Favourite / Least Favourite Season

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I came across another MITM board tonight where the show was labelled a "declining has-been" during the 2004 season (Season 4) and another member labelled the 2nd and 3rd season "a sophomore season that made me stop watching, and a middling third year".

I disagree with both comments. Seasons 4 and 5 were not as good as the earlier seasons, and throughout Seasons 3 - 7 there were episodes and subplots I found to be less enjoyable, but the show was definitely not "has-been".

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I think 4 or 5 are my fav, I guess in some ways i enjoyed the teenage plots more than the kids ones.

What other MITM board do you refer to? :p

Amigo22

Super Moderator
It was called Home Theater forum - there's not even a MITM subforum there, just a few MITM-related discussion threads spread out among other TV shows. Mainly episode discussion from Season 6 - nothing we didn't / don't already do here. And like fifty thousand seasonal show schedule threads which is where I saw those comments.

rzombie1988

To me season 1 was the best bar-none. No real competition for me.

The worst was season 5. I did not like the stuff with Jamie, or the stuff with the special class members.

I did like season 2 alot also. It had a similar feel to season 1, and probably had me waiting on it more than anything else. FOX also had not completely bailed on it by this time.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I think the later seasons were the best (4-7). I liked the boys when they were older (especially Dewey; his character became pretty cool later on). The earlier seasons were good, too. Just not on par with the later seasons, IMO.
IF I had to pick my least favorite, it would be season 1...and even it is really good (better than most stuff on tv today).

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Yeah, it was interesting watching Dewey's character development as he got older. Malcolm, on the other hand, apart from his appearance he didn't change much, he was still just as unhappy if not more. Although in the later seasons he was standing up to Lois more, although she always had a combeack to his arguments.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Lois always seemed to "own" Malcolm in every argument that they had. :D
Anyway, Malcolm, to be honest, got on my nerves alot. Don't get me wrong, I still like his character. He just whined a little too much for me. :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
My problem is that I got attached the Malcolm charector so I felt his pain, so I liked him happy, but then that would have just been boring! :p

D

Deleted member 1693

Same here. There would be no plot if the family were happy. Conflict is the drive of the show!

Amigo22

Super Moderator
True. Some of their arguments were pretty hilarious - one of my favourites being in Malcolm Babysits where Lois was throwing random clothes out the window and Hal goes "you're throwing out stuff that's not even mine" :D

D

Deleted member 1693

Hah. I don't remember that one.

I personally loved the whole arguement about the large bed that occurred throughout Dewey's Opera.

MalcolmFun

Malcolm tends to lose arguments because he doesnt understand that the social world is not really rational. I love the episodes like Halloween when he tries to explain to Hal the world is rational, or when they go to the baseball convention and and he tries to explain there is no such thing as a lucky shirt or in Evactuation or Malcolm's job when he tries to redefine the mother/son relationship using adult logic. I identify with Malcolm on this and we are both out of luck because the social world simply doesnt funtion based on rationality it is based on emotion.