TV Around the World (Split from Its a girl! Thread)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Re: Its a girl!

@david well does Montana care about Florida's local news? The United States is a lot bigger than Britain.

Basically, we have four so-called "major" networks: ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. In most major cities around the country, each of these networks has a so-called "local affiliate" which airs the major network's primetime and daytime shows, in addition to national news, but the local affiliates produce their own local newscast, as well.

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: Its a girl!

We have a much simpler system here, which basically means that local content is probably only 1 or 2 programmes a day, 99% of the time that being the local news.

Regionalisation only occurs on 3 channels, the rest are all national. We have four main networks BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five. There are also other minor ones...

We are going a bit off topic here, many we should make a new thread - all this stuff is quite interesting :D

Its nicer in the US as we have more variety and more choices.

Though I cant speak form experience of US TV, I don't think that is necessarily true, in the UK, you can get sky or digital tv, increasing the number of channels, dependant on the price you pay- however, though you would expect this greater variety, you often find the best programmes are still on the so called terrestrial channels (BB1 & 2, ITV, Channel 4, Five). Often the content shown on other channels is of a relativley low standard. Therefore I feell the fact that there are fewer 'mainstream' terrestrial channels, tends to enhance the quality of content (with the exception of reality tv- which must end soon!!!).

Emrysgirl

MITM18 said:
Its nicer in the US as we have more variety and more choices.
correction: used to have

3 CSI, 4 Law and Order, 2 The Apprentice? Not to mention all the other crime shows. And of course the previously discussed (in other threads) dysfunctional family trend. That's hardly variety.

admin

Retired Administrator
You have to remember that their is finite advertising income. When there is only one commercial channel they will gain all the money to make "quality" tv, but now there are hundreds of commercial channels all spreading out advertisers money. Some channels in the UK only have about 4 hours programme a day continually repeated - others just show repeats from the big 5 and others just purchase US imports that the big 5 don't want anymore...

I think its nice to see repeats from the 70s, as obviously they aren't repeats to me, but my parents are always complaining! :D

Emrysgirl

admin said:
I think its nice to see repeats from the 70s, as obviously they aren't repeats to me, but my parents are always complaining! :D
I love repeats regardless. That's why I watch so much WB11. That way you (hopefully) factor out the worst of the shows.

packer-backer

I love U.S. television. Theres always something good on and every weeknight theres lots of sitcoms on like, king of queens, Malcolm In the Middle, Seinfeld, That 70's Show, and Everybody Loves Raymond.