UPN/WB's run is up

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I read about that earlier today. Quite interesting. Going to be replaced with the CW, right? Or the WC? Something like that? I keep thinking it should be the UW or the WU. :D

I hope that those of us that depend on WB or UPN for MITM syndication get those rights picked up by the CW network next fall or we'll lose syndication. :(

reese35

Hopefully, when said event comes to pass, maybe they'll think about those cuts. For us MitM fans, it's dang well noticable. And yeah, it's the CW. Strange, I think about Sesame Workshop/Children's Television Workshop every time I think about the CW.

Kratos

reese35 said:
Hopefully, when said event comes to pass, maybe they'll think about those cuts. For us MitM fans, it's dang well noticable. And yeah, it's the CW. Strange, I think about Sesame Workshop/Children's Television Workshop every time I think about the CW.

I think the new name is kinda clever if my logic is right lol, I think its The CBS Warner network ;)

From the press release it seems to suggest they're currently planning on renewing "Smallville" and "Veronica Mars", which I like a lot (Veronica Mars needs its own thread :p !!!!) "One Tree Hill" along with "Charmed" is expected to finish this season too.

I'm going to disobey one of the elements of the vc constitution here and go slightly off topic. The US obsession with creating ridiulously long series/ seasons of programs. In the UK, the majority of both comedy and drama series are made up of 6 episodes (to which I have become acustomed to), therefore it seems slightly odd when watching a US show that they tend to consist of about 24 episodes. At times this is advantages, in the case of Friends, MITM, Seinfeld, Family Guy (the list goes on for a while). But, in the case of US drama, which I always personally find a tad to over the top and confused (at times become so over complicated it looses its plot) I think it can be detremental to quality. I guess the variance in the length of the series between the two of us is down mainly to the differing writing techniques (UK programs tend to have one or two writers, whereas US have a team), do you think the quality of programming is affected??

yardgames

Retired Administrator
How dare you go off-topic!! :D Actually, the "major" networks are technically limited to 22 episodes in a season of a given show. That's why MITM was like 24 eps in season 2 and 3. Fox became a "major" network in 2002, so after that MITM was limited in its season length.

Wemboy

Yeh i kind of agree with that. Maybe its to do with the length of the individual episodes, as i enjoy the longer seasons that we get with the sitcoms. But when it comes to dramas, i find that say, 22 hour long episodes can be a bit much. I've recently found myself becoming a bit bored of shows like Six Feet Under and The West Wing, both of which i have enjoyed very much in the past. It just seems that they are less consistently good, and also they have to create some slightly unbelievable storylines to keep up interest throughout each season.

On the other hand it may just be that they're both coming to the end of their runs, so the storylines are less interesting. But, look at a show like Shameless (a UK comedy drama), which is my current favourite. Although its not strictly a drama, the episodes are an hour long each, in this case the series consists of about 8 or 10 epsiodes, so when it finishes you're left wanting more. With some US dramas, i want to find out what happens next, but can't help but feel slightly relieved that the marathon run is over and i'll be getting that hour of my week back!

Certainly it would be almost impossible for a British writer working alone, as is the practice here, to create a series of 22 sitcom episodes. They'd be of very poor quality if they did anyway.

I personally feel the show which highlights my point the best, currently, is 'Lost', an extremely popular show, which I personally feel was ruined by the length of the season. Furthermore, the fact that we in UK were made aware of the fact a second season was being made prior to the showing of the first episode, removed any mystique concerning the matter of, 'will they get of the island'- i must admit I watched very little of this, so my knowledge is limited

Kratos

han_keep_smilin said:
Is it an american show beause i have never heard of it:D

Not sure if you know or not, cos I'm not sure what your talking about here...

But UPN and WB are two US Networks. Its not the same over here, but you could compare the BBC and ITV as networks also.

Veronica Mars = Currently in season 2 showing in the UK on Living TV. Its a type of show that appeals to a smaller fan base like MITM. It's got lots of space to grow so hope it sticks around. :) It's dealt with more abstract stories such as being gay and rejecting religion almost tottally in any of its plots, so its a bit iffy over in the States.

Charmed = Is on Five Sat nights but the same storylines and with two of the cast becoming the producers of the show has ruined the plot. So thats ending in the US soon.

Smallville = Shown on T4 and E4, naturally its popular in America cos of the big bangs and Christian undertones. It does semi well here, but its the US it matters most so expect a few more seasons out of that.

One Tree Hill = is a O.C knock off its kinda crap really the plots are forced in and doesnt have the same "real" life feel.

LOST = If you dont know what Lost is then WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!??? Season 2 starts in the UK in a month or so.

Shameless = Is a classic "drama" on Channel 4 set in a working class area, lots of sex jokes, I cant see it even leaving these shores :p it shows a VERY strong community, but not the traddiontional type so it's hit or miss at best.

The others I dont really watch or dont know enough about to make a fair comment.

reese35

And wouldn't you know, the new logo

CW.png

and website are up!

(slight correction - 7th Heaven WILL live to see another season on the CW.)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
If someone can find out for me, please try to find out if "WWE Friday Night Smackdown!" will still be airing. Thanks in advance if you find out for me!:)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Thanks alot, Reese35!:D I thought they were getting rid of Smackdown to make room for new shows.
By the way, anyone watch wrestling?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Unless CW is gonna air new MITM I guess I don't really care. :D Speaking of new networks, have any American people checked out either Fashion House or Desire on MNTV?