PDA

View Full Version : "Help Me Help You" and other MitM-related stuff

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:06 PM
What's the new show she's on? Does anyone know the name of it(I keep forgetting)?

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:08 PM
The good news.
She's on "Help Me Help You" with Ted Danson (Cheers) on ABC Wednesdays.

The Bad news.
It's AXED.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:09 PM
Son of a--- how long did it last?! 2 weeks?! Man, why can't Jane get a break?

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:13 PM
They chucked out 9 episodes before finally doing away with it.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:17 PM
Was the show any good or not? I mean, I can't see Jane being in trash, but....
Oh, and real quick, what is the name of that movie Jane was in back in the 80's with John Denver(that Christmas movie)?

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:22 PM
I saw one episode, and it was good. Ted and Jane certainly work well together.

What is the name of that movie Jane was in back in the 80's with John Denver(that Christmas movie)?

And that movie's called "The Christmas Gift", and that was good as well.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:23 PM
That's it! Thanks, Mike. :) My sister watched it on tv(I saw some of it, and thought it was ok). Certainly was weird seeing Jane as someone other than Lois. ;D

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:31 PM
Yeah, no screaming, no outlandish punishments... It's like watching Berfy in "Max Keeble's Big Move." :D

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:32 PM
By Berfy, I'm talking Justin Berfield. :P

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:34 PM
Don't call Justin "Berfy", that sounds...too...never mind. ;D And is that a good movie Justin was in? How big was his part?

Anyways, we better get back on topic! ;D

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:46 PM
He was the caption writer (noting big, but he did have some intresting bylines for the 'paper'.).

So, yeah, how about that 7th season! ;D

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:49 PM
What were those interesting bylines?

And yeah, that season 7, I tell you what! ;D

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 03:52 PM
Bylines from JB as the caption writers - "Look Who's Crying Now", "Jell-O Hello", "Cafeteria Hysteria" (my favorite), "Keeble Canceled", to name a few.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 03:53 PM
;D

Anyways, season 7...yes....it was GREAT. :)

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 04:47 PM
Speaking of "Help Me Help You" and this makes be sad and angry at the network for cancelling the show so soon. An upcoming episode, the 11th one, originally set to air in early January was directed by Linwood Boomer and Jane Kaczmarek guest-stars as well. It was to be a mini MITM reunion of sorts. Now, since the show has been pulled it's doubtful we'll ever get to see that episode. :(

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
Maybe if 9 network down in Aussie-land is kind... But we live in the States! l0l ;)

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
Well, what was the show about in the first place?

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 04:54 PM
According to Wikipedia, Help Me Help You was a comedy about a collection of eccentric individuals in group therapy with a respected therapist (Danson) -- who may quite possibly have more problems than his patients.

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 04:57 PM
According to Wikipedia, Help Me Help You was a comedy about a collection of eccentric individuals in group therapy with a respected therapist (Danson) -- who may quite possibly have more problems than his patients.

Yep, and Jane played Danson's ex-wife. She only appeared in 4 of the 9 episodes that aired. She was funny in her role but the show wasn't all that funny. Also, David Higgins, who played Craig on MITM, guest starred in one episode and had a scene with Jane. It was so weird to see them in a scene outside of MITM with different character names.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 04:59 PM
Was David still goofy like Craig or was his character different?

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
Was David still goofy like Craig or was his character different?

Not quite as goofy as Craig but still kind of childlike in some ways. His character, in his 40's, was trying to start up a rock band with Danson's character.

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah, they did a number for Jane's character in one of the eppies, and it was good. I noticed a few familiar names in the production credits, as well.

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, they did a number for Jane's character in one of the eppies, and it was good. I noticed a few familiar names in the production credits, as well.

As Justin Berfield mentioned in a recent post, about half of the MITM crew was working on "Help Me Help You" and when he visited Jane on set earlier this fall, it was like being home again. :)

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 05:06 PM
Well, Im going to go for about 30 mintues so I can watch MITM(it's about to come on!). :)

Oh, and Mike, maybe you should take the last page of posts or so and make a seperate thread since none of this is about season 7! ;D

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 05:23 PM
Done. I created a new section to talk about the MitM cast and crew's endeavors today.

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 05:23 PM
Done. I created a new section to talk about the MitM cast and crew's endeavors today.

Great idea, thanks Mike! :)

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
Well, Im back. The episode was "Reese's apartment", one of my favorites! :)

Anyways, anyone have news as to what Bryan is up to?

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 05:37 PM
Well, Im back. The episode was "Reese's apartment", one of my favorites! :)

Anyways, anyone have news as to what Bryan is up to?

