#1 Best MITM Episode?

MITM_Fan

In your opinion what's the best ever ep from MITM?

They're all great I can't say one that's better than others.

If I had to say one It'd be 01x16, I don't mind rewatching it, it's a great ep, but with Logain's quality it sucks so imma wait for my S01 box set which comes this week. :)

Just the bits I dislike about ep 01x16 is when Francis roles come in, playing pool with his superior.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Hi MITM_Fan,

I suppose you mean 'Water Park'? :p

Yes, that's a truly great one. I actually like the Francis bits a lot. The interplay between him and Spangler (Daniel Von Bargen is superb here) is great, and the final game, cut to Beck's song 'Mixed Bizness' is perfect!

I still prefer 'Rollerskates' though (1x13), with 'Water Park' a close second.

My ranking would be:

1. Rollerskates
2. Water Park
3. Bowling
4. Pilot
5. Red Dress
6. Funeral
7. Christmas
8. Dewey's Opera
9. Pearl Harbor
10. If Boys Were Girls

(I find it very hard to leave out of this list: New Neighbors, Dewey's Special Class, Traffic Ticket, Traffic Jam, Malcolm Babysits, Home Alone 4, Ida's Boyfriend, Reese Joins The Army, Cheerleader, Forwards Backwards etc.)

I think it shows that Season 1 still turns out to be my favourite!

Rich

Last edited:

Ryebeach

My favorites:

"Fowards Backwards" - Like "Bowling", I liked how the show came up with this clever (imo) way to present the episode.

"Pearl Harbor" - When I first watched this episode, I never laughed so hard as when Malcolm and Reese were dancing to ABBA. Probably my favorite scene of the series. And the family's reaction shot was priceless! Not only that, but knowing why Malcolm and Reese were attempting to be so nice to each other throughout combined with Reese's final line in the episode. A really well set-up episode. Didn't care for Hal's subplot, though.

"If Boys Were Girls" - You would think, a woman who has all boys for children would, at one point or another, wonder just how easier life would be if they were girls instead. I liked how Lois saw each situation in the episode how it actually happened and how it would presumably happen if her kids were girls. Really showcased Jane Kaczmarek's talent here and all the cast were used well. They squeezed a lot into this half hour, that's for sure and it paid off!

"Hal's Christmas Gift" - Lois' parking lot road rage incident was one of the most memorable (and hilarious!) scenes of the series but what I loved even more was her look and line to Reese after reciting the story to the family. "Not ONE word!" LOL! I also liked how Hal's lie spiraled out of control and led to the dark place of him stealing Malcolm's credit card.

"Lois Strikes Back" - Loved Lois defending Reese to those girls who played the prank on him. But loved even more the brutally honest scene between Reese and Lois near the end of the episode. It was rare we got to see Reese and Lois in a serious scene and for me, it worked!

"Reese Comes Home" - I enjoyed seeing how determined Lois was throughout this episode to finding Reese. She would, literally, stop at nothing to bring Reese home. And the final scene with Dewey and Malcolm clearly very sad that Reese was no longer around to their faces changing dramatically when they saw him and hugged him. A great moment in the series, imo. Touching and funny in a way only MITM could pull off credibly.

"Graduation" - I've read of many folks being disappointed with the series finale but I felt it was the perfect way for the series to end. All of the characters have shifted to a new place in their lives. Not necessarily where they expected or wanted to be but it's where they are. And it's left in such a way that you know each family member will always be there for one another through whatever hardships come in the future and that everyone is going to be alright. I liked the positive note the series ended on. To me, it was just right.

ChesterHarris

I'm surprised nobody has said 'Houseboat' yet, that has to be my all time favorite episode. I especially like the newly formed friendship between Stevie and Reese in this episode. Also I like the way Hal's character shines through when he buys Malcolm that fishing rod despite the fact that Malcolm refused to help Hal in the clothes shop.

Aside from that I love the episode with the giant catapult and the episode 'Hal's Christmas Present' I think it's called.

