weird: Dewey when he was a nipper. The Busey's and the Krelboynes are a mad bunch as well.

Nice: Hmmm? Caroline Miller? Malcolm's old teacher. Also Abe and Kitty Kenarban, before their break-up.

Mean: Ida, a demon in human form. Lionel Herkabe, a nerd-bully hybrid. Lois, the family drill-sergeant. Reese, school-bully extraordinaire. Edwin Spangler, a man who served his country honourably by terrorising teenagers. His wounds, humorously received through various accidents. Hal, when it comes to playing sports with his own children.

Caring: Caroline Miller, for Malcolm. Dewey, for Jamie, occasionally for the rest of his family and for his Busey classmates. Stevie, for Malcolm. And Hal and Lois, for each other.

Intelligent: Dewey, beyond a shadow of a doubt the true genius in the family. And then Lois, Jamie, and Malcolm.

Disgusting: Hmmm?..... Reese? Ida?

Hated: I don't anyone in the series. But within the Wilkerson household, Ida is the Devil.

Cute: Dewey when he was little. But at fifteen, Erik Per Sullivan is too old for someone like myself to consider cute. So I think Jamie.

Childish: Hal, most of the time. Reese still acted pretty childlike. Lois and Francis during their disputes. Maybe Craig as well.

Stupid: Reese. Need I say why? And Malcolm, when it comes to money.

Underestimated: Originally Dewey, to everyone elses cost.

Clever: Dewey, the patron saint of cleverness. Then Lois, Jamie, Jessica. Even Hal, Malcolm, Reese and Francis during more inspired moments.

Unlikable: Herkabe. And maybe some one-shot characters that have appeared over the years.

Annoying: I admit, I used to find Malcolm's bitching a bit tiresome.

Bossy: Lois.

Beautiful/Hansome: No comment.

Ugly: Erm....Lavernia?

Mediocre/Dull: Can't say.

Selfish: Take your pick.

Cool: Dewey, The Messiah.:thumbup1:

Last edited:

dento

sympathetic - none
liked - malcolm for me
funny - malcolm?
weird - reese
nice - caroline
mean - ida
caring - everyone?
intelligent - malcolm
disgusting - craig, hal
hated - none
cute - alison
childish - hal
stupid - reese
underestimated - dewey
clever - jessica
unlikable / unpleasant - craig, lavernia
annoying - hal - especially his gimmicks like the steamroller, about to spend malcolm's money for a boat etc.
bossy - lois
mediocre / dull - otto, i usually skiip the ranch scenes, the poker players
beautiful / handsome - the babysitter in convention episode
ugly / unattractive - stevie, abe, jessica
selfish - dewey, he wanted a rolex
cool - none, all have their "uncool" moments

Last edited: