Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Connect with Facebook

Go Back   Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community > Malcolm in the Middle > The Wilkerson Times

Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1
MITM_Fan

Default #1 Best MITM Episode?

In your opinion what's the best ever ep from MITM?

They're all great I can't say one that's better than others.

If I had to say one It'd be 01x16, I don't mind rewatching it, it's a great ep, but with Logain's quality it sucks so imma wait for my S01 box set which comes this week.

Just the bits I dislike about ep 01x16 is when Francis roles come in, playing pool with his superior.
MITM_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Richiepiep
Site Staff

Hi MITM_Fan,

I suppose you mean 'Water Park'?

Yes, that's a truly great one. I actually like the Francis bits a lot. The interplay between him and Spangler (Daniel Von Bargen is superb here) is great, and the final game, cut to Beck's song 'Mixed Bizness' is perfect!

I still prefer 'Rollerskates' though (1x13), with 'Water Park' a close second.

My ranking would be:

1. Rollerskates
2. Water Park
3. Bowling
4. Pilot
5. Red Dress
6. Funeral
7. Christmas
8. Dewey's Opera
9. Pearl Harbor
10. If Boys Were Girls

(I find it very hard to leave out of this list: New Neighbors, Dewey's Special Class, Traffic Ticket, Traffic Jam, Malcolm Babysits, Home Alone 4, Ida's Boyfriend, Reese Joins The Army, Cheerleader, Forwards Backwards etc.)

I think it shows that Season 1 still turns out to be my favourite!

Rich

Last edited by Richiepiep; Oct 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM.
Richiepiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Ryebeach

My favorites:

"Fowards Backwards" - Like "Bowling", I liked how the show came up with this clever (imo) way to present the episode.

"Pearl Harbor" - When I first watched this episode, I never laughed so hard as when Malcolm and Reese were dancing to ABBA. Probably my favorite scene of the series. And the family's reaction shot was priceless! Not only that, but knowing why Malcolm and Reese were attempting to be so nice to each other throughout combined with Reese's final line in the episode. A really well set-up episode. Didn't care for Hal's subplot, though.

"If Boys Were Girls" - You would think, a woman who has all boys for children would, at one point or another, wonder just how easier life would be if they were girls instead. I liked how Lois saw each situation in the episode how it actually happened and how it would presumably happen if her kids were girls. Really showcased Jane Kaczmarek's talent here and all the cast were used well. They squeezed a lot into this half hour, that's for sure and it paid off!

"Hal's Christmas Gift" - Lois' parking lot road rage incident was one of the most memorable (and hilarious!) scenes of the series but what I loved even more was her look and line to Reese after reciting the story to the family. "Not ONE word!" LOL! I also liked how Hal's lie spiraled out of control and led to the dark place of him stealing Malcolm's credit card.

"Lois Strikes Back" - Loved Lois defending Reese to those girls who played the prank on him. But loved even more the brutally honest scene between Reese and Lois near the end of the episode. It was rare we got to see Reese and Lois in a serious scene and for me, it worked!

"Reese Comes Home" - I enjoyed seeing how determined Lois was throughout this episode to finding Reese. She would, literally, stop at nothing to bring Reese home. And the final scene with Dewey and Malcolm clearly very sad that Reese was no longer around to their faces changing dramatically when they saw him and hugged him. A great moment in the series, imo. Touching and funny in a way only MITM could pull off credibly.

"Graduation" - I've read of many folks being disappointed with the series finale but I felt it was the perfect way for the series to end. All of the characters have shifted to a new place in their lives. Not necessarily where they expected or wanted to be but it's where they are. And it's left in such a way that you know each family member will always be there for one another through whatever hardships come in the future and that everyone is going to be alright. I liked the positive note the series ended on. To me, it was just right.
Ryebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
ChesterHarris

I'm surprised nobody has said 'Houseboat' yet, that has to be my all time favorite episode. I especially like the newly formed friendship between Stevie and Reese in this episode. Also I like the way Hal's character shines through when he buys Malcolm that fishing rod despite the fact that Malcolm refused to help Hal in the clothes shop.

Aside from that I love the episode with the giant catapult and the episode 'Hal's Christmas Present' I think it's called.

