Flashbacks

samboo1

MOD EDIT: The thread 'Scene in stilts' was split, bacause Flashbacks in genaral have little to do with the actual episode.

Oh right, because it looks like it was since everyone is young on it. How would they of done that? (thanks j. by the way!)

:confused: :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Re: Scene in stilts...

They just get a bunch of young kids, put make up on them to make them look a little like the characters.

allison

The scenes where you see Malcolm, Reese and Dewey are from Smunday, when Richie and the others searched for the letter. But the scene where Lois and Francis are arguing isn´t from an episode.

samboo1

Right....I thought it looked a lot like the boys if they used little kids and put make up on them.:cool:

Emrysgirl

reese35 said:
Unseen footage, no doubt.
No, as Tessa pointed out, it was actually in another ep - Smunday...they just changed the context. And the Francis part was brand new.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

But back on topic, even though the footage was recycled, the way they were able to do that and interweave it so well was ingenious.

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
But back on topic, even though the footage was recycled, the way they were able to do that and interweave it so well was ingenious.
I agree, if the cast had to go back and creat a flashback from that time, there is no way the audience would by it with the same actors as they have changed to much. They could have used different actors for that flashback but it would have seemed out of place for the time period the scene was taking place in. It would have had to be totally rewritten otherwise. It was very clever and also made for a more believeable scene to use footage from a previous episode and put it into a newly created flashback with Francis.

MITM97

I have a question that is related to the subject in this thread. In the episode stilts 6×20 there is a scene when Dewey thinks Jamie found the stash and a scene cuts to the boys when they where younger and Francis has a wig on and he`s yelling at Lois saying she will never find the stash,does anybody know what episode these suppossed flashbacks are from. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hi there,

Good question! This has actually been dealt with before, so I'll be moving your question to another, more fitting thread.

The scenes with Malcolm, Reese and Dewey on the couch are from the episode 'Smunday' (1x15), and they cleverly added the new shots of Francis with the wig on, arguing with Lois, to the old scenes, to make them look like one sequence.

Screenshot from Smunday in our Gallery:

Malcolm_In_The_Middle01611.jpg

I wish they could have done that with more flashbacks, but I guess most flashbacks show the boys being far more active (mostly mischievous ;)) and involved in the plot, so they had to resort to other, younger actors looking a bit like them.

Rich

Last edited:

MITM97

Thanks!

Hi there,
Good question! This has actually been dealt with before, so I'll be moving your question to another, more fitting thread.

The scenes with Malcolm, Reese and Dewey on the couch are from the episode 'Smunday' (1x15), and they cleverly added the new shots of Francis with the wig on, arguing with Lois, to the old scenes, to make them look like one sequence.

Screenshot from Smunday in our Gallery:

View attachment 1004

I wish they could have done that with more flashbacks, but I guess most flashbacks show the boys being far more active (mostly mischievous ;)) and involved in the plot, so they had to resort to other, younger actors looking a bit like them.

Rich
Thanks for the info!