Great episode! Love the ending when Lois drages Reese out by his ears. ;D

Bryan has recently signed on to appear in the ABC Family miniseries "Fallen." He will be playing Lucifer in this new show, which is quite a departure from Hal. :o The show should air sometime next summer. Not sure how many episodes there will be. I thnk I heard there would be four but nothing confirmed as of yet.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 05:48 PM
Oh no. Why does this happen? My favorite actor from MITM playing my personal least liked being in the universe(and no Im not kidding). This really sucks.

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 06:07 PM
Well, let's see if we'll really love to hate Lucifer (in other words, let's see if Cranston can nail this one! ;))

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 06:18 PM
I know you guys don't understand if your not a Christian, but this is a serious deal to me. I just always prayed none of the cast would do a role like this, and especially Bryan, being my favorite from MITM.

yardgames
Dec 28, 2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe it won't be so bad Tony. Besides, sometimes it's good to see other people's viewpoints as well, and maybe that is what Bryan is trying to do.

reese35
Dec 28, 2006, 07:14 PM
Sorry for offending you, Tony, if i did. But, yeah, let's see how it turns out.

Ryebeach
Dec 28, 2006, 07:16 PM
There's so little info available about the series at this point, I'm not sure how the role will turn out or if the role will be lead or supporting. As soon as I see any articles (there's only one out there so far. I'll look for that link), I'll post the info/links.

tony_montana
Dec 28, 2006, 08:51 PM
@Mike- You didn't offend me at all. :)
@Sam- Show the viewpoint of whom, mayhap? I could care less about Lucifer's viewpoint(if that's whos viewpoint you were referring to).

AlexTheMartian
Dec 31, 2006, 07:07 PM
Let me try and figure out why the show "Help Me Help you" was pulled..

Well it was on ABC, but really I think it seemed more like a CBS-type of show.

and Ted Danson was the star of the show "Becker" which he also plays a "Dr.", except in that he was a clinic doctor, and this he is a therapist, but I think still both roles were too similar. On this new show he has an over-inflated ego, but he also did as well on "Becker". Again, too similar.

Plus he looked weird with almost-white hair.

reese35
Dec 31, 2006, 07:13 PM
Nice to have you back, Alex!

Anyone else's guess is as good as mine. Over the top promotion, but underrated ratings. ;D

Ryebeach
Dec 31, 2006, 10:26 PM
Let me try and figure out why the show "Help Me Help you" was pulled..

Well it was on ABC, but really I think it seemed more like a CBS-type of show.

and Ted Danson was the star of the show "Becker" which he also plays a "Dr.", except in that he was a clinic doctor, and this he is a therapist, but I think still both roles were too similar. On this new show he has an over-inflated ego, but he also did as well on "Becker". Again, too similar.

Plus he looked weird with almost-white hair.

Good points, Alex! I know it occurred to me as well while I was watching the show that it just didn't feel like an ABC show...Hard to pinpoint exactly why, but it had a CBS vibe to it and I can't help but wonder if it would have done better on that network.

AlexTheMartian
Dec 31, 2006, 10:28 PM
well CBS has too many sitcoms already, they probably cant hold any more :P

Ryebeach
Dec 31, 2006, 10:31 PM
well CBS has too many sitcoms already, they probably cant hold any more :P

True, true. ;D

tony_montana
Jan 1, 2007, 10:59 AM
Too many CRAPPY sitcoms. ;D
Really, can anyone think of any sitcoms nowadays that are worth anything?

AlexTheMartian
Jan 1, 2007, 02:05 PM
Too many CRAPPY sitcoms. ;D
Really, can anyone think of any sitcoms nowadays that are worth anything?

i like every one of them. i watch them all. sorry I'm just a sitcom fan, lol. we seem to be having opposite opinions on everything, lol

some of my favs are two and a half men, according to jim, how i met your mother, etc. and of the ones that have since ended my favs are (of course) malcolm in the middle, everybody loves raymond, and home improvement

I am not saying the current sitcoms are worth anything or not, that is everyone's personal opinions. I am just stating my own opinion.

tony_montana
Jan 1, 2007, 02:58 PM
I might find "According to Jim" funnier, but I got animosity against it because, about two months ago, they started showing it on my local FOX station in the afternoons and, because of that, they went from showing two MITM reruns a day to only one. >:(

AlexTheMartian
Jan 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
hmm, I don't think they have "According to Jim" on the FOX here in L.A., it is still on ABC, heck this Wednesday they have the Season Premiere on ABC... kinda odd for a show still running to have reruns on a different network.

but I think I recall a previous ABC sitcom to have reruns on FOX while it was still running, that being Home Improvement (man, that took a mind workout for me to remember that).. or is my brain misfiring information? I'm almost positive home Improvement was on FOX as well, but as reruns.

