Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Thread: Kenneth Mars (Otto) Dies at 75

Hybrid View

Default Kenneth Mars (Otto) Dies at 75

Front Page Post

Kenneth Mars, who played Otto Manküsser in Malcolm in the Middle, has died at the age of 75 at his home in Grenada Hills. According to the Washington Examiner, a statement from his family said he died of pancreatic cancer on Saturday 12th February 2011.

We of course know Kenneth as Otto, Francis' boss at the ranch ('The Grotto') in seasons 4 and 5 of Malcolm in the Middle, where he played alongside Meagan Fay as Otto's wife Gretchen. Mars also played in Mel Brooks' films The Producers and Young Frankenstein, where he developed his style for his somewhat over-the-top German accent. He also made appearances in LA Law and Diagnosis Murder and provided many voices for animations on TV and on film, including The Little Mermaid and The Land Before Time.

Kenneth Mars -- 1935 - 2011

Mars is survived by his two daughters, Susannah Mars Johnson and Rebecca Mars Tipton and has six grandchildren.

Source: BBC News, Washington Examiner

That is so sad to hear and 75 isn't very old.

It is indeed very sad.

I always enjoyed Mars as his character Otto in MITM -- and the ranch storylines in my opinion were some of the best Francis 'B-stories'.

Very sad to hear that also and God Bless him. He was great on MITM. Thank you for posting this.

Really sad news, 75 is young these days.
    Need help? Email Me Here

Sad to hear. I think he was great on MITM. I don't know any of his other work but the role of Otto was very funny.

Lucky Aide...or the southern US. Either one.

He definately brought joy to the show--I wish his comedy could have continued throughout the last few seasons as well, the grotto was the best place for Francis!

I'm glad that he is being honored, he was an excellent actor who put charm into even the simplest of roles.

It is sad to see him go and I am sure that he will be missed and i agree with PeterU, Francis was great at the Grotto. On a lighter note, I think it is cool that one of the birds in Franz Liebkind was named Otto.
    Dewey = Major Swag
    Dewey > Garden Gnome