Question: Post/thread deletions

Ryebeach

I was just wondering what the policy is for members being allowed to delete their own posts and/or threads? Will that be possible as our post counts increase or will that not be possible at all?

Thanks.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Currently, members may edit their threads as it seems you figured out but cannot delete them and cannot delete posts. I set this remembering how Appanah deleted all of his wonderful reviews once in a mad rage and they were lost forever. If everyone thinks it would be best to be able to delete their own posts, though, that can be arranged.

Ryebeach

Okay, thanks Sam. Doesn't matter to me either way. I was just curious as when I attempted to delete a question that I asked in another thread, I noticed I couldn't.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ok, now that you mentioned him, who is Appanah? What happened?
Yes, Im nosy, and right now kinda bored, so I could use a story from "the Vault of Sam" ;D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
LOL Well Darren Appanah was a college student studying some sort of viewing habits of different demographics on a particular show. In his case, he did studies of Malcolm because he had to choose a current and popular show. As a result, the Voting Community was the perfect place for him to share his thoughts and opinions as he wrote his papers and collect our thoughts and opinions.

So one of the things that he did was write really really really long and detailed reviews for each of the episodes. This was during about season 6 so we had some real good discussions on eps like Butterflies, Motivational Seminar, and No Motorcycles. Appanah really worked his way up the rep ladder and became one of our most respected members. David actually considered him for a mod at some point; he was in the running with samboo.

Well there were these two other members, names Sully something-or-other, a gay boy from Ireland, and Allison, from Germany. The three of these people were in the chat room one evening discussing a wide range of topics. David and I happened to be testing a new version of the chat room at the time that had "spy" capabilities--that is, we could see what they were saying without them knowing we were there. There were discussing a whole slew of topics and I don't remember the specifics because it moved very quickly but we approached them about a couple of inappropriate topics they were discussing. All three left. Sully never returned, Allison eventually did. Appanah left in a horrendously mad anger. He wanted his account deleted and when David refused he deleted all his posts instead. Every single one of his reviews was gone so our discussions made no sense at all and his valuable piece of literature was lost forever. (Eventually he re-registered, came back, and there was another scandal because he wouldn't admit he had two usernames until we did an IP check and proved it to him.)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
....Wow.
Uh...Im kinda at a lost for words. I can't believe this type of stuff happens on the VC! Geez, it's just a place to talk about MITM!
But, and not trying to anger you, I have to question yours and Dave's motives. Was it really appropriate to spy in on members like that(and I guess thats what Appandah got mad at)?
Ok, now let's hear J's version! ;D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
there's no point in telling a story twice. Although I didn't know about the whole part about how you and david had spied on Allison, Appanah, and Sully1547... I guess it was on a need-to-know basis, and I didn't need to know...

Not much else to add other then I did the IP check (as usual) amd that I had convinced him to come back... for a while...

Besides, Sam, I'm ashamed that you told them about our spy-bot...That was a mod secret...

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I, for one, vote for naught(no, in plain English ;D ). I just don't see why someone should be able to spy in on other peoples conversations...it stinks of the whole "George Bush/CIA secret recording" thing.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
There was a reason we did it. I don't remember the specifics but basically those three were quite literally in the chat room 24/7 so we wanted to know what they were constantly talking about.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
and... your point? Being that you don't have a memory as sharp as mine, maybe you should have told me all this, so we could spill all the oldVC's guts.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Well, what does it matter what they were talking about? It's really their business, IMO. If they were not hurting any other member, I don't see the big deal.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
We're not going to stir the pot in the past. The fact of the matter is that that chat room was really inefficient on the bandwidth and David was afraid he was gonna get hit with a massive bill. And that's the end of it. They knew it wasn't secure and nowhere did it promise privacy. It's not like we watched them go to the bathroom. They chose to use David's server and David has a right to know what's going on on his server. Did you know that some cell phone companies log every text message you ever send or receive?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ok, I guess you have a point. Wasn't trying to start an arguement, I was just asking.
Anywhos, and I didn't know that cell phone companies log text messages!

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Interesting. I always wondered why he left so abruptly, but I didn't want to ask since i was a newbie back then and all. Anyways, I didn't know we had a spy bot! ;D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Speaking of the chatroom, do you guys remember that weird robot in there? Forgot what it's name was.

Surprised none of you guys have mentioned that guy who kept coming back under multiple usernames and was really annoying. He came to the Grouper site too.

Re Appanah - I'm pretty sure he came back as Dewey. Yeah, his reviews were awesome, it's a shame he went and deleted them all.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Hey Amigo, welcome back! Glad you found your way here. ;D The chat bot's name was Alice. Speaking of chat, we're working on getting a shoutbox up on this forum. Hopefully we'll be able to figure it out soon. :-\