Again another ABC thing.. ABC sure do some weird things with their sitcoms. But probably we should get back on topic.

tony_montana
Jan 1, 2007, 06:54 PM
Yeah....I was about to suggest we get back on topic, as well. ;D
Ssssooooo......ever since "Help Me Help You" ended, has Jane been slated to do anything else or(Im asking of Jane in particular because I find that, as more time passes since MITM ended, I find myself missing her acting more and more ;D)?

Ryebeach
Jan 1, 2007, 08:48 PM
Ssssooooo......ever since "Help Me Help You" ended, has Jane been slated to do anything else or(Im asking of Jane in particular because I find that, as more time passes since MITM ended, I find myself missing her acting more and more ;D)?

I know she appeared on Celebrity Jeopardy back in late October/early November and she's been doing work with her charity, "Clothes off our back." Other than that I believe she's particpating in some sort of one night only stage production in California. I don't know much about it and am not able to put my finger on the link but it involves a good number of celebrities. I think the event is to raise money for charity as well. :)

tony_montana
Jan 2, 2007, 08:13 AM
Cool! I like when celebrities use their time for those causes(that's a reason I respect Justin Berfield so much, because of his work with the Ronald McDonald House :)). So what is "Clothes off our Backs" anyways?

AlexTheMartian
Jan 2, 2007, 09:31 PM
Cool! I like when celebrities use their time for those causes(that's a reason I respect Justin Berfield so much, because of his work with the Ronald McDonald House :)). So what is "Clothes off our Backs" anyways?

i think it pretty much is just celebrity clothing auction. it's website sums it up well "charity auctions showcasing today's hottest celebrity attire", as it says it is for charity. http://www.clothesoffourback.org/

Ryebeach
Jan 3, 2007, 09:39 PM

Same here! :) I think it's great and also rare to find celebrities who are supportive of charitable organizations as Jane and Justin are. Besides the Ronald McDonald Charities House program, Justin also devotes a lot of time to animal related charity organizations. He just recently participated in an Animal Planet E-bay auction along with a number of other celebrities. The auction, as a whole, raised more than $3900, with all money raised benefiting animal related charities.

i think it pretty much is just celebrity clothing auction. it's website sums it up well "charity auctions showcasing today's hottest celebrity attire", as it says it is for charity. http://www.clothesoffourback.org/

Yep, that's it and it's notable for being founded by both Jane and her husband, Bradley Whitford. :)

tony_montana
Jan 5, 2007, 05:08 PM
Like Rye said, it's good to see two celebrities involved extensivly in charity. What's more impressive about Justin is he's a young guy and most young celebrities would be splurging their money and acting out like jerks, whilst Justin is a very sensible guy and very generous with his money. :)
God bless Jane and Justin :)

AlexTheMartian
Jan 6, 2007, 03:43 AM
Justin was lucky I guess to have basically grown up being on tv, from being on commercials as a kid, to being on 5 seasons of "Unhappily ever After", and within months after that having jumped right into Malcolm in the Middle for 7 seasons. He basically grew up being on tv, and that I think made a positive impact because he did not get into the party scene, or into negative things like drinking or drugs.

I have to be honest, a normal teenage life can result in unpredictable results to those with a lot of money. So he should be glad to had nice caring real and tv families, and was never guided in the wrong direction. Being in Los Angeles, I have seen that the combination of teenage life and being a celebrity or wealthy more often then not ends up a bad situation. Justin on the other case was always busy so he did not get affected.

Frankie on the other hand worries me.. i seen pictures of him driving around in his expensive cars, rater it be rare ones or from fast & the furious, etc. .. heck, he was even Punk'd by Ashton as he stole his super rare luxury car by acting as a valet service at a club or restaurant or something

er... going off topic again :( lol

yardgames
Jan 7, 2007, 04:44 PM
Off-topic indeed, but I agree with you. It's weird, but I always thought Frankie was the "smarter" of the two, if I can say this without offended Frankie, Justin, or their fans, but I always thought Frankie had more intelligence, but I really think that stems from his playing Malcolm, who's a smart person. In reality, Frankie was just a little bit lucky and happened to have A LOT of charisma. Justin on the other hand is smart. He had to work his ass off to get the part of Reese--it was supposed to go to the person that played Spath in Pilot, remember, but Justin is the one that's had to play a wider range of emotions and Justin is the one that's been ambitious enough to start his own company and save his money and help charities. Not that driving cars isn't a wise use of money.....

