Malcolm has been cancelled !

Tyno

Malcolm-France
[aimage=left]fox.jpg[/aimage]Bad, bad news... The 7th season will be the last for Malcolm in the Middle. Indeed, the Fox has just announced that the show was cancelled. The Series Finale will be aired May 14th. :(

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Awww, man. That sucks. :( I was kind of expecting it though so it's not too much of a shock. At least it will go out on a fairly high note. I think this season has been better than the last. It was great while it lasted! :( Thanks for the info. Moving to news and announcements.

simon_4420

I'm not upset about this, I was kind of hoping this would be the last Season. I know that sounds bad, so let me explain.

I would really hate to see the show that I love become something that I can't stand to watch anymore. Season 7 (from what I've watched) is going so well and I would be much happier if MITM went out still being a hit show, rather than something that just drags until eventually its pulled in the middle of a series. When you think about it, it's good for the cast too. Each one of them has got lots out of MITM and I bet they are kind of relieved at FOX's decision to cancel the show, as they can now look back at watch they have created and venture into new projects (which they kind of are).

Also out of the 7 seasons (so far) there has been lots of storys lines and events happening to each of the characters. Should they have got another season I would imagine we would start to see things repeated, just with different characters. That would just make the show harder to watch and still enjoy it.

I have to admit that even though I had expected it and kind of wanted it to end, I am abit sad. I just hope they hurry up and bring out a boxset soon after season 7 ends. And I hope they end season 7 really well!:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
OH MY GOD You scared me here!!!! I thought you meant it was canceled and Bride of Ida was the last episode we would ever see. Woo, ok over that now. :D I too have been assuming that season seven is the last for MITM. I guess it's probably for the best, but it's still sad. Never again will we have the thrilling season premiere after a 4 month hiatus. I'm certainly going to miss it, but I think there's lots we can all still take away from it. And I'm glad to have found other people who are just as big of fans of series as I am. (meaning all of you who post here everyday. :))

Just because new shows are done doesn't mean the show will just end, either. We'll have, what, 150 episodes (?) that we can watch and enjoy for the rest of our lives. Sooner or later, they'll release the DVDs. :D (we can hope.) The last episode is going to be a very, very sad evening.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
yardgames said:
I guess it's probably for the best, but it's still sad. Never again will we have the thrilling season premiere after a 4 month hiatus. I'm certainly going to miss it, but I think there's lots we can all still take away from it. And I'm glad to have found other people who are just as big of fans of series as I am. (meaning all of you who post here everyday. :))

Just because new shows are done doesn't mean the show will just end, either. We'll have, what, 150 episodes (?) that we can watch and enjoy for the rest of our lives. Sooner or later, they'll release the DVDs. :D (we can hope.) The last episode is going to be a very, very sad evening.

Damnit Sam, don't go getting all sentimental on me. I'm going to be really mad if you all make me cry on May 14. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'm sure we'll all be crying on May 14th. :D It's like, I've been guessing since late season 4 or season 5 that seven would be it. And it's been a great run--the best show that ever has been or will be on TV. But, still, it's like, when you know for sure it's ending. There's a strange sense of nastalgia.

I think on May 14 I'm going to have an MITM marathon. Actually I'll prolly need all weekend, beginning Friday night. I'll watch every single episode and conclude with the finale. (actually, it would take approximately 54.6 hours to do that. Almost 2 and a half days. Maybe I won't do that after all.)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
And I'm sorry, but it is just goofy to have two threads discussing the exact same thing, except one is closed. I'm going to merge David's press release with this thread. Especially since they're both in News and Announcements. :)

admin

Retired Administrator
The point of mine was an important sticky with an actual press release which appears on the front page of our website. Tut tut.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yeah, yeah, tut, tut. Tyno's was already on the front page, and his gets more to the point anyhow. You read the concise info, then see Fox's long pretty version. Works great.

You undermine my moderation. Sometimes you're so weird David. :)

reese35

We all had a feeling it was coming. All we can do is pray that
  1. It gets the send-off it deserves for seven glorious seasons, and
  2. that the damn music rights get settled and we can finally get the DVDs we deserve. If there's one thing I won't live with after Mal's demise, it's second-rate episodes!
Anyway, all I can say is, God bless Malcolm in the Middle.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
yardgames said:
OH MY GOD You scared me here!!!! I thought you meant it was canceled and Bride of Ida was the last episode we would ever see.

That's what I thought too from the thread title. Indeed it sucks that this is the last season, but we were all expecting it to be the last, and at least it's official now.