However, I do think that 'Graduation' was slightly disappointing. The episode as a whole was good but I feel that they could have done so much more with the ending sequence than they did.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised nobody has said 'Houseboat' yet, that has to be my all time favorite episode. I especially like the newly formed friendship between Stevie and Reese in this episode. Also I like the way Hal's character shines through when he buys Malcolm that fishing rod despite the fact that Malcolm refused to help Hal in the clothes shop.

Aside from that I love the episode with the giant catapult and the episode 'Hal's Christmas Present' I think it's called.

However, I do think that 'Graduation' was slightly disappointing. The episode as a whole was good but I feel that they could have done so much more with the ending sequence than they did.

Welcome Chester, we hope you enjoy your stay.

flipfreak4

My favourite of all time is "Bowling", just because I think the whole concept is genius :D "Shame" may possibly tie for first place.

But Reese Comes Home will always have a special place in my heart, if only for the 'hug' scene. And I actually love Lois' Sister, for that monologue Lois delivers in the hospital.

And, though some people appear to hate her, Cynthia is actually one of my favourite characters, so Cynthia's Back is pretty high up on my list too.

Oh, and "Convention"! I love that, too :D

I love how the title is "#1 Best Episode" and yet we all seem to be naming about 5 each :D We should do a bulk-vote for favourite episodes and come up with a top ten or something...

Gill

'Rollerskate' and 'Bowling' were ties for first in my opinion. I saw them on the last week of December, what a way to end 2009! 'Rollerskate' was just fantastic and 'Bowling' was really funny. :) I can't really say anything about 'Graduation' since I still haven't seen it and FX went back to season 1, so I'll just have to wait.

zachman93

I gotta say, Season 7 so far has struck me personally as incredibly good so far - up to Jessica Stays Over. Easily one of my new favourite episodes, because Reese and Hal were hilarious, but mostly because it contains the best acting I've seen Frankie do in a full season or two. Really believable expressions for once and some solid line delivery - and his interplay with Jane was really great, both from an acting perspective and a canonical one as his Malcolm.

It felt genuine - maybe the superb acting was a director queue to help strengthen this first-ever real Lois-Malcolm bonding? Either way, I can safely say that I'm now sure Frankie never lost his acting expressiveness - it seems to have just been waiting for the right episode.

Richiepiep

Administrator

I have to agree here. 'Houseboat' is one of my favourite eppies and I played it several times over and showed it to friends when I first watched it. Strange I didn't mention it.

Rich

Richiepiep

Administrator
I gotta say, Season 7 so far has struck me personally as incredibly good so far - up to Jessica Stays Over. Easily one of my new favourite episodes, because Reese and Hal were hilarious, but mostly because it contains the best acting I've seen Frankie do in a full season or two. Really believable expressions for once and some solid line delivery - and his interplay with Jane was really great, both from an acting perspective and a canonical one as his Malcolm.

It felt genuine - maybe the superb acting was a director queue to help strengthen this first-ever real Lois-Malcolm bonding? Either way, I can safely say that I'm now sure Frankie never lost his acting expressiveness - it seems to have just been waiting for the right episode.

Great review! I feel exactly the same way about Frankie's acting and Malcolm's bonding with Lois, and how Lois finally shows she can't handle her boys and keep up her idea of rigorous upbringing in S7. I thought that was a great theme, which allowed for more 'humanity' instead of treating screaming Lois and baffled, socially inept Malcolm as stock characters.

I felt Malcolm (and Frankie) got sidetracked in the course of the seasons to pay more attention to other characters, and how Frankie got reduced more or less to showing surprise and/or disgust at all the foolish things his relatives and friends did, without showing a development of character or an active role of his own.

I guess it's part of a routine creeping in and, yes, lack of direction and strong writing. As Bryan Cranston always says, it's mostly the writing that brings out the best in actors.

Rich

Last edited:

zachman93

As to the sidetracking thing - exactly! For a while there Malcolm was acting as nothing more than narrator and "absurdity guage", if you will. Very refreshing to see his character and Muniz's acting talent featured for once.

