Dabney star Sullivan taking Malcolm's 8.30 slot - Exclusive Promo Footage Inside!

admin

Retired Administrator
Click Here to See an EXCLUSIVE 45 second promo of The War At Home
(Members Only)
The new half-hour comedy series "The War at Home" is on the slate for FOX TV's Fall Season, scheduled for Sunday, 8:30pm.​

This irreverent show goes inside the heads of a modern family as they try to win THE WAR AT HOME in this half-hour comedy premiering on FOX. Stars Dean Collins (formerly Warren in "Jack & Bobby,") as Mike, Kyle Sullivan (former "Malcolm in the Middle" Krelboyne Dabney) as Larry, Kaylee Defer as Hillary, Anita Barone as Vicky, and Michael Rapaport as Dave.​

"When DAVE (Michael Rapaport) and VICKY (Anita Barone) were growing up, their parents had it easy. Back then, there were no “time-outs,” no one had any “boundaries” and “parenting” wasn’t even a word. Parents also had no idea what their kids were really up to; ignorance truly was bliss. Now Dave and Vicky have teenagers of their own, and anything their kids might even think about doing, Dave and Vicky have already done … at least twice. But knowledge isn’t power – it’s a giant pain! Every day is a battle to keep the kids in line. Fifteen-year-old LARRY (Kyle Sullivan) isn’t exactly a frequent diner at the cool kids’ table in the cafeteria, while 16-year-old HILLARY (Kaylee Defer) knows it all and is just emerging onto the dating scene. Meanwhile, at 13, MIKE (Dean Collins) is all hormones and video games. Dave and Vicky figure if they can send these three off to college without a police record or kids of their own, they’ve done their job. This witty, irreverent show from Rob Lotterstein (“Will & Grace,” “Ellen,” “Dream On”) goes inside the heads of a modern family through the use of a confessional space where the characters reveal everything they could never actually say to one another – as they do their best to win THE WAR AT HOME"

Click Here to See an EXCLUSIVE 45 second promo of The War At Home
(Members Only)

Credit to MITM18 for this fantastic video clip!

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: Dabney star Kyle Sullivan taking Malcolm's 8.30 slot

What to you guys think of this, just a rehash of Malcolm in the Middle or something worth looking out for.

I am suprised it booted Malcolm out of its slot, afterall they do not know how successful it will be yet.

Kyle has certainly grown alot since the geeky little kid from Season 1 - 4. I just wonder if we will be able to watch it without thinking "Dabney" all the time!

Think more negatively here, do you think Malcolm would be moved back to 8.30 Sunday if this show fails? I don't know how things work in the US. But here a failing show is pushed back usually to past prime time, or is shifted off onto some obscure digital channel.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

No, MITM would not be moved back, most likely. They would probably fill it with a different stupid show instead. In the US, it's rare that a show returns to a timeslot it vacates for much of any reason.

You're right, it does sound a bit like MITM, doesn't it? Judging from the role it sounds like "Dabney" will be playing, I don't think I'll be able to think of him as anything other than Dabney, but I may give it a try; after all, I've become accostomed to that being my half hour of TV.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator

Great, Dabney's return, that's really nice since he didn't have any appearances in seasons 5 & 6 actually. Okay, it's not in Mitm, but he's back on the screen...:)

admin

Retired Administrator

Dabney said:
Great, Dabney's return, that's really nice since he didn't have any appearances in seasons 5 & 6 actually. Okay, it's not in Mitm, but he's back on the screen...:)
Yeah, its always interesting to see what people do after they do something else. I will be keeping a close eye on this show, if it works it could be successful - clearly FOX are appealing to the MITM audience with this show by dumping it in its ex slot.

Credits go to MITM18 for getting us an all exclusive video clip!