If they were to have more Seasons, though, they'd have to create whole new subplots for Malcolm and Reese, with it being their last year in High School this season - Malcolm would go to College so he would not be at home any more, and I don't know what they'd do with Reese. And then there's Jamie - it's a shame we won't get to see his character develop and him get subplots of his own. Because that would have been interesting, especially with the show being one subplot short with Francis having been written out except for the occasional episodes he appears in. Plus, the actors are getting older too, and the producers would have to take into account things like Dewey's voice breaking.

I have really enjoyed MITM and I will still continue to watch the episodes I've got after the show finishes. The show has done really well to make it this far, and it's great that it will end while it is still entertaining to watch. It will be interesting to see what they do for the Season Finale.

rzombie1988

This is horrible news.

Malcolm deserves to be kept on tv. MITM is THE best show on tv today. Theres not even anything that comes close to it.

For me MITM is more than just another show to me. It's a show I can relate to and even though it has outrageous stuff, it still makes more sense to me than other shows. I think there are so many more things that could be done with this show even though the actors are getting older. To me, it doesn't matter if the people on MITM are grown up or not, just the whole point of the show in general could go on forever if they wanted. It's really just not fair.

What are we going to do when MITM finally ends?:( :( :(

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
yardgames said:
Tyno's was already on the front page, and his gets more to the point anyhow. You read the concise info, then see Fox's long pretty version. Works great.
I put this one in News and Announcements. Move it back to the Wilkerson Times if it bothers you having two similar threads here. :)

I kinda see David's point though. He wants his thread to stay stickied to the top as general info for visitors after this one gets pushed down when the hype is over. Plus that's just info, this is discussion. Not that I'm questioning your amazing mod skills or anything. What do I know? :D

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Well, one thing to say : the Series Finale better to be great ! :D
The 7th season is very good, so I hope that the last episode (a double-episode I guess) will be as great as the rest of the season (and the show ?).

MITM18

"malcolm In The Middle" Comes To An End After Seven Seasons

The award-winning comedy MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE, currently in its seventh season, will celebrate its series finale Sunday, May 14 on FOX. The penultimate episode will mark the series' milestone 150th.

MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE premiered Jan. 9, 2000, and catapulted this dysfunctional family into television history. The show, cast and crew went on to receive countless awards, nominations and accolades, including the prestigious Peabody Award, six Emmy Awards and a Grammy.

"FOX is proud to have been the home of this groundbreaking comedy," said Peter Liguori, President, Entertainment for FOX. "From its innovative production values to its exceptional writers and cast, this series has helped shape the modern sitcom. We'll miss this hilariously loud and manic - yet somehow relatable and admirable - family."

MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE revolves around five brothers hell-bent on causing trouble for their parents. Middle child MALCOLM (Frankie Muniz) is a regular high school kid trying to navigate his way through his home life and social life. Although Malcolm has a genius IQ, he can't seem to make sense of his family, which includes his outspoken, opinionated mom LOIS (Jane Kaczmarek); his dad HAL (Bryan Cranston), who's just a bumbling, big kid at heart; deviant brother REESE (Justin Berfield), who has a penchant for cooking up trouble; FRANCIS (Chris Masterson), the oldest brother, who's willing to move anywhere - as long as it keeps him from moving home; covertly sly DEWEY (Erik Per Sullivan); and toddler JAMIE (Lukas and James Rodriguez), the youngest member - and scapegoat - of the family.

MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE continues to feature the signature elements that made it a hit, including talking to viewers, single-camera lunacy, flashbacks and no laugh track. Over the years, the series has hosted numerous award-winning guest stars, including Cloris Leachman, Bea Arthur, Susan Sarandon, Bradley Whitford, Rosanna Arquette, Heidi Klum, Magic Johnson, Christina Ricci, Howie Long, Terry Bradshaw, Jason Alexander and Jesse Jackson.

MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE is a Regency Television production created by Linwood Boomer and executive-produced by Matthew Carlson. Gary Murphy, Michael Glouberman, Alex Reid, Rob Ulin, Eric Kaplan and Jay Kogen serve as co-executive producers and Linwood Boomer serves as a consultant.

reese35

Well, no one can say it won't be a triple-episode, like "Reese Joins the Army"/"Reese Comes Home." Only then, it was a 5th season cliffhanger, 6th season return.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Sorry MITM18 your too late, thats allready posted!

I had the same shock as sam - i was happy or not so happy more like on the edge of my seat wathcing the 3 ep of new 24 and up popped an email with the title fox cancels malcolm. and i thought the worst! it had crossed my mind they they potentially could, but would not have thought they would mid season - but its been done.

Sad but not unexpected.

1 question im sure off how far in advcane do they film episodes?