However, I do think that 'Graduation' was slightly disappointing. The episode as a whole was good but I feel that they could have done so much more with the ending sequence than they did.
ChesterHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:15 AM   #5
tjpeople
Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to tjpeople Send a message via AIM to tjpeople Send a message via MSN to tjpeople Send a message via Yahoo to tjpeople Send a message via Skype™ to tjpeople

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterHarris View Post
I'm surprised nobody has said 'Houseboat' yet, that has to be my all time favorite episode. I especially like the newly formed friendship between Stevie and Reese in this episode. Also I like the way Hal's character shines through when he buys Malcolm that fishing rod despite the fact that Malcolm refused to help Hal in the clothes shop.

Aside from that I love the episode with the giant catapult and the episode 'Hal's Christmas Present' I think it's called.

However, I do think that 'Graduation' was slightly disappointing. The episode as a whole was good but I feel that they could have done so much more with the ending sequence than they did.
Welcome Chester, we hope you enjoy your stay.

tjpeople is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:08 PM   #6
flipfreak4

My favourite of all time is "Bowling", just because I think the whole concept is genius "Shame" may possibly tie for first place.

But Reese Comes Home will always have a special place in my heart, if only for the 'hug' scene. And I actually love Lois' Sister, for that monologue Lois delivers in the hospital.

And, though some people appear to hate her, Cynthia is actually one of my favourite characters, so Cynthia's Back is pretty high up on my list too.

Oh, and "Convention"! I love that, too

I love how the title is "#1 Best Episode" and yet we all seem to be naming about 5 each We should do a bulk-vote for favourite episodes and come up with a top ten or something...

It's not lying if what you're saying would be true if the facts were different. (Hal in Tiki Lounge)
flipfreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Gill

'Rollerskate' and 'Bowling' were ties for first in my opinion. I saw them on the last week of December, what a way to end 2009! 'Rollerskate' was just fantastic and 'Bowling' was really funny. I can't really say anything about 'Graduation' since I still haven't seen it and FX went back to season 1, so I'll just have to wait.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:14 AM   #8
zachman93

I gotta say, Season 7 so far has struck me personally as incredibly good so far - up to Jessica Stays Over. Easily one of my new favourite episodes, because Reese and Hal were hilarious, but mostly because it contains the best acting I've seen Frankie do in a full season or two. Really believable expressions for once and some solid line delivery - and his interplay with Jane was really great, both from an acting perspective and a canonical one as his Malcolm.

It felt genuine - maybe the superb acting was a director queue to help strengthen this first-ever real Lois-Malcolm bonding? Either way, I can safely say that I'm now sure Frankie never lost his acting expressiveness - it seems to have just been waiting for the right episode.
zachman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:46 AM   #9
Richiepiep
Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterHarris View Post
I have to agree here. 'Houseboat' is one of my favourite eppies and I played it several times over and showed it to friends when I first watched it. Strange I didn't mention it.

Rich

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Richiepiep
Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachman93 View Post
I gotta say, Season 7 so far has struck me personally as incredibly good so far - up to Jessica Stays Over. Easily one of my new favourite episodes, because Reese and Hal were hilarious, but mostly because it contains the best acting I've seen Frankie do in a full season or two. Really believable expressions for once and some solid line delivery - and his interplay with Jane was really great, both from an acting perspective and a canonical one as his Malcolm.

It felt genuine - maybe the superb acting was a director queue to help strengthen this first-ever real Lois-Malcolm bonding? Either way, I can safely say that I'm now sure Frankie never lost his acting expressiveness - it seems to have just been waiting for the right episode.
Great review! I feel exactly the same way about Frankie's acting and Malcolm's bonding with Lois, and how Lois finally shows she can't handle her boys and keep up her idea of rigorous upbringing in S7. I thought that was a great theme, which allowed for more 'humanity' instead of treating screaming Lois and baffled, socially inept Malcolm as stock characters.

I felt Malcolm (and Frankie) got sidetracked in the course of the seasons to pay more attention to other characters, and how Frankie got reduced more or less to showing surprise and/or disgust at all the foolish things his relatives and friends did, without showing a development of character or an active role of his own.

I guess it's part of a routine creeping in and, yes, lack of direction and strong writing. As Bryan Cranston always says, it's mostly the writing that brings out the best in actors.

Rich

Beiß mein' Schorf, Blasenloch!

Last edited by Richiepiep; Jan 21, 2010 at 08:05 AM.