Any update on Malcolm in the Middle DVDs?

Jo9

Its probably been said enough times on this forum but i was just wondering how come we are on season 7 now and theres only one dvd (Season 1) out of MITM? Are they going to release anymore?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Re: Dvds?

They would like to but it has not be confirmed for reases because they cannot work out the rights for the music used and therefore cant release dvd's. Im not and expert other on here may know more details.

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: Dvds?

Malcolm in the Middle - Season 2 (plus Other Shows) Hamstrung by Music Clearances said:
After the quick post-broadcast release of the first season of Malcolm In The Middle, Fox Home Entertainment looked forward to releasing The Complete Second Season on DVD as well. In fact, plans were originally made to have that set in consumer hands before 2003 was over.

So why the delay? The answer is given by Randy Salas, DVD Columnist and Entertainment Wire Editor at the Minneapolis Star Tribune. In his new article today, "Facing The Music: Legal Hurdles Can Keep TV Shows From Coming Out On DVD", Salas explains that music rights costs can affect more recent shows than WKRP In Cincinnati or Beverly Hill 90210:
  • 'Malcolm' in a muddle

Even current shows can be problematic. Last year, Fox released a three-disc set of the first season of "Malcolm in the Middle," a show that debuted in 2000. The set sold well enough to merit a second-season release, but higher costs to clear the music have so far scuttled the project, (Fox Senior V.P. Peter) Staddon said.
The article discusses how only the most recent TV series took into account the idea of clearing music for DVD and other home video uses at the same time as clearing it for broadcast, and that anything previous to a few years ago (the start of DVD's mass-market era) can run into this kind of trouble. "When they were creating these shows, they didn't pay for stuff they weren't going to use," TVShowsOnDVD owner Gord Lacey is quoted as saying. "Now it's coming back to bite them."

The problem is when FOX bought the music rights for broadcast they didn't think of buying them for home viewing on DVD/VHS as well! :D This article is from 2003, but it apperas the situation hasn't changed greatly in the past 2 or 3 years.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
So finally in december, the first season of malcolm in the middle will be published in germany, too. And Kinowelt, the compay which is responsible for the German release, said, that they plan to publish also further seasons (they talk about seasons 2 + 3), although they aren't published in the US yet. Kinowelt says that those music rights problems didn't exist here. And that makes me very glad...:) :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I wasn't aware of that. You should place a prominent link to that somewhere; it's a handy page. Can you make a sticky or announcement in the top of the Wilkerson Times?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
ill do some questions when i have time. @ SAM Isnt the FAQ link at the top enought?

osoq

Anybody know if then that since season 7 started have they also been buying music rights for DVD in the current episodes?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I assume so, but we can't be sure. :D The last I read, they began paying attention to it with the beginning of season 5, so 5, 6, and 7 (when it's done airing) should be cleared for DVDs.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
@malcolm_lover: They delayed it again!:mad:
2 weeks or something before it was planned to be published they canceled the date, and there is no further news. That's pretty weak...

Tyno

Malcolm-France
The first season has been delayed to the December 31st, 2006 in Germany...
We had some news a few months ago for the french DVD release (at Malcolm-France.com) and the States too, like a 2nd season release in this January, but clearly, my 20th Century Fox's contact was wrong. I'll get you news when I'll have some ! ;)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
But this date (december 31) is just an alibi date. Very often the companys announce december 31 as a publish date when they don't know anything at all...

simon_4420

Europe sucks! I had to order the first season off amazon, but it's not coming until end of Jan/ beginning of Feb as I wouldn't pay those pirates extra to ship it a few days quicker. They wanted like $20 more, I don't know how much that works out to be, but I sure wasn't falling for that, Oh no!

admin

Retired Administrator
simon_4420 said:
Europe sucks! I had to order the first season off amazon, but it's not coming until end of Jan/ beginning of Feb as I wouldn't pay those pirates extra to ship it a few days quicker. They wanted like $20 more, I don't know how much that works out to be, but I sure wasn't falling for that, Oh no!

If you hadn't already order it, I would have recommended Loaded247.com its free delivery and comes within a few days. Plus its only £19.99 - thats how much i bought it for.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Malcolm_Lover<3 said:
Dabney this really sucks.....:(
Tyno that's really long... and yes plz post more news when you have news:) thx!
Malcolm-Lover, I'd appreciate it if you could use correct grammar rather than txt speek, please, to make the forums easier to understand, especially for our non-native English speaking members. Thanks. :)

simon_4420

admin said:
If you hadn't already order it, I would have recommended Loaded247.com its free delivery and comes within a few days. Plus its only £19.99 - thats how much i bought it for.

Ohh, shame I didn't know about that...lol. Nevermind, I think when I checked my bank statement that it only cost me a few more pounds. Thanks anyway Admin:)