Emrysgirl

Sounds more like 8 Simple Rules:

popular (sort of) oldest kid
geeky middle child
weirdo youngest

I have low hopes, but I've been wrong before. I've never seen a show move back to its old timeslot in the US. But sometimes the new time works out anyway, and becomes the standard, like with SCRUBS (although ratings still fell).

gottaluvem

Hollywood actr on the way
has any one seen Kyle on nickelodean? on the show called "All That"? it's a totally crrazy show where they have these kids, and they play out all these crazy random skits... it's hilarious and Kyle really does well in that show... though, it's very different from his part on Malcolm.. in MITM he plays that uptight, nerdy, sort of overly cautious character.. but in "All That", he's just crazy and exuberant and who knows what... it's amazing seeing him play to completely different people...

This new show of his sounds exciting, I think I'll whatch it when it airs...

Personally, i Like MITM's time change much better... on sundays my mom always wants to go places, shopping for things i we don't need and noone wants.. but now, it comes on on fridays, the day she goes to work and comes home at 9:00 at night

admin

Retired Administrator
Emrysgirl said:
Sounds more like 8 Simple Rules:

popular (sort of) oldest kid
geeky middle child
weirdo youngest

I have low hopes, but I've been wrong before. I've never seen a show move back to its old timeslot in the US. But sometimes the new time works out anyway, and becomes the standard, like with SCRUBS (although ratings still fell).
I have to agree it does seem to share quite abit with MITM and 8 Simple Rules. They really do like this format tempate in the USA. There are a entire set of shows that come out the USA that are almost the same. And then they love Spin Offs! Just incase you couldn't get anymore templated, they make CSI Miami, and CSI New York from CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I just had my first chance to watch the promo (I usually visit on a Mac, and I can't get Media Player to work right on those things) and I must say it looks really dumb there. The descriptions make it sound much better. You guys can tell me if the first ep is good and if it is, maybe I'll try subsequent episodes.

Ryebeach

Thank you very much MITM18 for providing the exclusive clip of this show. I'm a fan of Michael Rappaport and was saddened when Boston Public was cancelled. He was excellent as Danny Hanson in this show. So I was intrigued as to what this show will be about. After viewing the clip, I'm left with a feeling of eh... I've seen it before, many times. It reminds me not only of 8 Simple Rules, but also of Grounded for Life (screaming, overdramatic daughter) and Still Standing. Most likely, I'll give the show a shot to see Michael on weekly TV again and also to see how Kyle does and I will undoubtedly be comparing his role in this show to Dabney. I think it's hard not to when an actor begins another role, at least in the beginning.

Also, I would tend to doubt that MITM would return to this time slot if this show doesn't make it but we shall see.

MITM18

No problem!

He is already involved with All That and this show, so there is no way he is coming back except MAYBE a cameo.

admin

Retired Administrator
Its talking about Kyle Sullivan, the actor who plays Dabney, not Eric. If you see the pics in the original post, you will notice that.

Emrysgirl

So, I got around to watching the entire ep (the second ep that is - I missed the first one). And it was awful...just awful:Sick:! The show parades out the usual characters - the clueless and uninterested father, the polular (or in this case slutty) oldest child, the geeky middle child, the renegade youngest and the sensitive mother who pulls them all together:rolleyes:.

In addition to being truly attrocious and unfunny, it was also pretty offensive. There are two kinds of comedy shows that deal with race, gender, sexual orientation etc. Those that mock a character (even the main character) for having prejudices and those that play along and make offensive jokes. Sadly, The War at Home is the latter. It was sexist, homophobic and racist:Angry:. It was one of those shows that tries to cram as many lewd jokes as possible within 30mins. Of course, as in every crappy show, the wife keeps in touch with an old boyfriend so that she can 'discuss her feelings' while the husband spends his time in a cybersex chat room. It's ok and even funny to make the main character homophobic. But the show reduces itself to that level, taking a cheap shot at transvestites in it's disclaimer. Racism wasn't that blatant in this episode, but from referances to the previous show, it's obvious that is was there.