Malcolm and the Camera

MalcolmFun

Just to generalize, whenever Malcolm is actually revealing his thoughts by talking to the camera this is usually funny. I think that is the whole purpose of this plot device and that it is when it is funny.

There are some times when the writers deviate from this and did some pointless sort of traditional narration about what is happening. I recall this at the begining of Lois's Birthday. Malcolm pointlessly says to the camera they are at Lucky Aid to buy a present just a few second before Lois explains she is giving them money to buy a present.

In later seasons I think they got this down pat to only talk to the camera when it is funny and that is why it seems he talks to the camera less in later seasons.

D

Deleted member 1693

Nice theory. It's true. As they say all too many times, "show" don't "tell".

But if it's funny dialogue then "telling" doesn't matter as much. :p

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Malcolm talked to the camera less in the later seasons because the show started focussing on the whole family, not just himself.

Evil King

F.A.Q Freak
In the more recent seasons of MITM, instead of common references of his thoughts, they were turned into rare references where when he did speak, it meant something bigger, and not only based on him, but on his whole family.

Since like most people said, the later seasons weren't mainly based on Malcolm and how he dealt with his family, but also based on the individual problems of the family members. He was never meant to narrate what was going on, but to explain his own feelings, and as his families feelings also became a priority over time, there was less need for him to talk as it wasn't only about him any more.

In fact, if season 7 (for example) was the first season, I am pretty sure the show wouldn't have been called 'Malcolm in the Middle'.

Last edited:

smlime16

So this thread seems kind of dead, but I am going to attempt to revive it.

I myself miss Malcolm's interaction with the camera. It gave the show a raw feeling and consequently made it more focused of Malcolm, more personal, and more comical. I understand that they no longer did it as much because the show had evolved from being just about Malcolm, but it is almost a back and forth reaction. By not giving Malcolm connection to the audience, they were making his part smaller, which meant he would have less to say to the audience.