Teenage girls in MITM

bluecobweb

This is a really interesting post. Most girls are not like the girls in MitM, especially in the Houseboat episode! Maybe teenage boys do perceive girls that way, but that's sort of unfair since teenage boys are portrayed how they really are. (Malcolm, Reese, and Dewey are A LOT cooler than boys in real life however.) But maybe girls really would be like that If the Boys Were Girls. Everyone in MitM is exaggerated, but it still seems like the family is the most real. Girls are not that mean and manipulative, but maybe the boys are insecure and feel those girls would want to be with them. Lois is a powerful character.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Interesting thread to dig out of the archives. If you don't mind my asking, are you male or female yourself?

It's seems to me that this isn't a question of perception or exaggeration at all. I don't think Malcolm, Reese, or Dewey are considered "cool" by most of their peers and these are the only type of girls that they can attract in the first place.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
If you ask me, if the show went on, Dewey would be the first of the boys(since Francis) to be lucky with girls. Dewey just has that attitude to him that girls would be attracted to.:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I agree Tony, I think that if the show went on a few more years, Dewey would be poplular with girls and with everyone in general. He's smart, fairly outgoing, easy to get along with and funny--all qualities that girls look for (speaking from a girl's POV. :D ) We already saw him get a girlfriend (though briefly) in Malcolm Defends Reese. It would have been interesting to see if he would have started becomming popular in school in the last couple of seasons had he not been placed in the Buseys class.

As for the girls in MITM, I think most of them are pretty normal--except the girls from House Boat and, of course, Jessica. Thank goodness that there aren't many girls like Jessica around! :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Speaking from a guy's perspective, I thought Allison was normal enough--except for the fact that she started dating Reese as soon as she broke up with Malcolm.

bluecobweb

I am a girl and I admit I was biased against boys in my response. :) I agree that the female characters in MitM are the only ones who would be with Malcolm and Reese, seeing that they're not exactly the nicest or smartest. I lack good words to describe them-- even though they might be nice on the inside their peers don't see them that way. In Cheerleader I thought Wendy was a nice person, but Reese was too insecure to tell her at first. But I'm pretty sure girls like Beth aren't the majority. But what do I know about teenage relationships anyway? :eek: Though I can picture guys like Malcolm and Reese being with manipulative girls like Beth in real life.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't think Beth was manipulative and I think taht scenario, minus the birds and the running away to join the army, is perfectly reasonable in a house with multiple teenage brothers.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
It is reasonable to expect something like that to happen with brothers who are close in age, but it was still a really dirty thing for her to do. If she was interested in Malcolm, she should have just been straighforward with Reese from the beginning rather than going behind his back and having him find out the way he did. She wasn't really manipulative about it though, just sneaky. And it was terrible of Malcolm to go along with it knowing how Reese felt about her. I suppose that sort of thing goes on all the time between brothers, sisters and even best friends, but it still makes me mad when stuff like that happens to people. :mad:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yeah, unfortunately it's normal and happens all the time. It's still really wrong and really mean though.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Not trying to get anyone upset, but did the girls on MITM ever play a big part in any of the stories? Only a few episodes come to mind when I think of teen girls playing a big part in the plot("Cheerleader", "Reese joins the Army", "Forbidden Girlfriend"). Does anyone think that girls should have played a bigger part in the show?
And believe me, I would not have minded at all if girls were on the show more.:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I didn't really care for the girls in most of the episodes where the boys were involved with someone. Like others have mentioned, so most of the girls that they associated with were either mean and manipulative, really shallow, or just plain annoying. :D Maybe it's just because the girlfriends were only in a few episodes so we never got to know any of them well enough. Either way, I prefer to see the boys intereact amongst themselves. Personally, I'm glad there weren't many girlfriend episodes.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I disagree on that point. I would have liked to have seen more girlfriend eps(especially if they could have put in a couple for Dewey in season 7).
And the only girlfriend that comes to mind that wasn't manipulative was Wendy from "Cheerleader". She was actually nice.:)
And I have to admit that girl is hot.:D ;) :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Is the only reason that you would have liked to see more girlfriend episodes because the girls are hot? Can we focus more on plots and less on looks? Heck, we don't even know what you look like. :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Well, excuuuuse me.:D
Lol, no, hot girls are the not the only reason I would have liked to have seen more girlfriend episodes(even though hot girls DO play a big part in it;) :D ). It's just to me(and I know Im taking the less popular position here), the girlfriend episodes that were on MITM were actually really good. Like "Cheerleader", for instance. That episode is actually currently rated as one of the lowest, which I think is bullcrap. That was an extremely funny episode and a highlight of season 1 for me. And it was a "girlfriend" episode.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I enjoyed Cheerleader, but my least favorite episode of the series had to be Houseboat. When you got the hot girls, the point of the plot shifts to sexuality. And while that can be intriguing to look at :)D) it makes for less entertaining TV. If you want to see hot girls, go watch Baywatch. :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
And if you read my post right before yours, I stated why I like the girlfriend episodes. Unlike most people on here, I thought most of the girlfriend eps. were really funny(such as "Cheerleader").

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
For the love of...
NO! I found the girlfriend eps. funny because they were just that...funny! I can't help but laugh my butt off at "Cheerleader" for a number of reasons, being:
1. It was unbelieveable to see Reese join the cheerleading squad!:D
2. It was equally unbelieveable and VERY funny to see Reese do those cheers(I still laugh when I think of the part where they all go, "What? What? What? What? A Wha Wha Wha Wha We got spirit!" If you look at Reese, he looks so stupid trying to do those cheers!:D ).
3. (a break from the original plot) Dewey had a funny plot with that plush elephant(what was it, a Herbie doll?). It was so funny when the elephant told Dewey,"If you don't buy me, you'll die!":D

Anyways, just because I think the girls are hot doesn't mean that's the only reason I like the episode. This goes not only for "Cheerleader", but for all the other girlfriend eps. as well.
Speaking of the other girlfriend eps, I HAVE to talk about "Malcolm Defends Reese". This one was significant because it was Dewey's first girlfriend episode and it was downright funny as well!:) My favorite part of that entire episode was when Hal was trying to get Tina to get in the car and he was offering her "better candy" that wouldn't make her break out. The neighbors all though Hal was a pedophile, and that cop arrests Hal and Hal says, "Dont you remember your first love?!":D That made me laugh so hard it was unbelieveable! I still don't know why Hal said that to a cop.:D
Anyways, sorry for babbling on, but I had to explain myself.:)