Monty Python

MITM18

Anyone here a Monty Python fan whether its their Flying Circus or their films?

I love them, very funny.

Jimmy Junior

I'm a great Monty Python fan, if fact, I was watching it tonight!
Me and my mate came to the conclusion that while it was hilarious and revolutionary at the time, it would still funny by today's standards becuase it was set in the 70s; if a comedy sketch show were made today with the same jokes and set in modern times, it just wouldn't be as funny because stereotypical images have been broken down (if you need a better explanation, just ask).

Emrysgirl

I'm sure you'll find a lot of people. I'm a fan as well. I love the movies and the series. My favorite movie is of course The Holy Grail. My favorite sketch is probably Hell's Granies, but there are many close contendors.

I think their success was time dependant, but for multiple reasons.

1) b/c it's a very wacky/random show (like MitM and Arrested Development only to a greater extent). These kinds of shows usually cater to a very select audience (also explains AD's low ratings). Most just dismiss these as nonsensical (spelling?) and immature. But it happened to be recognized in the 70's b/c it was irreverant.

2) b/c of what Jimmy Junior said.

3) I had another reason but I forgot it:eek: .

But while the irreverancy factored into the success, it wouldn't have gotten anywhere if they hadn't been pure geniouses (well, John Cleese, Graham Chapman and Eric Idle (in that order); I don't know much about the rest of them).

I don't think we can say that for any modern show, including (I'm sorry) MitM. Perhaps the medium has shifted. In some book of his (maybe one of the pieces in The Salmon of Doubt), Douglas Adams said that you could almost see the baton of greatness being handed down from The Beatles to Monty Python. I would extend this line to include him. So, so far, we've gone from music to video to books. Maybe we should be looking elsewhere.

Jimmy Junior

... Following on from that, I think the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a classic display of 'Pythonesque' humur - it's just so ridiculous!

Emrysgirl

Jimmy Junior said:
... Following on from that, I think the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a classic display of 'Pythonesque' humur - it's just so ridiculous!
Exactly. And there are connections. DNA worked with Graham Chapman on a TV show (which never got beyond the Pilot btw). And he had some relation to other Monty Python members as well.