tony_montana
Jan 7, 2007, 10:53 PM
I think Justin is highly intelligent. He knows how to use the money he has been blessed with, and not only that he uses it for charities, he keeps out of trouble(unlike some young celebrities). :)
Not calling Frankie stupid, but.... ;D

MalcolmReeseDewey
Jan 12, 2007, 02:12 PM
I never knew the actress that played piama is that famous and is in lots of stuff! cool, good for her ;)

PBUNDY
Feb 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
I read in an article on the Internet today that Jane will be traveling to Poland at the end of the month for a week of personal appearances when Malcolm in the Middle launches there. She also did a guest spot on a Starz cable comedy series that will premiere later in the year.

yardgames
Feb 3, 2007, 03:28 PM
MITM is just now launching in Poland? Are you sure the article is current, because that's very interesting.

PBUNDY
Feb 4, 2007, 05:14 PM
It was from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and was dated January 31st, 2007.
Here's the exact article:

Milwaukee native Kaczmarek, meanwhile, has been loving the slow lane after seven seasons of "Malcolm in the Middle."

Not that the slow lane is all that slow.

Since last spring, when the Fox show went off the air, she has appeared in the recurring role of Ted Danson's ex-wife on ABC's "Help Me Help You," done a guest shot on a Starz cable comedy series that will premiere later in the year, and continued working with Clothes Off Our Back, the charitable foundation she her Madison native husband, Bradley Whitford ("Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip"), founded in 2002.

"And I love having more time to be a mom," says Kaczmarek, whose children are 9, 7 and 4.

Later this month, Kaczmarek will travel to Poland for a week of personal appearances when "Malcolm" launches there.

The actress, who's of Polish descent on both sides of her family, has never been there before.

"I don't know what took me so long," she says. "I can't wait."

PBUNDY
Feb 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
Here's what's going on with Bryan Cranston (according to the Hollywood Reporter):

In a departure from his starring role on "Malcolm in the Middle," Bryan Cranston has signed on to play a dying man in AMC's drama pilot "Breaking Bad."

In the pilot's lead role, he'll portray a high school chemistry teacher who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and uses his chemistry skills to launch a meth lab in order to make money quickly and provide for his wife and disabled son.

Cranston's role on "Malcolm" earned him three Emmy nominations. He most recently appeared in Oscar contender "Little Miss Sunshine" and in a multi-episode arc on CBS' comedy series "How I Met Your Mother."

yardgames
Feb 5, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for those articles, PBUNDY. I find it very interesting that MITM is just launching in Poland--enjoy it Poles! ;D I might have to take a look at this role of Bryans, although I don't even know if I get that old-fogie channel. ;D Now is that going to be like a made-for-TV movie or an actual series?

PBUNDY
Feb 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
The article that reported that first made a mistake on the channel, it will be airing on ABC.

This is what I read today:

Bryan Cranston, the dad from "Malcolm in the Middle," has landed the lead in the ABC pilot "Breaking Bad." He plays a high-school chemistry teacher with terminal cancer - a little melodramatic for the wacky actor. But wait - his character uses his chemistry expertise to start a meth lab to make heaps of quick cash ...

Wildcat
Feb 6, 2007, 05:54 AM
@Yardgames--You don't get ABC??? That's not even a cable channel. :o

I don't know if I want to watch a show where Brian is dying/dies. It might be too traumatic for me. It would seem like Hal dying. ;D

That's kinda cool that MITM is just now premiering in Poland. Maybe we'll get a rush of brand new Polish fans joining the forum. ;D

PBUNDY
Feb 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
Correction:

"Breaking Bad", starring Bryan Cranston will be airing on AMC as I originally posted, not ABC.
This is according to the New York Daily News, so I'm crossing my fingers this time it's right.

AlexTheMartian
Feb 6, 2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, it is AMC, not ABC. Its IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/) says AMC.

yardgames
Feb 7, 2007, 09:42 AM
Of course I get ABC. Which is it!? ;D Will I see it? ;D

Nico21
Feb 7, 2007, 02:25 PM
I don't know if I want to watch a show where Brian is dying/dies. It might be too traumatic for me. It would seem like Hal dying. ;D

Watch the X-files episode entitled "drive" (season 6), Bryan Cranston dies here too, but you don't think about Hal because of his moustache !
I didn't know it was him until I saw the credits !

AlexTheMartian
Feb 7, 2007, 09:40 PM
Of course I get ABC. Which is it!? ;D Will I see it? ;D

Well, it is AMC, American Movie Classics, on cable TV, you get that?

