Bots and the bees

Jimmy Junior

Maybe he had a 'bee chamber' inside the robot which he dropped a swarm of bees into, then they were fired out using some kind of compressed gas; or maybe I'm reading too much into this :-D

Emrysgirl

maybe he found a bee hive and then closed the chamber around it i.e. he slips the chamber over the hive from underneath and then closes it with the lid.

Jimmy Junior

Possibly, but the trouble with that would be that all the honeycomb slides would go in the robot as well, taking up valuable space.

Malcolm

I think the only way the bees would enter the robot by themselves, is the queen being already INSIDE. Bees follow their queens wherever they go (usually, they dont go anywhere, they stay in the hive).
But, then, how did Hal "convinced" the queen to enter the robot? :confused:
Or maybe he just filled it up with honey?:confused: :confused:

Jimmy Junior

That's mostly true, but when a new queen is born the old queen will leave the hive with a load of other bees to find a new hive. When they get tired they'll stop for a 'rest' by hanging from a tree in a 'ball' formation. At this point it is possible to carefully shake the whole swarm of bees into a container, which is how beekeepers introduce a swarm to a hive.

My Dad used to keep them - I haven't just been reading up on the subject ;-)

Malcolm

Wow thats very interesting! I have spend my whole life reading about animals, but I didnt knew that.

I knew that usually, there are several "potential queens" in a hive; larvaes that are feed with a special substance or something like that.
Then they all become adults, but since the hive only can have one queen, the first queen born attacks and kills the others.
Please, correct me if Im wrong;)

Anyway, I remember one episode when Hal founds an insect colony in the house and he is very scared and goes crazy. He was also afraid of a spider. So, if he is so afraid of bugs... it is not a little weird that he dared to catch hundreds of bees, probably one of the most dangerous insects of them all?
... but, wait... he hadnt sleep for a long time, right? Maybe he was just crazy when he did that...