Changes

arach

We talked about changes in MitM a lot in the past. As the boys grew older, the topics and the jokes changed a lot.

What was the biggest change for you? And what was the change you disliked most?

I think it's pretty sad that it's not about 'kids outsmarting adults' anymore. That was the best part in former days. That's what I had to laugh about most. As they grew older, they have other problems of course, and the outsmarting stuff is not that funny anymore because they are nearly grown-ups now.

Now you. Tell me what changes you didn't like. Or aren't there any changes you regret? Let's find out. ;)

allison

I agree that it´s sad that the outsmart thing isn´t that important anymore. But as you said it wouldn´t be that funny if they still did it.
The biggest change for me of course is the birth of Jamie. I mean he actually doesn´t do anything, but I just don´t see the point. Something is different now. Dewey always was the little one who was constantly picked on by his older brothers. But then again he was quite a mysterious person, you never had an idea what was on his mind. There was something special about him, but you couldn´t say what it is. Now we know what it is: he´s also kind of a genius. It seems like writers tried to think of something they could do about Dewey since he wasn´t the youngest kid anymore and someone came up with that idea, because he really wasn´t into music until the 5th season (ok, maybe you could see his talent in "Humilithon" before, but now he composes requiems).
It´s not that bad, I just miss the "old" Dewey with that mysterious look on his face. In my opinion it would be better if he still had all these talents but nobody except the audience would know.
They try to focus the show on Dewey since he has a good age, but I´m not sure if this is a great idea.
I also liked it better when Malcolm adressed the camera pretty often. Now he just does it once in a while.

I don´t want to complain about everything, though. The first 4 season were the best, but even if there were some big changes during the last 2 years it´s still a great show.

Malcolm

I used to think that Dewey was a scary little kid!;) He was like sharks; you look at his face and you never know what is he thinking, what is gonna be his next move.
When I started watching the show, some people used to think Dewey had a mental problem. They believed he was retarded!! And now we know he is a genius and a great artist.
I think thats fine, but It would be more interesting (and scary) if that new genius-Dewey had still that shark thing. Now you would know he is a genius but you wouldnt know what he is thinking... brrrr!:eek:

Emrysgirl

I agree - Dewey's character has changed the most. I just watched Red Dress and that's what I was thinking about the most when I was watching it. He use to be so adorable! I don't really like the new Dewey (His plots are still funny, but he's a little annoying).
He seems to take too much pride in his musical talents. The writers pulled off Malcolm being a genius well b/c he didn't flaunt it. In fact, it was sort of like a curse b/c he couldn't control saying smart things or thinking critical thoughts. But Dewey sort of tries his hardest to make people notice him ( I'm contrasting Reese joins the Army I with Krelboyne Picnic or Vegas). Now Reese is becoming the bizzare one, which leaves a void.

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
The change I don't like is this new "everyone hates Malcolm" thing that's been happening in the last couple episodes. Reese never had any friends, and that worked, but Malcolm always did have friends. Now suddenly everyone hates Reese AND Malcolm. The two characters have become too similar.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
i realized that too. in earlier seasons he at least had his Krelboynes, but also other friends. Now there's only Stevie, but he also appeares less often...

D

Deleted member 1693

As is said on many other threads, Malcolm doesn't use his brain much later on. This is what equates him to Reese. And I think the "nobody likes me" thing went slightly over the top, too. But hey! One of the only good things I've learned in life is that change can be good.

Evil King

F.A.Q Freak
I didn't like how Lois, (my favourite character) became less powerful as the whole thing commenced. She is, literally the spine of the family, AND the sitcom itself, without Lois, there is no Malcolm in the Middle.

The thing is that she always seemed the most powerful person, such a powerful figure. She eventually started loosing a lot of power, had even more emotional scenes (not saying that's a bad thing), and more people started sticking up against her, which was kind of weird because since the start, her character was implied to be the ultimate boss who everyone was scared of.

I know this was because they were growing up, and it may have been fun watching but since Lois is my favourite character, I always loved seeing her powerful reactions. When ever someone gets into to trouble, I just think "Wow, I can't wait to see Lois's reaction"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

Yeah, I get you, Evil. She definitely got "softer" over time.

Lozart

They were all so cute in the beginning! Dewey, Reese, Malcolm, and Stevie! They are too old to be doing such immature stuff. However they are the Wilkersons :)