Stevie Kenarban

Malcolm

I was thinking that maybe Stevie isnt really handicapped. You know, some times happens that when parents are too overprotecting, the kid can develop "imaginary diseases". My parents are doctors and they say thats more common than most people thinks.
I mean, he needs a wheel chair and has a breathing problem at the same time! Besides, he is quite hypocondriacal.

I dunno, is just a theory, but I think we could see Stevie finally walking at the end of the series...

stevie.jpg

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'm not sure if you've seen the first season commentary, but according to Linwood, it was a made up disease just for Stevie. That's why it's never named.

But imersing myself back into the question, it could be that his parents are overprotective. In Good-Bye Kitty, we learn that he's made great strides even in his wheelchair, mainly due to Malcolm pushing him. I think he has very bad asthma, which explains why he can't breath too well, and maybe he's in his wheelchair because there's an oxygen deficit in the rest of his body. If this is the case, I doubt he would ever walk, because asthma isn't really something that you can take a pill and it's gone forever. But if the wheelchair problem isn't related to teh breathing, it is possible he could walk at some point.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Didn't Stevie reveal that he was missing part or all of a lung? That would explain the breathing problem. When my mom saw him once, she asked me if he had asthma, I said yes, and then she told me it looked like he was missing a lot of his lung. My mom is a nurse.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Oh yes, in Malcolm Dates a Family, Stevie says: "2 girlfriends, 2 families....I don't even have two lungs!"

That would explain the breathing. Maybe he just doesn't have the cardiac capacity to walk.

Jimmy Junior

malcolm said:
I was thinking that maybe Stevie isnt really handicapped. You know, some times happens that when parents are too overprotecting, the kid can develop "imaginary diseases". My parents are doctors and they say thats more common than most people thinks.
I mean, he needs a wheel chair and has a breathing problem at the same time! Besides, he is quite hypocondriacal.

I dunno, is just a theory, but I think we could see Stevie finally walking at the end of the series...

stevie.jpg
... You mean like Andy out of Little Britain?

I don't think Stevie will ever walk - in the episode where he and Malcolm faked a sleepover so they could go to the arcade, when he fell out of the shopping trolley he joked that he couldn't feel his legs, which may suggest he has some kind of spinal injury?

I agree it's probably not helped by his parents - he has so many air conditioning, allergen reducing, antibacterial devices around him there's no way he could build up any kind of immunity to anything.