Crazy Hal?

admin

Retired Administrator
Did you guys see that coming in Chad's Sleepover, that Hal is infact crazy? Well at first I really didn't see it coming, but then I thought back over the seasons and there is really evidence of Hal's crazy side.

The most evidence is in "Bots and the Bees" when Lois leaves Hal for the weekend.

Firstly he builts a killer robot and fills it with bees - only someone crazy does that :D

But then the little things like thowing scissors at the ceiling and allowing them to rip open pillows besides you and having a discussion with all those personalities about what to do with the boys! :D

What other examples are there of Hal's craziness before he admits it to Dewey in Chad's Sleepover?

allison

I think another example for Hal´s craziness was the Bowling episode. Everything had to be exactly the same-including the unzipping of his fly.:D
The bots and the bees is a pretty good example, too. He becomes obsessive about almost everything he does. Just think of the "Stupid girl" episode where he didn´t sleep or go to work anymore because he was obsessed with his steamroller and became addicted to crushing things all the time.
There were so many times when he became obsessed with something or addicted to a new "hobby". And if he doesn´t, even his way to talk can be crazy. I actually don´t like it if Hal goes too crazy. I like it better when he is normal like in "Tutoring Reese" or Mini bike. I think he is pretty calm when he talks to Francis. When he´s with Lois he´s usually the immature and good natured one, but I think when he´s wih Francis he gives pretty reasonable advices. One of the few times I found him very funny when he went crazy was in the Bowling episode. That was just hilarious. :D

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
It was also nice when he painted that huge picture. That was awesome. Another example for his craziness is that episode, where he applies for a new job and then thinks, he might work as a spy now, and when he returns to the building where he applied, it's gone (don't remember the name of the episode)

admin

Retired Administrator
Dabney said:
It was also nice when he painted that huge picture. That was awesome. Another example for his craziness is that episode, where he applies for a new job and then thinks, he might work as a spy now, and when he returns to the building where he applied, it's gone (don't remember the name of the episode)

lol that episode was hilarious!

I've another example, before the eventually admitance to being crazy in Chad's Sleepover, you could see Hal doing exactly the same as Chad, as Chad sniffed a book and put it in a pile Hal would quickly go over, sniff it again and put it in "his" pile. Also with the vegetables on the table, Chad had his crazy way and Hal has his crazy way and neither one was going to let the other win! :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I disagree with you all. Hal is not "crazy." Occasionally, he becomes obsessive-compulsive, and he certainly isn't the stronger of the two parents in the household, but he definitely is not "crazy."

I think we can deduce Reese got his (lack of) brains from Hal. Lois, after all, is smart, albeit not necessarily book smart. Hal, on the other hand, is just sort of this dumb, obsessive-compulsive pet, for lack of a better word. Dewey has always wanted a dog (until Ida Loses a Leg) but really, he could use Hal.

It's not that Hal is crazy, it's that he's a bit obsessive-compulsive, and a bit lacking in his mental capacity occassionally.

ReMoss85

I think that by "crazy", what everyone means is obsessive compulsive. That's pretty much all that was revealed in Chad's Sleepover, yes? Maybe a fairly extreme case but not much more than that. Now it becomes a matter of opinion as to whether or not obsessive compulsive is considered crazy.
I also disagree that Hal is dumb. Remember all the stuff he was trying to teach Reese before Malcolm was born? And it was implied that Malcolm got so smart because of Hal. It would be funny though if Malcolm was a genius because of Hal's games and Reese was an idiot because of Hal's genes. And also, when Reese says something stupid, it's always obvious to Hal that it's stupid. I.E. "He has no more sense of right and wrong than a treefrog."

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder. OCD is manifested in a variety of forms, but is most commonly characterized by a subject's obsessive drive to perform a particular task or set of tasks, compulsions commonly termed rituals.

Crazy:
brainsick: affected with madness or insanity; "a man who had gone mad"
foolish; totally unsound; "an impractical solution"; "a crazy scheme"; "half-baked ideas"; "a screwball proposal without a prayer of working"
marked by foolish or unreasoning fondness; "she was crazy about him"; "gaga over the rock group's new album"; "he was infatuated with her"
possessed by inordinate excitement; "the crowd went crazy"; "was crazy to try his new bicycle"
bizarre or fantastic; "had a crazy dream"; "wore a crazy hat"
intensely enthusiastic about or preoccupied with; "crazy about cars and racing"
someone deranged and possibly dangerous

Malcolm

Hal, crazy? Everyone in the show is crazy! I dont remember any normal character in it.

The ones that are not crazy are stupid, and those who arent crazy or stupid are evil. Wait... maybe thats the "normal" people! Maybe we are the FREAKS!!!

:eek:

D

Deleted member 1693

Hal, crazy? Everyone in the show is crazy! I dont remember any normal character in it.

The ones that are not crazy are stupid, and those who arent crazy or stupid are evil. Wait... maybe thats the "normal" people! Maybe we are the FREAKS!!!

:eek:

You really went off there, lol. Yes, in fact, you have stumbled upon a new Matrix. Good luck out there in the hidden real world of insanity and stupidity, Neo.

Or is there a difference between that reality and this fantasy? I'll leave that up to you.

...OR WILL I?! ;D

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexTheMartian

Hal is obsessive compulsive, which is shown in Chad's Sleepover. Chad is too, that is what reveals this fact about Hal. Also, as previously stated, this is shown in Bots and Bees. This is not necessarily "craziness". Wikipedia defines OCD as "someone who is meticulous or absorbed in a cause"... that's Hal.

and, come on, if he was not that way, he would not be as funny XD