Movieye

I would be hard pressed to name a favorite episode... but the ones that come to mind:

Waterpark - I think every trademark MITM element was in play here and in perfect balance. The Malcolm/Reese rivalry, the Hal/Lois relationship, Dewey-ness:D, and strange elements like the hamster ball! And with the abrupt end to the babysitter (Bea Arthur) punctuating that dance to Abba's "Fernando" - wow, everything was going here!

Smunday - Lois rising from the bed like a vampire, clutching Francis' letter!!!

Reese Drives - Great lines in this episode - the police bullhorn interpretation of Lois' demands - and Reese's reaction ("That's not my mother!") and of course, the Dewey/Reese wars - ("Give them a reason! Give them a reason!")

Ida's Boyfriend - Grandma be drugging the man from China! And the Dewey/Reese wars at their best when Dewey wishes Reese away and grabs the dumpling.

Graduation - Lois' speech at the end brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't stop sobbing, especially when she talked about why Malcolm should be a great president. It was a perfect bookend to the premiere episode.

Over all the seasons, I think Reese's character had problems in Season 6 and 7. It was one thing to make him a bully/thug, then a budding chef, but then when the writers emphasized his dumbness, I think that didn't ring true to me.

Malcolm, Dewey, Francis, Hal and Lois - definitely loved the characters' evolution over the years.

And great secondary characters like Grandma Ida, Craig, Stevie, Abe and Kittie were great comic foils.

I especially loved the early seasons where Abe and Kittie were the most overprotective parents ever!

So much great writing I miss! That DVD set is sorely needed!

alster

Malcolm Vs Reese

Series 2 Episode 21 where Francis sets Malcolm and Reese against each other then uses the prize they were fighting for himself. Their revenge is so so sweet. Dewey is trusted to look after Craig's cat Hal tries to help find him with simply hilarious results

Last edited:

sumitmanu

I have absolutely loved the series but I dont know how many would agree that after absolutely great first 2 seasons, there was a dip in 3rd and 4th a bit .. then again 5th was better and 6th and 7th (so far) have been hilarious .. Although difficult to find favorites .. I would like to mention:
1. Bots and Bees (Loved the old crazy Hal rising in absence of Louis supervision)
2. Red dress (absolutely loved the mind games between mother and sons)
3. Dinner out
4. Reese comes home (there were so many hilarious subplots in this and yes loved the last scene when Reese comes back and meets Dewey and Malcolm and well they got on with troubling the world).
5. Halloween

And well as far as characters go all of them are just perfect .. with Reese, Dewey, Hal being my personal favorites ..

As far as Reese is concerned I think his dumbness combined with his aggression really makes for so many funny scenes .. and plays good foil for Dewey who gets his vendetta from Reese using that ...

Also Hal is simply awesome as dad with his over scared, protective behavior .. Overall really a superb show ..

I would be hard pressed to name a favorite episode... but the ones that come to mind:

Waterpark - I think every trademark MITM element was in play here and in perfect balance. The Malcolm/Reese rivalry, the Hal/Lois relationship, Dewey-ness:D, and strange elements like the hamster ball! And with the abrupt end to the babysitter (Bea Arthur) punctuating that dance to Abba's "Fernando" - wow, everything was going here!

Smunday - Lois rising from the bed like a vampire, clutching Francis' letter!!!

Reese Drives - Great lines in this episode - the police bullhorn interpretation of Lois' demands - and Reese's reaction ("That's not my mother!") and of course, the Dewey/Reese wars - ("Give them a reason! Give them a reason!")

Ida's Boyfriend - Grandma be drugging the man from China! And the Dewey/Reese wars at their best when Dewey wishes Reese away and grabs the dumpling.

Graduation - Lois' speech at the end brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't stop sobbing, especially when she talked about why Malcolm should be a great president. It was a perfect bookend to the premiere episode.

Over all the seasons, I think Reese's character had problems in Season 6 and 7. It was one thing to make him a bully/thug, then a budding chef, but then when the writers emphasized his dumbness, I think that didn't ring true to me.