NeCoHo
Feb 8, 2007, 04:52 AM
*In corney texan accent* 'sczue Sam, he's dumber then a cow on crack... Sorry, I had to Sam. Your asking for it. :D

Wildcat
Feb 8, 2007, 06:24 AM
Watch the X-files episode entitled "drive" (season 6), Bryan Cranston dies here too, but you don't think about Hal because of his moustache !
I didn't know it was him until I saw the credits !

I used to be a huge x-files fan! That's the one where the guy has to keep moving in a westward direction or something inplanted in his head will explode, right? It's been a long time since I've watched it (before I was a MITM fan) so I never realized that was Bryan. I'll have to see if it still airs around here and check it out. It will be traumatic though. ;D

Nico21
Feb 8, 2007, 10:29 AM
I used to be a huge x-files fan! That's the one where the guy has to keep moving in a westward direction or something inplanted in his head will explode, right? It's been a long time since I've watched it (before I was a MITM fan) so I never realized that was Bryan. I'll have to see if it still airs around here and check it out. It will be traumatic though. ;D

You're right, Bryan Cranston plays a man with a weird disease, if he doesn't move to the west his veins will explode.
But don't worry, you won't recognize him as Hal, his appearance is totally different !

Looking for MITM actors in X-files, D. Von Bargen (Edwin Spangler) appeared in an episode too (during the 5th season).

That's funny, a lot of MITM fans used to be X-files fans, whereas the two series are totally different !
I'm a big fan of this series too, I have recorded about 2/3 of the episodes in VHS during the last airing (which ended about 2 years ago)... but my VCR is now broken and I hesitate to buy a new one just to watch it again...
I was about to buy the DVD's, but the whole series costs 900 in stores here ! That's way too expensive !

yardgames
Feb 8, 2007, 05:42 PM
Might be too expensive for x-Files but I would pay it in a heartbeat for MITM.

Wildcat
Feb 9, 2007, 11:11 PM
They are still pretty expensive..for a show that ended awhile back. I got seasons 1-3 as gifts when they first came out then i started losing interest so I never finished the collection. Check on ebay, maybe you'll find it cheaper.

yardgames
Feb 10, 2007, 04:03 PM
What is the maximum that you guys would be willing to pay for all seven seasons of MITM on DVD?

reese35
Feb 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
You know, if you watch "Bomb Shelter" and recent episodes of General Hospital, you'd notice Sonya Eddy as Lois' last competition and nurse Epiphany Johnson.

Nico21
Feb 11, 2007, 07:53 AM
Might be too expensive for x-Files but I would pay it in a heartbeat for MITM.

I actually think it's way too expensive, even for MITM.
For the 7 MITM seasons, I could pay 300-400 (~400-500$), but not more.

I mean I really enjoy the show but I'm not ready to spend so much money on DVDs. For the price of the X-files DVDs, I would buy a laptop!

yardgames
Feb 11, 2007, 09:34 PM
A cheap one that's obsolete in a couple years; MITM DVDs last a lifetime!

Wildcat
Feb 14, 2007, 08:01 PM
Right now on amazon.com you can get the first season of MITM for $20. That would be great if you could get the entire series in a box set for $140-$150. But I would probably go as high $400 for all 7 seasons, if necessary (not that I actually have it to spend ;D) That would break down to about $70 per season, which is WAY on the high side for a comedy, but MITM would be worth it. ;D

tony_montana
Feb 16, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hm....I don't know how much Id pay for the whole show on DVD. I already have all of season 1 and many episodes recorded from various seasons, soo...I think Id pay upwards to $250.00 for em.

yardgames
Feb 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
All sorts of different numbers being thrown around here. Can we put a value on the greatness of MITM? ;D

PBUNDY
Feb 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
I agree with yardgames, you can't really put a monetary value on Malcolm in the Middle. ;)

Lucky Maroon
Dec 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
You guys are absolutely right, but if I were to pay for all of it...

...My soul and maybe my left foot. I only use it occasionally.

(this is what happens when I try to be funny)

we_dye
Jan 13, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi all.

I guess the price I'd pay depends on what is included on the discs. If they only have the episodes on them, I'd probably pay $175 (approx $25 for each season) for a box set of the entire series.

However, if they released a box set full of extra features, out takes and behind the scenes stuff, and alternative endings - never before seen stuff, then I'd be willing to pay more than double that amount. If only there were more DVD releases.

tjpeople
Jan 13, 2008, 05:33 PM
welcome we_dye (http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=1797), if need any help or have questions feel free to contact me/yardgames/amigo22.