What do YOU do to save the planet?

admin

Retired Administrator
What do you guys do for the environment.

In our house we

• Recycle kitchen waste using a compost bin
  • Recycle glass bottles, plastic bottles, tins, cans at specilist dumping sites
  • Recycled paper goes to the Guinea Pigs and then to the waste paper lorry.
  • Old clothes go to a special textile bin
What do you or your country do, and do you feel they are doing enough?

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
We
  • Recycle kitchen waste using a compost bin
  • Recycle glass bottles, plastic bottles, tins, cans at specilist dumping sites
  • Recycle paper
  • Old clothes go to a special textile bin
  • Give empty batteries back to the shops

yardgames

Retired Administrator
What in the world is a "textile bin?" When we don't wear clothes in my house anymore, we just throw them in boxes and keep them in the basement until we get sick of looking at them, and then we move them to a different corner in the basement.

As you all stereotypically know, recycling is not a top priority in America. But believe it or not, we do do it! I live in a smaller suberb, so we just have #1 and #4 recycling. We assign numbers to different items so for example, #1 is tin cans. We have to take those to the can recycling place ourselves and get about 30 cents per can. #4 is your glass, plastic, that sort of thing. That we put at the end of the driveway with the waste and the garbage carriers take it away. We recycle paper, as well.

Funny story, actually, the garbage truck tipped over last week. I was riding home from school last week, and turning onto my block, I saw a cop car with flashing lights. It turned out the garbage truck driver had taken the turn a bit too fast. He went right off the oncoming traffic side of the road and flipped sideways in the ditch. There was garbage everywhere. It was actually rather funny.

arach

I don't know any people who don't separate their waste... shouldn't that be a normal thing to do? Everyone at least seperates paper, compost, glass and plastic.

I'm not really doing something for the environment, like planting a tree every day or paying for greenpeace (my sister does that, by the way), but I'm not doing much against it. I don't have a car, I use the public transports (busses that use electricity). I don't spit my chewing gum on the sidewalk or throw my McDonalds box on the street. But that are also things that should be normal.

But I don't do anything ACTIVE to save the planet. I could kill myself, that would be a start, because I think of mankind as a disease that has infected planet earth. I don't think we can stop the human race from exploiting earth. :Unsure:

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Every area in the US is different. Portland is well known as being a town filled with "hippy tree huggers" so it's pretty big on recycling. But some cities in the US don't recycle at all, which I think is absolutly disgusting and awful. I have a friend from Chicago, and he told me that they stopped recycling. Chicago is HUGE and they don't recycle! That's awful! He thought recycling is dumb. To me, throwing things in a dump that can be reused is dumb.

Anyway, I recycle plastics, paper, glass, and tin and aluminum cans. Old clothes go to Good Will.

Eco-Design has become very big in Oregon, which is basically using renewable and natural materials in decorating instead of synthetic ones. Like using bamboo or cork flooring.

I've also taken part in the Oregon beach clean-up several times. Oregon's coast is basically one big free state park. Twice a year hundreds of people go the the beach and pick up trash. It's pretty neat.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Wouldn't it be neater if there weren't trash that needed to be picked up twice a year? Who are the idiots who think that Earth is their garbage can?

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I try to recycle when ever I can. But my little section of New Jersey doesn't do that.

I did 8 school sponsored road clean-ups, and 2 for the state. I did the same last year also.

I earned the title "Mr. Enviroment" by my Student Council Advisor, but he had to give it up for "Mr. President" this school year.:D

Emrysgirl

Also live in the US, and not Portland, so, I don't do much.

• I keep school handouts etc and use the backs and then recycle them:).
  • When I'm at school I recycle aluminum and plastic. But our area doesn't have pick up...so not at home.
  • Old clothes are used for mopping and then thrown. If they are in good condition they go to Good Will or Charity Clothing.
  • I reuse plastic bags (many many times) and recycle them if possible (like at Schnucks etc)
Where was it recently that I read about the GR 'returning stuff back to the company' policy? Either somewhere on this site or on the ACT:confused:. India does that too, and I'm sure a lot of other countries, but not the US. When you buy sodas etc you pay twice the actual price and then when you return the empty bottle you get half the money you paid back (glass bottles of course:D).

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I was in Environmental Club in high school and for a fundraiser we collected paper that had been used on one side (mostly copies of things, teachers would often copy chapters out of books that school couldn't afford to buy enough of and hand then out to the whole class) and we used the paper to make notebooks which we sold for a couple bucks. We called then "eco-books". They were pretty neat.

Malcolm

For saving the planet? I dont know if it counts, but I sweared I would not kill any living creature again. That includes all kinds of insects and spiders. I dont kill even mosquitos, and you know mosquitos can be very annoying when they sleepover at your house.
And I never leave garbage in the street or the parks or places like that. You know, because garbage can kill Megan.

Kracken

ugh, I'm gross, I'll actually sort the trash at school that no one else will. Not the whole school's, just what's readily available. I'm quite the fanatic about respect for the beach, and get really aggravated at folks who insist on leaving their junk in the sand, mere feet from the water. Especially balloons. Don't people realize what those do to the fish and pelagic birds? So I guess I sometimes pick up after random morons. It's not as if there aren't trash cans about every ten feet in the sand for them to use! Okay. Rant over. :cool:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, it sounds like you win the prize for being the most Earth-friendly. Congratulations. Maybe if more people were like you, you wouldn't need to be so "gross".

Jimmy Junior

Kracken said:
ugh, I'm gross, I'll actually sort the trash at school that no one else will. Not the whole school's, just what's readily available. I'm quite the fanatic about respect for the beach, and get really aggravated at folks who insist on leaving their junk in the sand, mere feet from the water. Especially balloons. Don't people realize what those do to the fish and pelagic birds? So I guess I sometimes pick up after random morons. It's not as if there aren't trash cans about every ten feet in the sand for them to use! Okay. Rant over. :cool:
Sorry, that's just cunjoured up an image in my mind of you spending your lunch breaks rummaging through a big pile of rubbish like some kind of 'Stig' ;-D

Jimmy Junior

I've always recycled glass bottles because they make bin bags too heavy.
In Brighton most houses have a 'recycling box' (I've only just got one) which you simply dump all your recyclables in (plastic bottles, paper, cans, glass etc) and leave it out to be collected.
Where my Dad lives (Malvern, Worcestershire) they do the same but with a special purple bin bag. In Worcester city there was an article recently about the introduction of green wheelie bins with microchips in them which tell the council how much people are recycling; they have come up against severe criticism for 'Big-Brotherism'.

D

Deleted member 1693

Our school has compost bins and all of their utensils are made out of corn. I recycle whenever possible. And kind of like GKM, whenever I need a new notebook, I rummage through the paper and cardboard bins at my mom's office. Everything in there is really clean and useful. I donate way too many of my clothing items. I only have a few wearable shirts, jeans, and jackets, no shorts, dresses, or accessories (except for those old, old, heirlooms). And after I'm done using my toys (which I barely buy anymore anyway), I either donate them... Or take them apart. It's weird because I never know how to rewire them. I just like having the destroyed toy. o.o

yardgames

Retired Administrator
LOL define wearable. For me it's stuff I bought because I thought I'd like it but then I wear it once and decide I really don't like it so there it sits in my closet.

D

Deleted member 1693

Wearable is basically a pretty plain thing that doesn't match anything and has to be found under crappier clothes.