Malcolm, Dewey, Francis, Hal and Lois - definitely loved the characters' evolution over the years.

And great secondary characters like Grandma Ida, Craig, Stevie, Abe and Kittie were great comic foils.

I especially loved the early seasons where Abe and Kittie were the most overprotective parents ever!

So much great writing I miss! That DVD set is sorely needed!

Soniccream

My favourites would be (in no particular order):

Thanksgiving
Malcolm drunk was just so funny!

Pearl Harbour
I love this episode, and how ironic it is that Reese figured out what Jessica was implying, whereas a genius like Malcolm took about a minute to understand! Also the dancing to ABBA was hilarious :)

Bowling
This episode was hilarious and made me cringe so much! The two different perspectives worked brilliantly.

Company Picnic Parts 1 & 2
These eps were so funny, especially with Malcolm thinking Lauren fancied him and then having that reaction to the plant at the end :D

Billboard
This ep made me laugh so much!

Cynthia's Back
I loved Malcolm's reaction to Cynthia's er... assets! "Mommy"!! :D

Water Park
I was in fits of giggles at this!

If Boys Were Girls
Just a really clever episode!

Hal's Birthday
The family's reaction to Francis' marriage was hilarious and I loved the boys running off to the hotel!

Grandma Sues
Loved the boys' reaction to Lois' pregnancy and Malcolm hearing Hal scream in the car!

There are loads more, but I particularly loved these.

Last edited:

Karin

Staff - The One Who Mods
- Roller Skates. Hands down.
The first time I saw it I just couldn’t stop laughing. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt.
Followed by Malcom holds his Tongue, Bots & the Bees and Hal Quits. (I admit I like the episodes when they focus on Hal's craziness most :rolleyes:)
Waterpark is one of my favorites too, like others mentioned; it got all the classic Malcom elements in it. Dewey’s part is also great and I love how he gets along with the babysitter.
The longer I think about it the more great episodes I remember. But for now I’ll stick with these. :)

smlime16

Way to many amazing episodes to choose just one. So here is my list (not in order)

1. pilot- I always love pilots because they are where you look back when you are many episodes in
2. The Red Dress- The first time we see Lois and the boys at war
3. Lois vs. Evil- Malcolm's flirting is hilarious
4. Waterpark- There is so much change in character for this episode
5. Malcolm vs. Reese- We finally see thatFrancis treats his brothers worse than they treat Dewey
6. Evacuation- Malcolm's "first" attempt at becoming free of the the tyranic rule of Lois
7. Hal's Birthday- The relationship between Piama and Lois begins
8. Family Reunion- The last 5 minutes are just great and say a lot about the relationships in the family
9. Stupid Girl- Malcolm is just hilarious
10. Fowards Backwards- May be my favorite because of the filming perfection
11. Malcolm Holds His Tongue- His thoughts and the reactions to his silence are great
12. Vegas- The rabbit and Lois are the best to watch
13. Thanksgiving- Malcolm drunk? :)
14. Ida's Boyfriend- was not expecting the end
15. Billboard- Reese's dream
16. Blackout- amazing filming
17. Mono- Lois and Malcolm are unreal
18. (out of order) Halloween- The old man gets his revenge
19. A.A.- My favorite episode of Francis
20. Graduation- I can't say this is a favorite, maybe my least favorite just because it means the end. However, it ended the series by bringing it right back to the start in many ways.

Wow, I kept it down to 20, I'm sadly proud of myself :) Even considering I havent yet seen all of the episodes

cdc0205

Best Episodes

My top five are

1.Red Dress(lois' mindgames andthe boys tieing Dewey to the door):D
2. Pearl Harbor( the boys dancing to Abba and the familys reaction. VENDETTA!):2thumbsup:
3.Waterpark(Malcolm pulling Reese's pants down and Reese's mouth to mouth.:lol:
4. Christmas(Francis toturing grandma Ida with the music card and her stabbing him with the nitting needle.):laugh:
5.Family Reuinion( the boys revenge at the end.):w00t: